Question about two stroke oil

benski

Threads
Amazing how technology has changed over the years. There are several different job-specific specially formulated 2-stroke oils out there, including biodegradeable versions for use in water craft.:thumbsup::cool:

Black Bart

Threads
This spring I bought a new mower and I have been mixing one ounce of synthetic 2 stroke oil per gallon of gas for a little upper cylinder lubrication.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This spring I bought a new mower and I have been mixing one ounce of synthetic 2 stroke oil per gallon of gas for a little upper cylinder lubrication.

All you are doing is making carbon on top of the pistons and valves. Doing more harm then good.

Black Bart

Threads
All you are doing is making carbon on top of the pistons and valves. Doing more harm then good.
That small amount will burn during combustion.

I have seen engine run top oilers for years without carbon buildup.

2 things you are not considering #1 it is a premium synthetic made to be run through the engine and #2 it is a much smaller amount than what would be used in a 2 stroke.

Old myths die hard don't they.

Hidalgo

Threads
We are probably close to the same age, me 63. Dad had a service station about a mile from Watts Bar Reservoir, Tennessee River. 'Bout '59 through '65

WOW ..... I live in Chattanooga, and have fished Watts Bar for many years. More likely than not, I have purchased fuel from your Dad's station somewhere along the line. :thumbsup:

I also well remember putting MANY cans of 30w oil into MANY 6 gallon gas cans for the boats stopping in. Best I remember everybody wanted a qt. of oil to the 6 gallons. That same 30w we also put into cars. I remember one dude always had his own oil for his boat, said it was special made for his engine..............:biggrin:

Wait a minute ........ you were putting 30W engine oil in the fuel and NOT 2-cycle oil? I never heard of that being done before. :eek:

kermit911

Threads
When I owned my hovercraft I had a 2 stroke Rotax on it. The mix was 50:1 and she had HIGH rpm's, I think it was around 6000 rpm at full throttle. There was an additive that made the exhaust smell like blue berries, I will try and find it again. It was really interesting and I received a lot of comments about it.

Dave

Hidalgo

Threads
There was an additive that made the exhaust smell like blue berries, I will try and find it again. It was really interesting and I received a lot of comments about it.

Dave

There are several "aromatic" additives that are available for addition to the fuel mixture. Most (if not all) do nothing for the lubrication are are advertised as such. The only "aromatically recognizable" lubricant that I can recall was KLOTZ 2-cycle Racing Oil. We used it extensively in our 2-stroke Kart engines and also our bass boats. It has a very distinctive aroma.

Black Bart

Threads
There are several "aromatic" additives that are available for addition to the fuel mixture. Most (if not all) do nothing for the lubrication are are advertised as such. The only "aromatically recognizable" lubricant that I can recall was KLOTZ 2-cycle Racing Oil. We used it extensively in our 2-stroke Kart engines and also our bass boats. It has a very distinctive aroma.
I used that stuff years ago in a CZ race Bike that I rode Motor X with.:biggrin:

oldyellr

Threads
I used that stuff years ago in a CZ race Bike that I rode Motor X with.:biggrin:
Hey, you rode a CZ? I had two of them, a twin-pipe 250, then a '69 250. Rode 250 Junior in Southern Ontario and a couple of times in NH, VT and MA. I won the Ontario Junior Championship and came 2nd in the Canadian Junior Championship in 1966.

Black Bart

Threads
Hey, you rode a CZ? I had two of them, a twin-pipe 250, then a '69 250. Rode 250 Junior in Southern Ontario and a couple of times in NH, VT and MA. I won the Ontario Junior Championship and came 2nd in the Canadian Junior Championship in 1966.

Small world isn't it. Mine was a 1970 360

I also drove a sprint car for about 10 years.