Push Mowing Niche Market For Part-Time/Start Up. Advise/Thoughts?

lawnguy1

Threads
  • / Push Mowing Niche Market For Part-Time/Start Up. Advise/Thoughts?
I've got the morning off on account on the weather so I want to run with this thread because this is exactly where I was at one time. I left the lawncare company I was with and all I had was a 22 inch huskee and a 40 dollar featherlite weedeater. As is the case with every new spring, a lot of guys fresh out of hs whose rich daddys bought them zero turns and Trailor setups were all over the place and at first I was intimidated when I would pull up to a job in my beat up truck and have to lift my mower out of the bed as they were riding off the ramps with their shiny equipment laughing. But I stuck with it because I knew either they would become burnt out, get lazy or just fail to provide good service. I relied not on equipment but drive. By the end of the summer I had enough money to advance my equipment and was able to grow from there. Ric is right completely in regards to long term continuity in the business. As for right now though you can do it on what u have now and then continue to grow from there. Clients RESPECT a man who is humble and hardworking and cares about his clients even if his equipment is inexpensive. They'll choose him anyday over a cocky kid whose only out there to make a quick buck

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've got the morning off on account on the weather so I want to run with this thread because this is exactly where I was at one time. I left the lawncare company I was with and all I had was a 22 inch huskee and a 40 dollar featherlite weedeater. As is the case with every new spring, a lot of guys fresh out of hs whose rich daddys bought them zero turns and Trailor setups were all over the place and at first I was intimidated when I would pull up to a job in my beat up truck and have to lift my mower out of the bed as they were riding off the ramps with their shiny equipment laughing. But I stuck with it because I knew either they would become burnt out, get lazy or just fail to provide good service. I relied not on equipment but drive. By the end of the summer I had enough money to advance my equipment and was able to grow from there. Ric is right completely in regards to long term continuity in the business. As for right now though you can do it on what u have now and then continue to grow from there. Clients RESPECT a man who is humble and hardworking and cares about his clients even if his equipment is inexpensive. They'll choose him anyday over a cocky kid whose only out there to make a quick buck

I agree with what you're saying but I was under the impression that the OP had been in or worked for a business for a number of years and was just trying something new with the Push Mower Business. He said he would be looking to target small/medium sized yards that I could mow in 30min or so which IMO to do along with Trimming, Edging and blowing things off is going to take longer than 30 minutes. I'm strictly a residential operator and most of my yards are small / medium yards and the ones I do with the push mowers I can mow in thirty minutes but when you add 400ft of edging, trimming plus blowing things off it takes more time than you think to do things right.
Again like you I started small and built things up to where I am today and if that is what the OP is looking to do I hope things work well for him, I just think doing it with Push Mowers is going to be a tough way to make a living. :smile:

Threads
I push mow all of my yards. Most of them are around 1/4 acre, and they take me 35-50 minutes to mow.

CZLawnCare

Threads
I push mow all of my yards. Most of them are around 1/4 acre, and they take me 35-50 minutes to mow.

Lmf if you dont mind me asking how much do you charge on average for a 1/4 acre lot?

Threads
Lmf if you dont mind me asking how much do you charge on average for a 1/4 acre lot?

I know some people are going to argue with me on whether this is the right thing to do or not, but I charge $20 because this is not what I am making a living on. If it was to "pay the bills" I would charge more.

CZLawnCare

Threads
I understand what youre saying but i would charge more if i was in your position because $20 is already low especially when youre push mowing it all.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know some people are going to argue with me on whether this is the right thing to do or not, but I charge $20 because this is not what I am making a living on. If it was to "pay the bills" I would charge more.

If you went up to $30 would you lose any yards ?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I understand what youre saying but i would charge more if i was in your position because $20 is already low especially when youre push mowing it all.

I agree $20 is very low but you have to remember he is a teenager cutting the neighbors yards.
I believe he does it more for the enjoyment of cutting grass then for the money I know I do.

CZLawnCare

Threads
I agree $20 is very low but you have to remember he is a teenager cutting the neighbors yards.
I believe he does it more for the enjoyment of cutting grass then for the money I know I do.

Oh i fully understand because im a teenager too and i started because i really enjoy cutting grass and love lawn equipment but i still dont think that is a valid reason to work for less than you worth, i use push mowers for front and a 32" zero turn for back yards on 1/8 acre lots and charge $20-30 per yard and i still enjoy what i do and enjoy the money im making and the opportunity for my buisness to grow because of it

Threads
If you went up to $30 would you lose any yards ?

I probably would lose a few. I wouldn't lose my loyal customers but then there are the customers that just don't feel like mowing their yard but don't want to spend a lot of money for a "big company" to mow their lawn.