Price of mowers vs Benefits

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi KennyV, I have question about this . . .

But the quality of batteries I know go down very fast, especially when plugged for a long time.

That is a function of the charger management circuitry...
The older 'timer' chargers had no charge management... I think you will find that on "most" rechargeables today... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi KennyV, I have question about this . . .

Does this mean it's plugged the whole time before and after using? I am curious about the battery. Maybe there are better batteries these days. But the quality of batteries I know go down very fast, especially when plugged for a long time.

It Means you plug in the batteries to bring them to full capacities or charge to mow and after use you have to recharge again. The problem with batteries is that they will only take so many charges before they lose the ability to hold a charge for any length of time. The Hustler Zeon I believe uses a 46 volt system and the batteries are a deep cycle battery like boat batteries and just like any battery they won't last forever and replacement isn't cheap.

Don't get me wrong, battery operated stuff has a place in some hand tools and such and it's meant for occasional use, but to have an 7 to 9 thousand dollar investment in a battery operated mower for around the house for the occasional use to me is senseless.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It Means you plug in the batteries to bring them to full capacities or charge to mow and after use you have to recharge again. The problem with batteries is that they will only take so many charges before they lose the ability to hold a charge for any length of time. The Hustler Zeon I believe uses a 46 volt system and the batteries are a deep cycle battery like boat batteries and just like any battery they won't last forever and replacement isn't cheap.

Don't get me wrong, battery operated stuff has a place in some hand tools and such and it's meant for occasional use, but to have an 7 to 9 thousand dollar investment in a battery operated mower for around the house for the occasional use to me is senseless.

"It Means you plug in the batteries to bring them to full capacities or charge to mow and after use you have to recharge again." ...Really? :laughing:

"The problem with batteries is that they will only take so many charges before they lose the ability to hold a charge for any length of time." Another REALLY?

"Just like any battery they won't last forever and replacement isn't cheap." 'they wont last forever'... REALLY? :laughing:

"The Hustler Zeon I believe uses a 46 volt system" Oh... REALLY??

"battery operated stuff has a place in some hand tools and such and it's meant for occasional use" One more, REALLY? (what percent of Scissor are battery operated? And all the other industrial applications that are predominantly battery operated? ...?

"an 7 to 9 thousand dollar investment in a battery operated mower for around the house for the occasional use to me is senseless." ARE you possibly wrong on the price... also:laughing:?

Like I suggested earlier... you MAY want to GO LOOK AT one of these, try it out... Oh and get operational costs over any period of time.. :laughing::laughing:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
"It Means you plug in the batteries to bring them to full capacities or charge to mow and after use you have to recharge again." ...Really? :laughing:

"The problem with batteries is that they will only take so many charges before they lose the ability to hold a charge for any length of time." Another REALLY?

"Just like any battery they won't last forever and replacement isn't cheap." 'they wont last forever'... REALLY? :laughing:

"The Hustler Zeon I believe uses a 46 volt system" Oh... REALLY??

"battery operated stuff has a place in some hand tools and such and it's meant for occasional use" One more, REALLY? (what percent of Scissor are battery operated? And all the other industrial applications that are predominantly battery operated? ...?

"an 7 to 9 thousand dollar investment in a battery operated mower for around the house for the occasional use to me is senseless." ARE you possibly wrong on the price... also:laughing:?

Like I suggested earlier... you MAY want to GO LOOK AT one of these, try it out... Oh and get operational costs over any period of time.. :laughing::laughing:

Yes Really on all accounts.:wink: It uses four 12-volt lead-acid batteries that powers twin DC deck motors. The batteries also power twin AC hydrostatic drive motors, one at each rear wheel and its top speed is only 6 mph. Am I possibly wrong about the price, only if pop mechanics is wrong, it costs right at $7000 and for a homeowner to invest that kind money to cut maybe a thousand feet of lawn is ridiculous. Operational costs? Lets see I mow 12 lawns a day at 30 minutes a lawn, that means I'll have to charge the batteries four times a day six days a week, I wonder how long they would last:thumbdown: a month maybe two? Heck that means I'll only replace the batteries four times a year :eek: And at the end of one season I wonder how many of those motors I'd have to replace?
Face the Facts, for a home owner the mower is to much of an investment, the home owner would be better off buying a ZTR from Home Depot and for commercial or residential lawn care, for a lack of a better term it's junk. :smile:

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well Ric...
You could check some of the things you stated as fact.

4 x 12 volts is not 46 volts :biggrin:
You must be using Ric math on the price also... "7 to 9 thousand dollar investment"
I have never shopped price at "pop mechanics"
I do know if you check a dealer... The "list price" is less than 7k ... I do not know very many folks that pay list... but I see you are ok with making it sound like 7 to 9 thousand...? :biggrin:

And operational costs ... actual operational costs, you might want to plug in some real #'s there also... :biggrin:

I realize you want to make this mower look bad:confused2:... I am simply suggesting that you actually LOOK at one.
and the actual stats... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well Ric...
You could check some of the things you stated as fact.

4 x 12 volts is not 46 volts :biggrin:
You must be using Ric math on the price also... "7 to 9 thousand dollar investment"
I have never shopped price at "pop mechanics"
I do know if you check a dealer... The "list price" is less than 7k ... I do not know very many folks that pay list... but I see you are ok with making it sound like 7 to 9 thousand...? :biggrin:

And operational costs ... actual operational costs, you might want to plug in some real #'s there also... :biggrin:

I realize you want to make this mower look bad:confused2:... I am simply suggesting that you actually LOOK at one.
and the actual stats... :smile:KennyV

Excuse me oops :ashamed: my mistake 48 volt and the price is 6500 to 6999 dollars depending on where you purchase it plus tax, you can figure tax for your state. I think my 7K out the door as I quoted is pretty close.
After running for 80 minutes the mower needs to be recharged. The recharge time to attain full charge takes 16 hours and it has to be left on charge continually 24/7 to maintain the charge.As far as making the mower look bad, it does that on it's own.

You keep suggesting that I actually LOOK at one. I don't want to look at one, as a home owner I have no use for one, it's way over priced and for anyone to use it in a commercial business is a joke, so why would I waste my time.

Actual operational costs, you want me to plug in some real numbers, Now how do you do that when Hustler themselves don't have real numbers only claims.
I as a home owner would really have a hard time paying 7K for a 42" ZTR when can buy a 50" ZTR for under 3k out the door with a 20 hp engine at Home depot.

Basically it all comes down to opinion Kenny, if you think the mower is the greatest thing since bubble gum go buy the thing, I wish you all the luck in the world, personally I wouldn't waste my time.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
LOOK at one. I don't want to look at one,

I wouldn't waste my time.

( if you keep guessing at the price, you will eventually get closer.)

YOU should not waste YOUR time...
These grapes are much too sour for you!
:smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
( if you keep guessing at the price, you will eventually get closer.)

YOU should not waste YOUR time...
These grapes are much too sour for you!
:smile:KennyV

http://www.williamstractor.com/geta...9e0b-f6786b1f37aa/HUSTLER-PRICE-LIST.pdf.aspx

Hustler Zeon Electric Riding Mower | TekPicks

Smittys Lawn and Garden Equipment: Hustler Zeon Electric Mower

Hustler Zeon | MSE Hickman

I can list others but for you it would be a waste of time because I guess they're all wrong too BTW the top link is hustlers own price list and they list it at $6999 you will have to scroll down a bit to find the zeon.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric...
I believe if you would have just read what I said about 5 posts back... "The "list price" is less than 7k ... I do not know very many folks that pay list... but I see you are ok with making it sound like 7 to 9 thousand...?"

"YOU should not waste YOUR time...
These grapes are much too sour for you!"

I do know the manufacturers advertised LIST price... I am going to guess here that you may be a clever enough fellow not to pay list price on equipment, I could be wrong there. I don't know many more polite ways to put that.
:biggrin:KennyV

PS.
I would once again suggest that you actually look at one, perhaps try it out. You may discover something that you overlooked when you formed all your 'opinions' with your "I don't want to look at one" statement.

Having said this... I see it is all getting very repetitious and it is the end of the year... so I will leave this in the uncut lawns of 2010... I will move into 2011 with nothing but :smile::smile::smile: for this new year.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric...
I believe if you would have just read what I said about 5 posts back... "The "list price" is less than 7k ... I do not know very many folks that pay list... but I see you are ok with making it sound like 7 to 9 thousand...?"

"YOU should not waste YOUR time...
These grapes are much too sour for you!"

I do know the manufacturers advertised LIST price... I am going to guess here that you may be a clever enough fellow not to pay list price on equipment, I could be wrong there. I don't know many more polite ways to put that.
:biggrin:KennyV

PS.
I would once again suggest that you actually look at one, perhaps try it out. You may discover something that you overlooked when you formed all your 'opinions' with your "I don't want to look at one" statement.

Having said this... I see it is all getting very repetitious and it is the end of the year... so I will leave this in the uncut lawns of 2010... I will move into 2011 with nothing but :smile::smile::smile: for this new year.

Kenny I just called a Hustler dealer, keeping in mind that I have said the cost is between 7K and 9K, I can buy the Zeon for $5999 plus $599 for the quick charger makes the mower $6599 without tax, with tax I think my 7K out the door as I quoted is pretty close. Figuring tax on just the $5999 it will still run real close to $6500 out the door as the quick charger is an option. Either way my 7K out the door as I quoted is pretty close and BTW the list price of $6999 list is correct.