Please help with parts lookup Kohler CV20

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This CV20 appears to be exception to the service manual instructions. Personally I have yet to see a CV20 with a pan gasket.

Yes Rivets you got to take it easy on the cleanup of the RTV. Many techs don't know how to remove the rocker covers without damaging them otherwise too.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW the covers are easy cause they will sit in a pan full of old petrol which will soften the silicone enough for it to rub off.
It is the head that is the problem.
Easy if it is off cause you are doing a head gasket but a PIA if in the mower with frames , mufflers & brackets in the way.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I must gotten use to cleaning up the head rocker cover areas while the engines are mounted. No worst than those baked on / stuck on gaskets. I do ran into rocker cover screws that are seized on some Kohler twins that break off. Then it drilling them out and resizing to M7-1.00. Usually its the one right over the exhaust port.

Most times I use a backbone razor blade to do this work. Getting the surfaces oil free is a little time consuming as I know the RTV does stick/setup properly if the oil is allowed to touch the RTV before it fully cures.

louky1150

Threads
The consensus seems to be for the sealant. If I take it apart and find that it was built with a gasket, am I going to run into trouble with clearances if I go back with sealant?

Also, I read the list of approved sealants in the shop manual furnished by StarTech. Some of these seem to be pricey and only available in relatively large quantities. Will the Loctite 587, 598, or ultra copper be sufficient?

Will carb cleaner be OK for the final cleaning prior to applying the Loctite?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

louky1150

Threads
Rivets: Thanks for furnishing the manual. My very next question was about bolt tightening sequence and torque!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My findings is that the thickness between sealant and a single gasket is too small to worry about.

louky1150

Threads
My findings is that the thickness between sealant and a single gasket is too small to worry about.
Thanks, Rivets. Can you share which of the sealants you've had success with?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are those who will disagree with me on what sealant to use, but I have found that the two I will recommend are probably the most expensive, but I know they work for me and I don’t have to worry about taking it apart a second time. To me the price of the sealant is cheaper than my labor if I use a cheaper one and have to redo it. I only use either Honda bond or Kubota bond sealants. Just my opinion and those who disagree with me can go to the back of the longest line of those who think I’m a crazy old fart.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Type of RTV sealant isn't as picky as following the directions for its use. The sealant Kohler supplies their dealers has a 1 minute set time. Hondabond is go stuff also and will work. I use what I have handy sometimes and depending on how big of a hurry I am to get it back to the customer. Some of those RTV sealants require 24-48 hour cure times.

I have used brake cleaner and rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces prior to applying sealant. Most important thing is getting all the oil and grease residue off of the surfaces.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ether is about as good as it gets when you're in a hurry to clean surfaces & use clear silicone as a gasket on 18 wheeler axles & hub caps.