Please help with parts lookup Kohler CV20

louky1150

Threads
I have developed the well documented leak at the sump gasket that looks like it is coming out of the oil filter. I was finally able to get the cleaned up and jumped my safeties so I could actually see it running. The drip is coming down from the sump but is getting blown on the back of the filter mounting plate, then dripping down. I've researched what I need to do to get the engine off and plan on replacing the gasket and the shaft seal. Most things I've read on this caution against replacing the split alignment pin and substitute an alignment pin that doesn't have the split. The gaskets seem to be packaged without this but with an o-ring. I have found a part number for the pin but some of the pictures seem to show a solid pin and some pics still show the split. Can anyone furnish a good Kohler part number for this pin without the split? TIA.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jacks Small Engine is where I purchase most parts from.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What split alignment pin are you talking about?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hope you don't mean the sump to crankcase gasket as there is none other than properly applied RTV.

louky1150

Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
17 years ago they may have used a gasket where specified by the equipment manufacturers, but technicIan’s have learned that sealant does a better job.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
17 years ago they may have used a gasket where specified by the equipment manufacturers, but technicIan’s have learned that sealant does a better job.
Only on parts like sumps that are rarely removed
Parts like rocker covers that should come off every couple of years need gaskets .
I once got the crankies & charged the customer a full hour for removing all of the silicon from his intek twin rocker covers.
HE bitched about it then found out the B & S techs charge 2 hours to adjust the valve lash for exactly this reason.
Probably fit better than 100 intek rocker gaskets to engines that were originally glued on with silicon.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, this guy has a Kohler, not Briggs, and I’m just passing on the service manual instructions. Most Kohers call for gaskets in all other areas, with a few exceptions. In this case Briggs is in a different ball field and I agree with you, no sealants. I have found that you can remove sealant from valve covers very quickly with a wire wheel, but I did ruin a few before I learned how to do it without heating the metal. Now it’s a 5 minute job.