Picked up a used BR 430 - wont start.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A plugged up exhaust can send things backward, as the combusted material has no where to go. Might just remove the muffler and start it for a few seconds, see how it runs.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry I am new at all of this still. What do you mean by this one? Isn't the intake the carb itself? What is blowback?

For the exhaust, I looked in there, on the big muffler over on the opposite side where all the exhaust gas shoots out, right? Doesn't look blocked or anything I guess.

As for primer bulb, short tube goes to carb, other tube goes into the engine or someplace. Not sure as I didn't follow it. Bulb looks like it's working as it fills with gas when running and when I push it prior to running I can hear stuff being sucked up into the carb.

A clogged muffler is unlikely. The screen is usually the first thing to get stopped up. There should be a couple of screws and a plate that fits over the exhaust hole. Being old like it is, it's possible that someone has removed it. You probably won't be able to see the screen without taking the plate off. They're sometimes tough to see if they're clogged.
I'm not sure about your model, but you may have a screw in type "tail pipe." Where it's got what looks like a nut around the mufflers hole. Either way, there should be a screen in there.
Personally I don't think that's your problem. But I'm not a guru like some of these other gents. Either way, it's something that needs to looked at. And it's a 2 minute check. Easy peasy, Japaneasy.

If the screen is clogged, you can use some brake clean or carb clean spray on it and wire brush it lightly. THE best way is how StarTech explained. Heat it with a torch til it's glowing red. Then hold it under the faucet and cool it off quickly. If it's real bad, it might take a couple of tries.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also, if you have the carb off again, look through the intake and look at the condition of the piston for damage.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is the muffler setup.
muff.PNG

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you assemble the air filter assy to the blower but leave the air filter out will it start and run?

FredBacher

Threads
Okay I will take that apart next and check the screen. Would that have an impact to what is going on? I went out and started it up a few more times. Without the air filter and the black cover it's firing right up and blasting away, the internals must be okay as the engine is doing its thing and the air is so strong its blowing leaves across the street. Once that cover goes on like in the last video, dead, and it wont start.

If you assemble the air filter assy to the blower but leave the air filter out will it start and run?

I have no tried that yet.. do you also mean to leave the black inside plastic part off as well? The black cover kills it once tightened down, I will try putting just the orange cover on next without the inside pieces and also leave the air filter off.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there something pinched somewhere around the carburetor? Because just putting the cover and the air filter on it should have almost no affect.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A partially plugged up exhaust forces the combustion gases back through the intake, and putting the cover over the intake restricts the flow even more, as it is barely running with the air filter off.Two little screws and the tube/screen comes off/out, free and easy thing to check. Also could be carboned over at the exhaust port, but the screen is quite easy to check.tube.PNG

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was mention about checking the piston and cylinder condition. I have found on 2 cycles that it is easier and better if the condition is checked through the exhaust port since the exhaust side is usually the side that get most of the damage from straight gassing and hard carbon deposits. Looking through intake side is usually a lot harder too.

Since the muffler is fully exposed this should be easy. But I would recommend that after the blower is working correctly to replace the shroud as it is a serious safety issue. Major burns can happen.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If one gets blowback through the intake, one usually finds piston damage on the intake side from dirt ingestion. From the looks of the overall condition of the blower, I would recommend removing the muffler first and viewing the piston there for damage before spending any time or money.

I am not familiar with this model, this intake block looks interesting. I am not sure if that is some form of reed valve on the inside, and if that is bad, could also be the problem. Hopefully someone familiar with this particular model will chime in.flange.PNG