Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not conclusive looking at the manual.

p1.PNGp2.PNG

FredBacher

Threads
I took the exhaust thing off. The gasket crumbled in my hands

and there was no sign of a screen anywhere. No blockages in there though.

IMG_20210131_170816.jpg

IMG_20210131_170813.jpg

IMG_20210131_172036.jpg

IMG_20210131_170803.jpg

I ran it a few more times, the carb is leaking. I noticed the air filter area was wet after running.

IMG_20210131_171555.jpg

Took everything off again and saw it is leaking out of the bottom of the carb.

IMG_20210131_173017.jpg

That circled bit is where the fuel kept dripping out.

So, lets talk replacement carbs, I tried and seem to have failed in rebuilding it. I've tried replacing the innards and now I am left with it leaking on me. To see if I can just get this thing going can anyone recommend a replacement I can throw on there to see if it will start and run with the covers on? I'll keep this one handy if so. I know this thing starts right up, I know the air blows, just something I cannot fix with the skills I have is causing the carb to have issues.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took the exhaust thing off. The gasket crumbled in my hands

and there was no sign of a screen anywhere. No blockages in there though.

View attachment 55408

View attachment 55409

View attachment 55411

View attachment 55412

I ran it a few more times, the carb is leaking. I noticed the air filter area was wet after running.

View attachment 55413

Took everything off again and saw it is leaking out of the bottom of the carb.

View attachment 55414

That circled bit is where the fuel kept dripping out.

So, lets talk replacement carbs, I tried and seem to have failed in rebuilding it. I've tried replacing the innards and now I am left with it leaking on me. To see if I can just get this thing going can anyone recommend a replacement I can throw on there to see if it will start and run with the covers on? I'll keep this one handy if so. I know this thing starts right up, I know the air blows, just something I cannot fix with the skills I have is causing the carb to have issues.

My guess is it's coming from the needle. Meaning the metering level isn't correct. Or the needle or seat is bad.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or just got the metering gasket and diaphragm in the wrong order.

FredBacher

Threads
I will take it apart again this weekend and check the order and the pieces inside that part of the carb.

On the other topic, anyone have any recommendations on a replacement carb itself to throw in there and see what happens?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, if you have the carb off, take a peek at the piston skirt, as a condition like I have described will force the air/fuel mixture back out of the intake.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like the price from the Stihl dealer for a carb is @ $150.

430carb.PNG

Telesis

Threads
Fred, as StarTech mentioned, the order of the gaskets and diaphragms is important because they are different on either side of the carb. You can see that on the parts breakdown pic above. In the pic, note that the metering diaphragm gasket(13) goes against the carb body first, then the metering diaphragm(14). However, in the lower half of the pic, the pump diaphragm(16) goes against the carb body first, and then the pump diaphragm gasket(15).

fwiw, good luck!

FredBacher

Threads
Part 16 is the one in my replacement kit that came clear instead of black plastic... and thats the side things are leaking from...

Anyone ever try a knock off carb instead of a full $150 one?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Part 16 is the one in my replacement kit that came clear instead of black plastic... and thats the side things are leaking from...

Anyone ever try a knock off carb instead of a full $150 one?

I've used to those clear plastic pieces before. And can't remember any problems with them. All they really are is like a check valve. The allow fuel in, and keep it from going back. At least that's my understanding.

Unless I've missed something along this discussion, the blower runs fine as long as the air isn't restricted, correct? It idles fine. Sounds like it blows pretty hard.

Did you peak inside the ports to see if their was any cylinder scoring?
Is there any build up of oily dirt coming from behind the flywheel?