People say that new john deere mowers are crap.....

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / People say that new john deere mowers are crap.....
I think what most people are referring to [when dissing Deere] is the 'gt' series.

They are not a classic deere, in the way people think of them. My buddy and I went over one with a fine tooth comb one day (to the dismay of the help at Home Depot). They are an MTD machine with an x-series looking hood.

That's not to automatically assume they're junk. Cubs are MTD, and they are fine machines. They [gt's] are lighter duty. Although the gt series' look just like their Deere and co. built cousins (like the 'x' series), they simply aren't. But, they are worth every penny of the $1500 places that sell them want.

So's a cub cadet.

Don't assume it's a 110 just because it's green and has a yellow seat, and just do like everyone else here said - match the machine to the work.

RTSB

Threads
Real John Deere lawn tractors start with 300 series. Not those big box store JD they make these to compete with Sears and TSC, tractors. Why do people think they can buy a cheap JD look a like tractor and think they are getting a real work horse?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... Why do people think they can buy a cheap JD look a like tractor and think they are getting a real work horse?

Ummm... Because they are deliberately disguised to LOOK that way....? ...:smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Real John Deere lawn tractors start with 300 series. Not those big box store JD they make these to compete with Sears and TSC, tractors. Why do people think they can buy a cheap JD look a like tractor and think they are getting a real work horse?

Because they generally DON'T need or want a workhorse...they want green and yellow, to impress the neighbors, their family members, and the people they graduated with. It's mostly for show (and if they can do it on the cheap, all the better). Then, the fact everyone ELSE tells them they have a great machine that'll work all the livelong day, they begin to think more highly of their machines then they should.

Or, they listen to JD owners, and think the only decent mower to own is a JD......yet they don't have a 300 series budget. So, they go with what they can afford, and are disappointed when it breaks. I hate to tell them, but the 300 series-up break, too. Nothing (NOTHING) is indestructible.

Size and feature for size and feature, these MTD's are usually the best put together, highest quality versions of the MTD line, because JD expects it. So, they usaually are a tad better than the average Husky. (not Husquavarna, either....Husky...the cheap tractors TSC and HD sell...nasty little buggers.)

If you look at my avatar, I am about 228 away from a 300 series. But it was made by Deere and Co. So, I have a piece of s--t? It's as much a JD as any that rolled off the assembly line. It's a R72....not a 318......and I don't expect it to ever be.........but it is a Deere nevertheless!

Carl Bert

Threads
twall said:
I think what most people are referring to [when dissing Deere] is the 'gt' series.

They are not a classic deere, in the way people think of them. My buddy and I went over one with a fine tooth comb one day (to the dismay of the help at Home Depot). They are an MTD machine with an x-series looking hood.

That's not to automatically assume they're junk. Cubs are MTD, and they are fine machines. They [gt's] are lighter duty. Although the gt series' look just like their Deere and co. built cousins (like the 'x' series), they simply aren't. But, they are worth every penny of the $1500 places that sell them want.

So's a cub cadet.

Don't assume it's a 110 just because it's green and has a yellow seat, and just do like everyone else here said - match the machine to the work.

I think your talking about a different model. The GT is just below the GX series, which are considered buy a lot of JD fans, as two of the best lines of garden tractors that JD has ever produced. They were both way overbuilt and made to last a lifetime. Maybe you meant the "L" series or the "G", which you would typically find at Home Depot.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think your talking about a different model. The GT is just below the GX series, which are considered buy a lot of JD fans, as two of the best lines of garden tractors that JD has ever produced. They were both way overbuilt and made to last a lifetime. Maybe you meant the "L" series or the "G", which you would typically find at Home Depot.

Yes, I am wrong there. I meant "LT".........my bad......:ashamed:

There are so many light-duty JD's out now.....tough to remember the letters.......I may be wrong again.....but I coulda sworn I saw this little bitty HD thing that said 'gt' on the hood.........nice tractor........I know you hate them, but I don't care......:biggrin:

Carl Bert

Threads
twall said:
Yes, I am wrong there. I meant "LT".........my bad......:ashamed:

There are so many light-duty JD's out now.....tough to remember the letters.......I may be wrong again.....but I coulda sworn I saw this little bitty HD thing that said 'gt' on the hood.........nice tractor........I know you hate them, but I don't care......:biggrin:

Hey I guess anythings possible, but I hope not. What would we do, anytime referring to one, we would have to say "the OLD GT" or "the NEW GT". Wonder if they ever did it in the past? I doubt it.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey I guess anythings possible, but I hope not. What would we do, anytime referring to one, we would have to say "the OLD GT" or "the NEW GT". Wonder if they ever did it in the past? I doubt it.

Wouldn't it just be better for truth in advertising? "Cheap 133"......"Expensive 133" wouldn't it just make everything easier to identify? What would my RX75 be? It sure was an expensive RER......but it was STILL an RER....which would automatically make it "cheap", right? But, there was a "cheap" RER...the R72......what would that classify as? Maybe we need to classify it by where it was sold, eh? HD=cheap......but wait, my JD dealer sells them, too......and has the parts.....hmmmmm

I dunno the answer here. :frown:

Then, we could all wear our buttons on our shirts telling the world we are a loser for buying a JD from Home Depot.......or, we did our homework every night as teens, and that's why we can afford a big, expensive JD........isn't it all foolish?

jenkinsph

Threads
I know this is an old thread but thought I would add a few observations after another year of lawn work.

I have a HD (cheap Deere) L130 mower that made it thru the sixth year of cutting my lawn without issues other than replacing the front tires. This mower cuts about 2 acres a week and should last a few more years. If I were to overwork it I don't think it would hold up but for mowing duty it is fine. I keep this mower at home with sharp blades ready to mow my own lawn.

The new x749 has also worked out well, it handles the customer lawns with steep grades performing various duties from boxblading, chipping, raking,tilling and of course mowing. This GT does a good job of filling the slot between the lawn tractor and the compact tractors. I should add that when purchasing the x749 I didn't expect it to be a replacement for a compact tractor either but it does reduce the amount of handwork needed in close quarters work that I used to do by hand.

I use the compact tractors to build lawns and landscapes initially and had another successful year without problems from any of the equipment. Built several new lawn areas and renovated a few too. If you get the lawn areas well prepared to start with it will save alot of wear and tear on the riding mowers in the future.

All of that said alot of the problems with riding mowers can be eliminated by fixing the lawn areas first. Then choosing the right mower for the conditions you have, you may get by with a light duty model or may need a 4x4 GT or a ZT. One thing is for sure though make it easy on your mower and you will get alot more time out of it.

bigmoose

Threads
Like most consumer grade machines, there are a lot of models to choose from... if you pick a light weight and do nothing but heavy duty work with it ... you are apt to end up thinking there is something wrong with your mower design...

Beyond width of cut, there are a lot of differences from model to model, all from the same manufacturer... you have to look close, to get the right tool for your job... :smile:KennyV

Yes!!! I have neighbors who own Deers, a lot of Deers,,,, I just invested in a X320 last fall, owned a LX176 '92 model, The neighbor who luvs to cut and primp his yard bought a big box Deere, said hes had to stick several hundred in his JOHN DEERE!!!! He is not to happy with his purchase,,,, When he told me a couple of years ago that he thought people were stupid for spending so much extra on a 300 series, or a dealer overpriced green and yellow, when for many hundreds less, look what I bought!!,,... Well I did not have the heart to tell him, he has NO idea the differences in the different models. Still has no clue! I just dont understand why with all the tools we have, why people just buy a JOHN DEERE, without talking to anyone, or comparing the different modles...