Export thread

People say that new john deere mowers are crap.....

G

grass cutter

I have heard that newer john Deere's aren't very tough and they break all the time. Well was sceptialy about buying a new JD, buy I did. I have a 2006 series that I bought used last year. I have driven the thing in snow, cut down piles of wet leaves that were about 4 feet tall, I have driven the mower over rocks and extremely bumpy conditions. It has gone places that a riding mower shouldn't go. I still, knock on wood, haven't broke a part and it works fine. It still seems like a tough mower to me.:biggrin:

P

patches

I don't know who said the new John Deeres aren't tough, but it's been my experience that they're as tough as they always have been. I wouldn't have anything but a JD because they are so tough.

K

KennyV

Like most consumer grade machines, there are a lot of models to choose from... if you pick a light weight and do nothing but heavy duty work with it ... you are apt to end up thinking there is something wrong with your mower design...

Beyond width of cut, there are a lot of differences from model to model, all from the same manufacturer... you have to look close, to get the right tool for your job... :smile:KennyV

J

jteuban

I like JD and Husky, as well as Stihl they are all great machines. I do not know why people buy the cheap tools for yardwork, seeing that you are going to use it year after year. So why not get a JD or Husky that is going to be tough and last. JD's are great tools in any situation. John Deere all the way. cheers
:)

A

abeja_reina_1989

From what I've heard lately, they are one of the best products you can buy. The main complaints I've heard from people is concerning the price.

G

grass cutter

From what I've heard lately, they are one of the best products you can buy. The main complaints I've heard from people is concerning the price.

I have heard a lot about how poorly made new JDs are on other sites, glad to see that some people think the same way :biggrin: I would gladly buy another.

L

LandN

i do use the entry level john deere tractor on heavy duty work and light work for years now and it still runs good while doing regular maintenance which is key to everything,my 2 year old john deere push mower was bought and used until the commercial duty one was introduced ,now that it is, i will trade up for it. my 2 year old john deere 30" wide blower- built like a tank. my john deere string trimmers run very strong....and my john deere hat stays on my head:laughing::laughing::laughing:

J

jenkinsph

I agree with Kenny in that you have to choose the model according to the tasks at hand. I have several different sizes and try to use them within the limits of their abilities. I don't try to make a small light duty riding mower perform work that calls for a larger tractor. I get good service and pricing from my Deere dealer and the equipment has performed well for me over the years.

Most of the complaints have been with the entry level 100 series riding mowers, weak K46 trannies are the most common things I hear about. Yet my L130 is six years old this year and still performs well for the most part. I would say the 100 series will be okay for mostly level lawns but if you have alot of steep slopes the tranny won't last long.

The X749 can handle steep slopes very well but has a steep price as well.

G

grass cutter

I agree with Kenny in that you have to choose the model according to the tasks at hand. I have several different sizes and try to use them within the limits of their abilities. I don't try to make a small light duty riding mower perform work that calls for a larger tractor. I get good service and pricing from my Deere dealer and the equipment has performed well for me over the years.

Most of the complaints have been with the entry level 100 series riding mowers, weak K46 trannies are the most common things I hear about. Yet my L130 is six years old this year and still performs well for the most part. I would say the 100 series will be okay for mostly level lawns but if you have alot of steep slopes the tranny won't last long.

The X749 can handle steep slopes very well but has a steep price as well.
So far its been fine with slopes. I guess the real test will be mowing spring grass:eek:

Kingwood990

Kingwood990

I think it depends on what model or series machine you buy. I think the reason why people think that the new Deere's are junk is because they buy the wrong machine for the job. They might buy the smallest model Deere makes and expects it to pull heavy carts or bush hog fields or something along those lines. After the over work kills their machine they automatically assume that all John Deere mowers are junk.

twall

twall

I think what most people are referring to [when dissing Deere] is the 'gt' series.

They are not a classic deere, in the way people think of them. My buddy and I went over one with a fine tooth comb one day (to the dismay of the help at Home Depot). They are an MTD machine with an x-series looking hood.

That's not to automatically assume they're junk. Cubs are MTD, and they are fine machines. They [gt's] are lighter duty. Although the gt series' look just like their Deere and co. built cousins (like the 'x' series), they simply aren't. But, they are worth every penny of the $1500 places that sell them want.

So's a cub cadet.

Don't assume it's a 110 just because it's green and has a yellow seat, and just do like everyone else here said - match the machine to the work.

RTSB

RTSB

Real John Deere lawn tractors start with 300 series. Not those big box store JD they make these to compete with Sears and TSC, tractors. Why do people think they can buy a cheap JD look a like tractor and think they are getting a real work horse?

K

KennyV

... Why do people think they can buy a cheap JD look a like tractor and think they are getting a real work horse?

Ummm... Because they are deliberately disguised to LOOK that way....? ...:smile:KennyV

twall

twall

Real John Deere lawn tractors start with 300 series. Not those big box store JD they make these to compete with Sears and TSC, tractors. Why do people think they can buy a cheap JD look a like tractor and think they are getting a real work horse?

Because they generally DON'T need or want a workhorse...they want green and yellow, to impress the neighbors, their family members, and the people they graduated with. It's mostly for show (and if they can do it on the cheap, all the better). Then, the fact everyone ELSE tells them they have a great machine that'll work all the livelong day, they begin to think more highly of their machines then they should.

Or, they listen to JD owners, and think the only decent mower to own is a JD......yet they don't have a 300 series budget. So, they go with what they can afford, and are disappointed when it breaks. I hate to tell them, but the 300 series-up break, too. Nothing (NOTHING) is indestructible.

Size and feature for size and feature, these MTD's are usually the best put together, highest quality versions of the MTD line, because JD expects it. So, they usaually are a tad better than the average Husky. (not Husquavarna, either....Husky...the cheap tractors TSC and HD sell...nasty little buggers.)

If you look at my avatar, I am about 228 away from a 300 series. But it was made by Deere and Co. So, I have a piece of s--t? It's as much a JD as any that rolled off the assembly line. It's a R72....not a 318......and I don't expect it to ever be.........but it is a Deere nevertheless!

Carl Bert

Carl Bert

twall said:
I think what most people are referring to [when dissing Deere] is the 'gt' series.

They are not a classic deere, in the way people think of them. My buddy and I went over one with a fine tooth comb one day (to the dismay of the help at Home Depot). They are an MTD machine with an x-series looking hood.

That's not to automatically assume they're junk. Cubs are MTD, and they are fine machines. They [gt's] are lighter duty. Although the gt series' look just like their Deere and co. built cousins (like the 'x' series), they simply aren't. But, they are worth every penny of the $1500 places that sell them want.

So's a cub cadet.

Don't assume it's a 110 just because it's green and has a yellow seat, and just do like everyone else here said - match the machine to the work.

I think your talking about a different model. The GT is just below the GX series, which are considered buy a lot of JD fans, as two of the best lines of garden tractors that JD has ever produced. They were both way overbuilt and made to last a lifetime. Maybe you meant the "L" series or the "G", which you would typically find at Home Depot.

twall

twall

I think your talking about a different model. The GT is just below the GX series, which are considered buy a lot of JD fans, as two of the best lines of garden tractors that JD has ever produced. They were both way overbuilt and made to last a lifetime. Maybe you meant the "L" series or the "G", which you would typically find at Home Depot.

Yes, I am wrong there. I meant "LT".........my bad......:ashamed:

There are so many light-duty JD's out now.....tough to remember the letters.......I may be wrong again.....but I coulda sworn I saw this little bitty HD thing that said 'gt' on the hood.........nice tractor........I know you hate them, but I don't care......:biggrin:

Carl Bert

Carl Bert

twall said:
Yes, I am wrong there. I meant "LT".........my bad......:ashamed:

There are so many light-duty JD's out now.....tough to remember the letters.......I may be wrong again.....but I coulda sworn I saw this little bitty HD thing that said 'gt' on the hood.........nice tractor........I know you hate them, but I don't care......:biggrin:

Hey I guess anythings possible, but I hope not. What would we do, anytime referring to one, we would have to say "the OLD GT" or "the NEW GT". Wonder if they ever did it in the past? I doubt it.

twall

twall

Hey I guess anythings possible, but I hope not. What would we do, anytime referring to one, we would have to say "the OLD GT" or "the NEW GT". Wonder if they ever did it in the past? I doubt it.

Wouldn't it just be better for truth in advertising? "Cheap 133"......"Expensive 133" wouldn't it just make everything easier to identify? What would my RX75 be? It sure was an expensive RER......but it was STILL an RER....which would automatically make it "cheap", right? But, there was a "cheap" RER...the R72......what would that classify as? Maybe we need to classify it by where it was sold, eh? HD=cheap......but wait, my JD dealer sells them, too......and has the parts.....hmmmmm

I dunno the answer here. :frown:

Then, we could all wear our buttons on our shirts telling the world we are a loser for buying a JD from Home Depot.......or, we did our homework every night as teens, and that's why we can afford a big, expensive JD........isn't it all foolish?

J

jenkinsph

I know this is an old thread but thought I would add a few observations after another year of lawn work.

I have a HD (cheap Deere) L130 mower that made it thru the sixth year of cutting my lawn without issues other than replacing the front tires. This mower cuts about 2 acres a week and should last a few more years. If I were to overwork it I don't think it would hold up but for mowing duty it is fine. I keep this mower at home with sharp blades ready to mow my own lawn.

The new x749 has also worked out well, it handles the customer lawns with steep grades performing various duties from boxblading, chipping, raking,tilling and of course mowing. This GT does a good job of filling the slot between the lawn tractor and the compact tractors. I should add that when purchasing the x749 I didn't expect it to be a replacement for a compact tractor either but it does reduce the amount of handwork needed in close quarters work that I used to do by hand.

I use the compact tractors to build lawns and landscapes initially and had another successful year without problems from any of the equipment. Built several new lawn areas and renovated a few too. If you get the lawn areas well prepared to start with it will save alot of wear and tear on the riding mowers in the future.

All of that said alot of the problems with riding mowers can be eliminated by fixing the lawn areas first. Then choosing the right mower for the conditions you have, you may get by with a light duty model or may need a 4x4 GT or a ZT. One thing is for sure though make it easy on your mower and you will get alot more time out of it.

B

bigmoose

Like most consumer grade machines, there are a lot of models to choose from... if you pick a light weight and do nothing but heavy duty work with it ... you are apt to end up thinking there is something wrong with your mower design...

Beyond width of cut, there are a lot of differences from model to model, all from the same manufacturer... you have to look close, to get the right tool for your job... :smile:KennyV

Yes!!! I have neighbors who own Deers, a lot of Deers,,,, I just invested in a X320 last fall, owned a LX176 '92 model, The neighbor who luvs to cut and primp his yard bought a big box Deere, said hes had to stick several hundred in his JOHN DEERE!!!! He is not to happy with his purchase,,,, When he told me a couple of years ago that he thought people were stupid for spending so much extra on a 300 series, or a dealer overpriced green and yellow, when for many hundreds less, look what I bought!!,,... Well I did not have the heart to tell him, he has NO idea the differences in the different models. Still has no clue! I just dont understand why with all the tools we have, why people just buy a JOHN DEERE, without talking to anyone, or comparing the different modles...

B

blades

Main problem current L series is the transmission K46. it is a sealed unit with a replacement cost a little over 1/2 the cost of the mower new. no repair parts that I am aware of at present. most places only sell the whole assembly and that is what xxx's consumers off. by the way that same tranny is used in alot of the under 2k units, with the same complaints. as someone else already mentioned it is priced to compete in box store merchandizing. Buyer beware. I have a L120, 100 hours on it now, bought it used. Soon as I have some cash available I will move up to better machine. One that can handel ground contact equipment and such, and I will likely stay away from the hydro tranys if at all possible as that seems to be a weak link all around.

K

KennyV

Main problem current L series is the transmission K46. ...

There are several variables that will determine the life of these transaxles...
BUT they are rebuildable and Parts are available.. & if you have only a little motivation to do it yourself... it's NOT that big a deal...
Parts are available here: https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEElogin/html/login.html

Also if you would like to follow a how to rebuild, including pictures... You will find theme here : TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures - TractorByNet.com
That is at tractorbynet.com (TBN) a Fantastic forum owned & operated by same as LawnMowerForum...

It is almost always worth looking into repairing ... and I do mean repairing it yourself....

As Brit shows... he got the needed rebuild kits for $162.95 total....
Very Few things are really "not serviceable" ... you just need a desire to repair what you have... and enjoy doing it. I do. :smile:KennyV

Bison

Bison

I have heard that newer john Deere's aren't very tough and they break all the time. Well was sceptialy about buying a new JD, buy I did. I have a 2006 series that I bought used last year. I have driven the thing in snow, cut down piles of wet leaves that were about 4 feet tall, I have driven the mower over rocks and extremely bumpy conditions. It has gone places that a riding mower shouldn't go. I still, knock on wood, haven't broke a part and it works fine. It still seems like a tough mower to me.:biggrin:
Wait 20 years,...then come back with how it held up :wink:

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

............my 2 year old john deere 30" wide blower- built like a tank. my john deere string trimmers run very strong....and my john deere hat stays on my head:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Your blower was not made by John Deere, Ariens makes them. :eek:
Your trimmer is not made by JD.

I won 2 John Deere hats at a show, gave 'em to some fools that work at the Post Office.

L

LandN

Your blower was not made by John Deere, Ariens makes them. :eek:
Your trimmer is not made by JD.

I won 2 John Deere hats at a show, gave 'em to some fools that work at the Post Office.

so what else should i call it :confused2: thats what the decal on the side says, so thats what i call it. i know deere didn't make my snowblower and i don't really give a flying flip who made it, but my snow blower did an outstanding job on the biggest snow we had in recent history,and it bailed me out and several of my neighbors. and my trimmer so far has out lasted my other brand trimmers and i really could care less who made it,but it serves me well for the 100.00 (new) that i spent on it. my deere dealer is nearby, and with an outstanding service department, so that is why i have what i have.

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

Gee Whizzzzz, I did not mean for you to get upset about it.
Some people bleed green and want to be buried in Moline ! :eek:

P.S. ..... Your hat was not made by JD ..... Just thought you might want to know that. :biggrin:

L

LandN

sammy-I'm fine not upset,i just don't put a lot of concern on who makes what, where, or how. I do a LOT of homework on whatever i buy to see if it will last as long as i care to own something.Just yesterday i bought a 30.00 flashlight that i have been deciding/researching on for a couple months:laughing: and as for the hats well the dog ate them so now i have none:mad:

K

KennyV

... i bought a 30.00 flashlight that i have been deciding/researching on for a couple months:laughing: and as for the hats well the dog ate them so now i have none:mad:

This sounds exactly like... Me.:laughing: I also tend to spend too much time researching things, (so I have been told)...
BUT I can not recall a purchase that I regret...:biggrin:

As to hats, I think your dog has figured the best use for them... Having to wear a hat was One of the deciding factors why I did not extend my stay in the military... I've never been a fan of Wearing hats... :smile:KennyV

B

benski

sammy-I'm fine not upset,i just don't put a lot of concern on who makes what, where, or how. I do a LOT of homework on whatever i buy to see if it will last as long as i care to own something.Just yesterday i bought a 30.00 flashlight that i have been deciding/researching on for a couple months:laughing: and as for the hats well the dog ate them so now i have none:mad:

My question is this: Is your dog going to go to a meeting and pass the hat?:eek::wink:

B

blades

Tuff Torq, no distributors in US, one in Canada, web sight in French . Not being BI-lingual does not help much. Last Time i had classes in French was the early 60's lately have enough trouble with English. I did find a place that would rebuild the K46 for 650 plus shipping both ways, or upgrade to the K66 which is now up to just about the cost of the tractor new. Guess the thing to do is dump the 120 and find an old non-hydro piece of Iron. History, Guy I got the 120 from had a level ( like a landing strip lot) about 2 acres. He was selling the 120 in favor of a zero turn with 60" deck vs the 42 on the 120. I been digging on the hydro trannies, seems just about every brand with puchase prices under $2500 are popping up with the same kind of issues. I am not keen on being the R&D department for a MFG. Buyer Beware.

R

redfish9

I bought my JD in 2001 and this awful machine makes me put gas in it every day,and then i have to check the oil everyday to[never burned or leaked a drop] Then i have to grease this awful machine everyday ,and after four years i had to buy rear tires can you believe that ,oh yes never had a repair needed in all these years. Crappy dang deere:rolleyes:

Bison

Bison

I bought my JD in 2001 and this awful machine makes me put gas in it every day,and then i have to check the oil everyday to[never burned or leaked a drop] Then i have to grease this awful machine everyday ,and after four years i had to buy rear tires can you believe that ,oh yes never had a repair needed in all these years. Crappy dang deere:rolleyes:
I bought my 1972 JD 112 well used in 96 for $50.- ,been mowing my 3 acre lawn with it since.
It still has 3 original tires(blew and replaced 1 front tire 2 yrs ago),i grease it once a year,check oil once a week..but having to fill the tank before use is normal i would say.
Apart from replacing a couple belts and bearings and once a engine rebuild it works like the energizer bunny.:thumbsup:

Me thinks i can't complain :wink:

PS: some people are better off using a goat to do the mowing:tongue:

E

engine29

This may have already been said, but I will say again. Being a former Deere dealer I know what's good and what's not so good.

The Deere L100 series are the ones that are giving Deere the bad name. Those tractors are what they came up w/ to go into Lowes. Obviously, to sell in Lowes, they have to be be cheap in price. To be cheap in price they have to sacrifice quality and durability. Also, contrary to a lot of opinions, they ARE made by Deere (not MTD) in their Greenville, TN plant where the res. walks used to be made.

As far as the X series mowers, they are still made in Horicon WI. Those still are good tractors, but more money. You get what you pay for. As a dealer, we were very aggravated w/ Deere doing the Lowes thing, #1, the dealer was responsible for them, we were in competition w/ our local Lowes store and it ultimately gave Deere a bad reputation. Yes, it increased the service work, but also caused a lot of "I'll never buy a Deere again". It my opinion, it was Deere's greediness that got them in that position. And now, today, Deere is forcing the dealers to sell Deere only (no other brands), yet they stay in Lowes where they are selling other brands and also hurting the dealers.

That's Deere's two-sidedness. As a dealer, I saw a different side of Deere that the consumers don't.
It's not the great company people think they are. Enough said!

T

tuckertom

I have been reading all of these remarks about the John Deere line and can't help but to get the impresion that a lot of people just don't do there homework before shelling out there hard earnened money. I live in Canada and have worked for a very large J/D dealer some years ago and there was none of these so called Home depot, Lowes etc. units being sold untill the last few years. I have looked at these units and yes they do look like a deere at first glance but with a closer look they are not a real deere !! For all of you people that want a real John Deere with all of the many years of reasech and fine craftmanship you will have to go to the store that the sign reads "JOHN DEERE" .
Sorry but it is true you will not find a real John Deere other that at a dealer ship !!!!
I have lived at my present 10 acre acerage for the last 35 years and I started out with a Bolens lawn tractor for the first five years. After that I have had J/deeres ever since. I have a 1990 285 c/w a 42" mower and snow blower. After 600 hrs. I had to put in a new motor as the dealer said that I had run it low on oil at one time ??. I put a new 20 hp Kawasaki as the first one was a 17 hp. Other than that I have put in 3 Clutches , many sets of mower spindle bearings and a few belts etc. The tractor has just over 1200 hrs. This tractor has cut a lot of grass and blowen a lot of snow over the last 22 years.
other than the motor going at 600 hrs the rest is common as you can't grease any of the three mower spindle bearings as they quit putting them on as there is money to be made, as this will change the next time I have to change them I will be installing some threads and put in the three grease zerks for so I can quit sending them any more money.
I also have a 2009 John Deere 300R and so far a real nice tractor. also a Honda s/p mower and lots of other grass eating things !!

B

bollingball

Several years ago ( about ( about 10 or 12) my wife bought me a JD LT180 from the dealer Not the size I wanted to small of deck But turned out to be a good one. Just the normal wear parts have been changed. Now about three year ago my father in law buys one from Lowe's. He had a front wheel bearing go out. So I go out to fix it for him no bearing just some kind of plastic bushing. I don't know what is going on. Maybe Lowe's can speck them out the way they want to lower cost. The JD dealer and Lowe's are almost in sight of each other and the dealer has to fix Lowe's crap. Another dealer 10 miles away had to close down after 30 years Thanks Lowe's and JD. I just bought a Z445 54in. deck from the dealer I hope it holds up as good as the Lt180. Time will tell.

Ken

S

sail902

I guess it depends on which John Deere you bought! I bought the LA 145 new just to mow a couple of acres and it's junk! The dealer had to replace the carburator right off the bat. It still didn't run right after that,( popped thru the carb, hard to start, wouldn't idle down) so I had to take it back at my own expence (rented a trailer). It runs better but still pops thru the carb and doesn't idle down very well. It went through drive belt the first summer. Now an idler pully bearing is shot and a spindle bearing is on it's way out. If it's a hot summer day, the transmission fails and won't go up the incline in my yard and sounds noisy like an old power steering pump on a ford that has very little fluid in it. Of course you can't check the transmission fluid or change it because it has no drain or fill plugs because it's a disposable mower. The steering pinion gear has already worn a nice groove in it too. All this and the mower has less than 200 hours on it. Of course the warranty is done just as the thing starts to fall appart! Parts are expensive for this thing and you can't find them local. I had a Craftsman riding mower for 14 years and and only replaced a belt, a spindle and had to weld the deck a little because my dad always hit trees with it and ran over rocks. I sold that mower and it was still going after 14 years! When I did need those couple of parts, like blades, belts and the spindle, the local sears either had them or got them next day and I could order on line. I wish I bought another Craftsman insead of John Deere. I had always wanted a JD and and thought that it would surely be a nice mower and should outlast a cheap Sears Craftsman.... but was I ever wrong!

S

sail902

I have been reading all of these remarks about the John Deere line and can't help but to get the impresion that a lot of people just don't do there homework before shelling out there hard earnened money. I live in Canada and have worked for a very large J/D dealer some years ago and there was none of these so called Home depot, Lowes etc. units being sold untill the last few years. I have looked at these units and yes they do look like a deere at first glance but with a closer look they are not a real deere !! For all of you people that want a real John Deere with all of the many years of reasech and fine craftmanship you will have to go to the store that the sign reads "JOHN DEERE" .
Sorry but it is true you will not find a real John Deere other that at a dealer ship !!!!
I have lived at my present 10 acre acerage for the last 35 years and I started out with a Bolens lawn tractor for the first five years. After that I have had J/deeres ever since. I have a 1990 285 c/w a 42" mower and snow blower. After 600 hrs. I had to put in a new motor as the dealer said that I had run it low on oil at one time ??. I put a new 20 hp Kawasaki as the first one was a 17 hp. Other than that I have put in 3 Clutches , many sets of mower spindle bearings and a few belts etc. The tractor has just over 1200 hrs. This tractor has cut a lot of grass and blowen a lot of snow over the last 22 years.
other than the motor going at 600 hrs the rest is common as you can't grease any of the three mower spindle bearings as they quit putting them on as there is money to be made, as this will change the next time I have to change them I will be installing some threads and put in the three grease zerks for so I can quit sending them any more money.
I also have a 2009 John Deere 300R and so far a real nice tractor. also a Honda s/p mower and lots of other grass eating things !!

Hmmmm.... that's funny because, my John Deere LA 145 that I did buy from Lowes (not at John Deere) has grease zerks on the spindles!

tomcat59

tomcat59

i got the d130 jd from lowes my yard has slopes it does great

S

sail902

What John Deer did you buy back in 2001? You sure aren't talking about the same john deere mowers that we are talking about!

S

sail902

I have been reading all of these remarks about the John Deere line and can't help but to get the impresion that a lot of people just don't do there homework before shelling out there hard earnened money.

When I bought my JD riding mower, It was because John Deere had a great reputation. I knew people that swore by JD. So, it didn't seem necessary to do a lot of homework because of the name. Why would JD put out junk after spending so many years building such a great reputation? My last mower was a Craftsman that lasted me 14 years and then i sold it for $250 when I moved. When I bought the JD mower I knew that it had to be as good or better than a Craftsman. Even a cheaper JD should be as good or better than a cheaper craftsman..... John Deere really shot themselves in the foot on this one. Carburator had to be replaced right off the bat then dealer didn't get the intake manifold sealed right and back it had to go at my expence. Right after warranty, transmission went- no way to check the fluid or change it. Idler pulley bearings and spindle bearings shot already with 170 hours on it. Still doesn't run right, hard to start, pops thru the carb and won't idle down sometimes and on and on...... They say you get what you pay for? not in this case, this thing was $2400 new. That is not cheap by any means. You would think after all the years JD has been making great equipment, some of the engineering would rub off on the less expensive homeowner grade machine! They should have had MTD make the lower models, it would have been much better!

Bison

Bison

I have been reading all of these remarks about the John Deere line and can't help but to get the impresion that a lot of people just don't do there homework before shelling out there hard earnened money.

When I bought my JD riding mower, It was because John Deere had a great reputation. I knew people that swore by JD. So, it didn't seem necessary to do a lot of homework because of the name. Why would JD put out junk after spending so many years building such a great reputation? My last mower was a Craftsman that lasted me 14 years and then i sold it for $250 when I moved. When I bought the JD mower I knew that it had to be as good or better than a Craftsman. Even a cheaper JD should be as good or better than a cheaper craftsman..... John Deere really shot themselves in the foot on this one. Carburator had to be replaced right off the bat then dealer didn't get the intake manifold sealed right and back it had to go at my expence. Right after warranty, transmission went- no way to check the fluid or change it. Idler pulley bearings and spindle bearings shot already with 170 hours on it. Still doesn't run right, hard to start, pops thru the carb and won't idle down sometimes and on and on...... They say you get what you pay for? not in this case, this thing was $2400 new. That is not cheap by any means. You would think after all the years JD has been making great equipment, some of the engineering would rub off on the less expensive homeowner grade machine! They should have had MTD make the lower models, it would have been much better!
$2400 buys you nothing decent these days.
You're better off to buy an seventies model for a couple hundred and fix it up.
$2000 will buy parts for many years to come ....IF you need them.

New ain't allways better,...old is proven.

J

jenkinsph

I agree with Bison that $2400 won't buy you much in today's economy. If you wan't a good Deere riding mower you will need to raise the bar to about $4000 for a simple model. When my L130 quits I will replace it with an x320 most likely.

I will repair the k46 tranny and use the L130 a few more years for my own lawn it is starting to slow down. That is alot cheaper than buying a new mower for my own lawn. I think one of the problems is that most people today can't repair anything. Most dealers don't have any parts on hand. The throw away economy is wasteful and expensive, couple that to the EPA requirements and it is almost fatal to the consumer.

talley2191

talley2191

Good feedback and I currently own an LA125 (4 years old) that I replaced the head gasket on at 145 hours and I have an X300 with the Kawasaki engine. Big difference between the two besides the Briggs vs Kawasaki. Components appear stronger and more fluid in the X300. Only 13 hours on the X300 but I can tell it mows better than the LA did when it was new. The LA 125 has been relegated to pulling the yard cart until the transmission goes up. That is one thing with the LA125 I have not had a problem with (knock on wood).

Anderson Classic Tractors

Anderson Classic Tractors

I have owned many John Deere mowers, and have been very pleased. I had a 165, LX178, X300 (2)and now a X320. And a 14SB push mower. They all had Kawasaki engines. I trade every 2-3 years as they hold their value. I would not buy an L series however.

D

Dashe

I had a Snapper for the past 15 years and the B&S 16 hp single lung quit in the middle of the lawn. Trying to find parts for it is getting harder so I purchased a new x720. A little more tractor than the snapper but I figure that it will last longer than I do and if in 20 years I need parts, JD will most likely be in business or at least you will still be able to get parts.

talley2191

talley2191

Dashe said:
I had a Snapper for the past 15 years and the B&S 16 hp single lung quit in the middle of the lawn. Trying to find parts for it is getting harder so I purchased a new x720. A little more tractor than the snapper but I figure that it will last longer than I do and if in 20 years I need parts, JD will most likely be in business or at least you will still be able to get parts.

The x720....Very nice!!

D

Dashe

Thank you. Got 2.5 hours on it. Ran out of lawn and that with me doing the neighbor's 1/2 acre. Took me the first 1/2 hour to get use to the foot pedals and the RIO. My wife claims the back yard to mow. Love, it fighting over who gets to mow the lawn.