older exmark zeroturn electrical issue

Keen@n777

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's not letting me post photos, it says the files are too large and I'm just using my phone so I'm not exactly sure how to resize them.
Yes it has a fuel shut off solenoid at the carb. But I'm fairly sure that's not what's shutting it down when I take away it's juice. I'm kinda thinking it's the stator not functioning correctly but it does show like 20-30 volts AC current coming out......

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Running with a flat battery wrecks the stator & the rectifier on mowers with electric PTO's
While the magneto is self energizing the carb solenoid needs stable DC voltage
When it does not get 9 V DC it shuts off the fuel supply to the main jet & the mower stops

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's not letting me post photos, it says the files are too large and I'm just using my phone so I'm not exactly sure how to resize them.
You likely would have to share them to something else.
I believe that you will have to have a battery in the loop for the solenoid to work/open.

Keen@n777

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Fish & bertsmobile1, thank you guys for replying and for emphasizing the fuel shut off solenoid and the fact that it would require the battery to be in line to remain open, explained like that and having replaced the battery, rectifier, and the stator pushing out 20-30 volts ac to the new rectifier I'm much more confident that the problem is resolved, I was just worried that I was going to be getting a call from my customer today when the battery died and his machine cut off. I've got no call and it's almost the end of the day so I can breathe easier. Thanks guys.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey Fish & bertsmobile1, thank you guys for replying and for emphasizing the fuel shut off solenoid and the fact that it would require the battery to be in line to remain open, explained like that and having replaced the battery, rectifier, and the stator pushing out 20-30 volts ac to the new rectifier I'm much more confident that the problem is resolved, I was just worried that I was going to be getting a call from my customer today when the battery died and his machine cut off. I've got no call and it's almost the end of the day so I can breathe easier. Thanks guys.
I test the fuel solenoids with a 9V transistor battery , now only seen in a multimeter .
If a good battery can not move the plunger then the solenoid it gone ( quite rare ) or gummed up ( quite common )
As readings go from peak + to peak - so 12V DC should read 24V AC at the stator
To charge a battery you need to apply a bigger voltage than the battery output so a battery needs at least 12.8V to recharge and by prefference 13 V to 14.5 V
When you get above that you cook the battery and will cause hydrogen gas to be generated .
A quick & dirty test is to put your meter on AC across the battery terminals
IF you get an AC reading higher then the DC reading then the rectifier ( diodes ) are failing and that will kill the battery in a very short time so you might not be out of the woods yet .
Always check the alternator and rectifier / diode when you do a service job or good chance the job will come back and you will get stuck with replacing the battery under warranty

Keen@n777

Forum Newbie
Threads
I test the fuel solenoids with a 9V transistor battery , now only seen in a multimeter .
If a good battery can not move the plunger then the solenoid it gone ( quite rare ) or gummed up ( quite common )
As readings go from peak + to peak - so 12V DC should read 24V AC at the stator
To charge a battery you need to apply a bigger voltage than the battery output so a battery needs at least 12.8V to recharge and by prefference 13 V to 14.5 V
When you get above that you cook the battery and will cause hydrogen gas to be generated .
A quick & dirty test is to put your meter on AC across the battery terminals
IF you get an AC reading higher then the DC reading then the rectifier ( diodes ) are failing and that will kill the battery in a very short time so you might not be out of the woods yet .
Always check the alternator and rectifier / diode when you do a service job or good chance the job will come back and you will get stuck with replacing the battery under warranty
I had already replaced the rectifier as it wasn't putting/converting enough DC power back to the battery, the stator was/is generating 20-30 volts AC so that's how I came to the conclusion that the rectifier was gone and needed to be replaced. The customer used the machine all day yesterday and today and said it was running great, now he did but a new Walmart battery for it that he promptly installed backwards, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. Anyways, if it was going to kill the battery I would imagine after two days of constant commercial use it would have either drained the battery due to it not charging or fired it in a case of over charging. However in my experience nothing is outside the realm of possibility so I would be shocked if I get a call in a few days, but I'm also holding onto hope that my phone won't ring. If it does, I'll be back and y'all will know. Thanks again for the helpful info and advice, very much appreciated.