Nothing wrong with working out of a service manual. I think your original question was what was the block and head made of and we determined it was aluminum with the magnet test. I have install many heads and I will still say this. The older mower engines really aren't as touchy as to how you install head gaskets. What I have done in the pass was just reinstall the old gasket. When I do this I give the gasket a coat of shellac. Also another thing I do now is instead of oil I use the blue lock tite on the head bolts. This seals them and acts as a lubricant. Most important is clean everything. Yes you are going to find no one works the same and yes you need to sort out the BS. Is this the same engine you are working on the ignition system and afraid to pull the flywheel? I only am going to tell you how I do something but do it your own way seeing you are the one doing it. And also by the way if the job go's bad I haven't got any money invested but giving you my free advice. I am a retired mechanic and have put many engines together and have found in the pass if I can't find new gaskets for some of the older engines anymore so I will make my own gaskets. I have also found that I am not the best person with words when it come to writing out these repairs so listen to someone that can explain this better then I can.