Oil Filters (again)

577jersey

Threads
I know bro,,these engines can run for thousands of hours with no filter at all as long as you change the oil when its dirty,,the spin on filters are just an added bonus IMO :)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know bro,,these engines can run for thousands of hours with no filter at all as long as you change the oil when its dirty,,the spin on filters are just an added bonus IMO :)

How about that someone I agree with :thumbsup:

577jersey

Threads
How about that someone I agree with :thumbsup:
LOL,,That doesn’t happen too often on here,,I have been playing with these engines since the late 70s,experience is always better than what some knuckle head college engineer says,,Im a bit of a rebel when it comes to mowers and engines if you haven’t noticed..lol :)

Anyway,I really appreciate the info on the ST filters,Im gonna go get a stack of them for the shelf for next season :)

Tom

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just a little ahead of you. My father ran a Bolens dealership back in the late 40's and 50's, the muck farmers ran them tractors ever day for years without a oil filters. My father also was a farmer and I just don't recall ever seeing a oil filter on any of the farm equipment. I started working for a Chevy dealership in the late 50's and on the earlier cars a oil filter was a option.

577jersey

Threads
Just a little ahead of you. My father ran a Bolens dealership back in the late 40's and 50's, the muck farmers ran them tractors ever day for years without a oil filters. My father also was a farmer and I just don't recall ever seeing a oil filter on any of the farm equipment. I started working for a Chevy dealership in the late 50's and on the earlier cars a oil filter was a option.
Thats awesome!! I worked for a Bolens dealer back in 1988 for a while i was 18 when I started,dad let me tear down and re assemble a few briggs engines when I was a little kid around 10 or so,he bought me a craftman tool kit and let me have at it.

I was always getting into trouble for taking things apart to see how they worked..lol..well its a great forum here and I always learn a thing or two from the ole timers.

Take care my friend.

Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And before we get too sentimental , if US small farmers were as strapped for cash as Aussie one were they took care of their equipment.
Which meat every time the tractor comes out of the machinery shed the oil , water & fuel had been checked, every grease nipple had 2 strokes from the grease gun and 1/2 liter of oil had been distributed to various parts by the long snout oil can The oil came in 44 gal drums and was used in the same measure, by the gallon.
The old Bolens tractors were well built because they had to be sold to people who were careful where they spent their money and could actually determine if a machine was good or garbage.
BEcause they would pay a fair price for good gear , there was profit in selling it so it got made well.
The DuraTrac I am currently working on cost $14,000 Aus new when a small 2 seater Suzuki 4WD was $ 10,000 , the street version was $ 8,000, a larger Dihatsu Charade was $ 10,000 and the locally made 6 cylinder family car was $ 20,000.
However now days the average owner can not tell Sh*t from clay, they make their decisions based upon advertising, consummer evaluation groups and even forums like this.
So when selling to the uneducated & technically inempt you invent things to make your product "better " in their eyes.
How many small engines were sold with spin on filters and splash lubrication ?
A combination that does not make the slightest bit of sense unless you are a spin merchant.

OTOH emission laws have gotten a lot tighter, mass machining has become much better so tollerances can be held tighter and nice clean oil,becomes more more important.
However considering the use of domestic mowers I have to agree that filter is a waste of time as the damage done by contaminated oil sitting in the engine during the off season will be far worse than the damage done by particulates floating around in the oil.

It is an arguement I have regularly in vintage motorcycle circles with the clowns who put $ 30/L synthetic oils in their bike that would be pushed to make 50 operating hours year and think they can run it for the next 50 years till they clock up 30,000 miles.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey Bert, try not to get confrontational here, I'm not making any assumption based on engineering data, I'm simply showing a comparison of a high priced OEM Kohler filter with a dirt cheap Walmart filter. Obviously both are made by Champion Labs and both are of e-core design.

So this is why funflyer made a very good point here. He found that the ST makes a very good filter at a lot cheaper price. That brings me to the Fram filters which I have never found a problem with that everybody hates.

577jersey

Threads
So this is why funflyer made a very good point here. He found that the ST makes a very good filter at a lot cheaper price. That brings me to the Fram filters which I have never found a problem with that everybody hates.
I used Fram filters on my mowers and trucks for years without any problems,It wasn’t until recently that i researched oil filters and found out that they where built a bit less sturdy,utilizing cheaper parts,,so I changed over to Napa,Wix,ST,ect....

I even have a Purolator on my one Kawi now....i have a friend who has been modifying the auto filters by cutting the bypass valves out,,he claims the filters flow more freely,,he might be onto something there since he has engines with 2500 plus hours on them??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only time you would get a mower filter on bypass is after a flood and it was full of water or if the original one was still there 20 years latter.
However the oil pump on a small engine is nowhere near as powerful as tars so mower filters are generally freer flowing than car filters.
The only two important things are the micron size and the flow rate.
Auto filters usually have a lower flow rate at the low pressures mowers run at.
But again, unless the engine has pressure fed lubrication , they are a decoration

Jack17

Threads
To the guy with "2500+ hours on his mower cutting out by-pass valves...might be on to something because of oil flows better" ... If filer media is clogged up or in really cold weather conditions where oil become really thick there is a "bypass valve" that opens at specified differential pressure. This bypass allows unfiltered oil to go around the filter media and back to the engine. Dirty lubrication with unfiltered oil is better than none at all...I guess? But cutting it out just because he fills like it make no sense at all. In general, automotive filters are not made the same as the ones for small engine. The difference is in the filter media and bypass valve. High end filters would use glass, medium quality use cotton and bottom end paper / celluloid fill. Anyhow, if I was to look for "car oil filter" substitute for small engine application, I'd concentrate my attention on finding one with the longest can that would fit on my mower. Max internal volume to compensate for loss of flow due to a finer fill being use on automotive style filter.

One last thing. Don't be shy sticking a strong magnet (best Ive ever found came out from an old computer hard drive) on the side of a filter can. It'll attract and drive out iron oxides that are in the oil.

Last edited: