No wonder I am nuts!!!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spent about two hours yesterday cleaning the black walnuts off my front yard, had about another half loader bucket full after dumping this first one. My cleanup method involves using the pickup tool shown, if the nuts are thick on the ground, I use the trash bin to toss them in while it is horizontal, or the plastic pan gets used if they are scattered around and I drag that around with a wire. Using the pickup tool is murder on my hands but still easier than bending over to pick up the darn things. When the containers get heavy I dump them in the loader bucket.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 41

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't you put the bucket down and just skim the surface either self loading or at least pushing them all to one spotso you could use a leaf rake ?
Can you sell them ?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't you put the bucket down and just skim the surface either self loading or at least pushing them all to one spotso you could use a leaf rake ?
Can you sell them ?

Using the bucket would tear the lawn up, that is the best grass I have there!! As far as selling them goes, go look at the thread "Got Walnuts?" in the Lawn Care Forum here on LMF. I could come up with 10X the nuts shown in the bucket if I wanted to !!!

173abn

Threads
Know what you mean JD.The squirrels are going nuts burying the dang things.Every walnut tree I have was planted by them.A few yrs ago I cut down 4 large ones growing too close to my house.Took the trunks to a mill and made some good boards out of them.I made a few cabinets and still have some in the barn...russ

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Know what you mean JD.The squirrels are going nuts burying the dang things.Every walnut tree I have was planted by them.A few yrs ago I cut down 4 large ones growing too close to my house.Took the trunks to a mill and made some good boards out of them.I made a few cabinets and still have some in the barn...russ

I have a couple of walnut trees that I recognize and probably more back in the woods. I've wondered how hard it would be to make something out of them. It's such fine wood -- incredibly expensive if you were to buy it. Transporting the trunks would be the hard part. :eek:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a couple of walnut trees that I recognize and probably more back in the woods. I've wondered how hard it would be to make something out of them. It's such fine wood -- incredibly expensive if you were to buy it. Transporting the trunks would be the hard part. :eek:

We have about 6 more trees that are bigger than the one shown behind the tractor. I joke that if we ever need money we can sell them. I have a friend who is a fine craftsman woodworker, I have given him a lot of logs and he says it is very hard to work with it to make something large. Black walnut is used mainly for veener over cheaper woods, not as a solid wood item. If you sell black walnut trees, the buyers usually come in and remove the trunks using heavy equipment.

BTW, my in laws were here earlier today, I had set aside about a laundry basket full of the green nuts from our smallest tree. We have one tree that produces black walnuts so large when they are green, the size is near as big as a baseball, much larger than the ones shown in the bucket, which are billiard ball sized. The nut is almost 2X the size of the smaller nuts.

173abn

Threads
that's about the size trees I cut.The wood is hard but I've got a thickness planer and all the other tools I need.You can't buy it around here at none of the lumber yards,has to be special ordered and it is high dollar.I let my boards season a couple of yrs. in the barn along w/some cherry my neighabor gave me.4 big trunks of Walnut and one hugh Cherry and the mill guy only charged me $100.00.There used to be a mill in a small town down the road that used to make gun stocks but they went out of business yrs. ago...russ

LandN

Threads
hey jd, seems to me i saw(year or two ago) a big wide rake that fits in the front of some mowers/tractors for large properties with leaves etc. to rake in a hurry seems to me i even saw a picture of it. maybe google it and see what you get

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
hey jd, seems to me i saw(year or two ago) a big wide rake that fits in the front of some mowers/tractors for large properties with leaves etc. to rake in a hurry seems to me i even saw a picture of it. maybe google it and see what you get

Thanks for the tip....:thumbsup:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Why not use a garden vac with a collector bag ?