No oil change?

Mattmotors

Threads
Remember, they didn't want the home owner to adjust carbs(Those of us that knew they needed adjustment). Had to take it to a shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A few decades ago we had 4 refineries that reprocess used oil and this product was very good
However the big oil companies jointly mounted a massive advertising campaign which basically said if you use the reprocessed oil you car will blow up
It worked a treat so 3 of them that sold to retail closed down.
The 4th only sold the oil in bulk to major oil uses like trucking companies & construction companies and they have gone from strength to strength
When I had a pailing fence I used the old oil to paint the pailings from the bottom rail to the end.
This was a time honoured way of disposing of old oil and preserving the wooden fence
On the farm all of the exposed timber still gets the same treatment regardless of the EPA down here banning it .
The problem with all EPA's is they don't have enough money to do real life situation testing and rely very heavily on artifical lab tests .
A lot of these tests are funded by vested interest to achieve a result that is financially benficial to them.
Then this becomes a law like the one that made painting timber with old oil illegal .
In the small qualtities nature can handle old oil, there is a host of micro organisms that will attack it breaking it back down into it's elements to be recycled .
In heavier concentrations there are mushrooms that will grow in oil contaminated soil and clean it while growing .
Even better is the flowering heads are excellent cattle food .
However the process got banned based on information from Caltex .
I ran out courier fleet on retreaded tyres and again Sydney had 3 retreading plants so then the tyre companies did a job on retreads with the message the using them murders your children.
Same result 0 sales to the general public so 2 plats closed down.
The final plant sold directly to taxi companies and because of the limited vehicles that could be used as taxis they had enough volume to make the process viable.
Then we deregulated taxi services so they can use any car
the nett result is 250,000 more tyres stockpiled till they "accidentially" catch fire .

FWIW My old oil goes to reprocessing plant that simply strains & dewaters it then sells it to shipping companies to be burned in their engines once in international waters .

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always collect my oil drains, And then take them to local Auto Parts house, where I dump it in their recycle tank in back..

My vintage B&S Flattie 22" push mower gets oil changed end of each season.. And it is still cutting beautifully..
a while back I thought it was going downhill. And that winter I re-did the valves & it perked right up again..(y)

captchas

Threads
shop uses waste oil to make heat in the winter , guess that's just recycling at one of the best ways

Armana

Forum Newbie
Threads
Years ago I was at an automotive engine rebuilder and he showed me a hot rod trans am engine that was blown because the owner never changed the oil. It sticks in my mind to this day and I’ll never go without changing the oil. Especially true is the fact that after engine breakin there are micro particles that will grit the engine causing wear. As earlier mentioned, sure they’ll be glad to sell you a new engine. Meanwhile I still have 2 Wisconsin TRA-10s from 1968 that run like a charm.

Briantii

Threads
Having worked in an EPA agency, the push has been to reduce used oil, just like the push to reduce gasoline consumption. I don't agree with it but that has been the push, mostly California driven. That push is part of why engine manufacturers have all these don't need to change oil engines. People just haven't been responsible with the used oil when they change it. Too much of it has ended up in local streams and ground water, land fills etc.. Perfect example, neighbor changes oil, it sits in the drain pan for months outside until the rains come. Water fills the drain pan, oil overflows, goes down driveway, and into nearby creek. They didn't mean harm but once in the creek it kills a salmon spawning area. So the way to stop that is make it harder for people to change the oil, and that is what the EPA agencies have pushed for.

I truly wonder if more is spilled because of changes or because the oil sludged up and sent a rod through the block.

donens2018

Threads
I agree with Briantii. The manufacturers fail to realize or likely ignore the fact the blow by or throwing oil doesn't get rid of the massive sludge in the bottom crankcase, wearing out mains, guides, etc. That never goes away by just adding oil. Ridiculous!!!

rustycat

Threads

NO MORE OIL CHANGES​

Our XTX Series™ engine never needs an oil change. Just top it off every now and then and you’re good to go.

Kohler engine...???? found this on the Kohler web site. I'm kind of like don't know what to say. Can the Pro's enlighten me?
New trend? Not everyone has caught up to fuel injection yet.
That's the dumbest idea ever. It's for LAZY home owners who will never check or change the oil anyways. I get customers how are more worried about getting the blade sharpen than if it has any oil in the motor. Run it till it dies and then complain about what a POS the mower was.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
it doesn't have to make sense for them to do it. Example: 2/14/2022 the National Academy of Sciences published the first thorough peer-reviewed research paper on the true complete cost of corn ethanol in gasoline, which includes all the steps that go into it. Simply put, their research found that the overall cost of using corn as an ethanol source generates 24% more CO2 than non-ethanol fuels, and on top of that does much more damage to the soils and water. Now that we all have the science, has that affected how the current administration pushes using corn ethanol in fuel?

Gord Baker

Threads
You cannot educate the Stupid. Clever marketing ploy. Burn up the engine. Throw it all away. Buy buy buy.
I warm up my ICE's every Spring and Change oil and filters. Synthetic in the Snowblower for easy starting.