No oil change?

Mattmotors

Threads

NO MORE OIL CHANGES​

Our XTX Series™ engine never needs an oil change. Just top it off every now and then and you’re good to go.

Kohler engine...???? found this on the Kohler web site. I'm kind of like don't know what to say. Can the Pro's enlighten me?
New trend? Not everyone has caught up to fuel injection yet.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

NO MORE OIL CHANGES​

Our XTX Series™ engine never needs an oil change. Just top it off every now and then and you’re good to go.

Kohler engine...???? found this on the Kohler web site. I'm kind of like don't know what to say. Can the Pro's enlighten me?
New trend? Not everyone has caught up to fuel injection yet.
In an effort to appear "green" the marketing morons at Kohler and B&S are now selling engines with no real changes from older engines that now no longer need oil changes. So when it starts burnig oil just keep adding till you can't stand the smoke from the worn engine. Of course as crappy as the push mowers these engines are mounted on the engines will probably outlast the rest of the mower. <rant off>

Lawn Addict
Threads
And ya just buy another when that one dies...

I'd change it anyhow..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In an effort to appear "green" the marketing morons at Kohler and B&S are now selling engines with no real changes from older engines that now no longer need oil changes. So when it starts burnig oil just keep adding till you can't stand the smoke from the worn engine. Of course as crappy as the push mowers these engines are mounted on the engines will probably outlast the rest of the mower. <rant off>
All this no oil change does is appease the people that never changed the oil anyway. people were not changing their push mower oil in the 70's so why start now. The idea is the engine is designed to last about 10 years or 125 hours and the average push mower is replaced something like every 3.5 years so most never make it to their life expectancy before being set on the curb with a free sign on them.

captchas

Threads
kohler has had these motors out for several years already, my own on a toro is now 3 years old, and my personal guess about no oil change, is since they are made in china ,seem to be clones of a honda like many others , just maybe they are really on i don't care throw away machines

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just adds to abuse of the equipment. Some users are just that lazy and cheap. They rather spend the money on the vices like beer, cigerettes, drugs, etc. I got several that bitches everytime one of their engine bites the big one. I current a rider in the shop that has been abused a lot including coming with oil barely showing the dipstick. It is only 5 yrs old and the customer is thinking about buying a commercial unit. I got news for them it will not last any longer if he don't keep oil in it.

captchas

Threads
OH HOW TRUE!
while i am a semi retired master auto tech. I to repair lawn eqp. both at home and for a small local OPE shop. machines come in with the owner saying it will not run and i can't pull the cord, zero oil and locked up as tight as they can get, OH i need to add or change the oil, OM say s it's not needed or they suffer from ethanol gas issues from improper long term storage

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having worked in an EPA agency, the push has been to reduce used oil, just like the push to reduce gasoline consumption. I don't agree with it but that has been the push, mostly California driven. That push is part of why engine manufacturers have all these don't need to change oil engines. People just haven't been responsible with the used oil when they change it. Too much of it has ended up in local streams and ground water, land fills etc.. Perfect example, neighbor changes oil, it sits in the drain pan for months outside until the rains come. Water fills the drain pan, oil overflows, goes down driveway, and into nearby creek. They didn't mean harm but once in the creek it kills a salmon spawning area. So the way to stop that is make it harder for people to change the oil, and that is what the EPA agencies have pushed for.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well personally here all used oil get taken in to be recycled so I am hopefully doing my part. Just took in 10 gallons over the weekend.