No oil change?

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
I take all my used engine oil and hydraulic oils to a friend who owns a car repair shop and has a used oil burner/heater. Works great and he loves the hydraulic oil because it is great burning. Those of you that live in cold weather regions should check with your local shops to see if they have a used oil burner and would like your used oil. Obviously, if you mix non-oil items like anti-freeze, they cannot take it and you should be sure to be honest about what you have. Most places in Mass that sell motor oil also take used back as mentioned above.

SamB

Threads

NO MORE OIL CHANGES​

Our XTX Series™ engine never needs an oil change. Just top it off every now and then and you’re good to go.

Kohler engine...???? found this on the Kohler web site. I'm kind of like don't know what to say. Can the Pro's enlighten me?
New trend? Not everyone has caught up to fuel injection yet.
Many years ago,I had a 1957 Ford 2d sedan with an inline 6 that leaked and burnt a considerable amount of oil and I had to add oil nearly every time I drove it. The oil was constantly being "changed", but I still changed the oil and filter at the recommended mileage. It lasted me all through high school driving years and then some. Still ran great when I traded it in for a newer car. My opinion on this 'add as you need it' BS is that the contaminants are getting stronger and stronger as time goes on!

BTBO

Threads

NO MORE OIL CHANGES​

Our XTX Series™ engine never needs an oil change. Just top it off every now and then and you’re good to go.

Kohler engine...???? found this on the Kohler web site. I'm kind of like don't know what to say. Can the Pro's enlighten me?
New trend? Not everyone has caught up to fuel injection yet.
Don't be the next idiot by believing a gas powered engine doesn't need regular oil changes. Think of it like this---If you have a sink filled with hot soapy water to clean dinner dishes, and after the dishes are cleaned you don't drain the dirty water. Instead you just keep adding more dirty dishes after each meal. Whatcha think that water will look like? How clean will you be able to get those dishes?

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
In an effort to appear "green" the marketing morons at Kohler and B&S are now selling engines with no real changes from older engines that now no longer need oil changes. So when it starts burnig oil just keep adding till you can't stand the smoke from the worn engine. Of course as crappy as the push mowers these engines are mounted on the engines will probably outlast the rest of the mower. <rant off>
I have been servicing small engines since 1966. I get this change for two reasons. IN all those years, I have never seen an engine worn out from dirty oil. I have seen hundreds dead for lack of oil. Second reason is our world can use less oil changes for small engines, as much of it ends up sitting around in containers till it gets spilled on the down hill wells or gets burned at best in a used oil burner. On an aside, adding oil adds fresh additives and these engines do not cake the oil like other application. In addition, the number of hours on the units where no oil change is allowed are low hour applications period.

sootypipe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with Briantii. The manufacturers fail to realize or likely ignore the fact the blow by or throwing oil doesn't get rid of the massive sludge in the bottom crankcase, wearing out mains, guides, etc. That never goes away by just adding oil. Ridiculous!!!
Manufacturers aren’t that stupid. They are made up of people like you and I! I think you might not be realizing some of the points some of the others have already made. Even before the no-oil-change small engines were released, there were a significant number of owners not changing their oil and they were happy with the life of their engines. In many cases the engines were made so well that they still outlasted the mower or machine that they powered. They also know that there are owners that will still change their oil even though they say they don’t need to. It’s an environmental and marketing thing.

I work for an engine manufacturer. I was recently on a tug with two large v12s. It was this fleet’s newest boat. Had the original factory air filters which were plugged and no oil change yet, oil very dirty. These were hundreds of thousands of dollars in engines, not including gears, shafts, and controls. An engine manufacturer has 0 control over what a customer does with what we sell them. All we can do is potentially opt to not provide warranty coverage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no comparison between modern high performance engines & very low stressed very primitive mower engines .
Modern push mower engines are not much different to what was in motorcycles in the 1930's
They will run quite happily on oil that is bordering on grease consistency, just provided there is enough thin stuff to get between the big end & the journal then splash up to the little end.
The thousands of sprint engines that every tech has pulled down where the sumps needed to be scraped clean after digging out the build up attest to this .
This is why I find all the posts where people are agonizing about which filter to fit side splittingly funny .
And what oil to use comes a close second .

From the engine makers point of view the engine only has to outlive the warranty period .
The sooner after that it fails the better for them & the worse for the planet
So the no oil change mowers will probably run quite well if the oil level is kept up.
All that will happen is when it wears out & starts getting smokey it will be totally worn out & beyond economic repair .
From the factorys view this is great as they do not need to provide repair parts like oversized pistons & rings & under sized con rods as everything will be worn beyond the service limit.
So
1) appeals to lazy customers
2) sells more new engines
3) reduces inventory of service parts
Win win win if you are a shareholder
Loose loose loose if you want your children to be able to walk the planet without carrying oxygen bottles .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manufacturers aren’t that stupid. They are made up of people like you and I! I think you might not be realizing some of the points some of the others have already made. Even before the no-oil-change small engines were released, there were a significant number of owners not changing their oil and they were happy with the life of their engines. In many cases the engines were made so well that they still outlasted the mower or machine that they powered. They also know that there are owners that will still change their oil even though they say they don’t need to. It’s an environmental and marketing thing.

I work for an engine manufacturer. I was recently on a tug with two large v12s. It was this fleet’s newest boat. Had the original factory air filters which were plugged and no oil change yet, oil very dirty. These were hundreds of thousands of dollars in engines, not including gears, shafts, and controls. An engine manufacturer has 0 control over what a customer does with what we sell them. All we can do is potentially opt to not provide warranty coverage.
Research put out by the small engine manufacturers, and you can take it for what you want, claim that by replacing 20% of the oil volume is sufficient to replenish the additives in the oil. The distance between the full and add marks just happens to be 20% of the oil volume. the average oil change interval on an auto engines works out to between 50-100 hours. Which for an engine that is used on a push mower where these no oil change engine are used is around 4-8 years by average annual usage. The no oil change engine is engineered for an average life of 125 hours. Which works out to about a 10 year life span.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Research put out by the small engine manufacturers, and you can take it for what you want, claim that by replacing 20% of the oil volume is sufficient to replenish the additives in the oil. The distance between the full and add marks just happens to be 20% of the oil volume. the average oil change interval on an auto engines works out to between 50-100 hours. Which for an engine that is used on a push mower where these no oil change engine are used is around 4-8 years by average annual usage. The no oil change engine is engineered for an average life of 125 hours. Which works out to about a 10 year life span.
125 hours = 10 years ?
average 1 hour per mow & 25 mows a year = 5 years
Down here it would b around 35 to 45 mows a year.
The MAC truck has a 10 gallon sump & they recommending changing 1/3 of the oil at each scheduled change
The 40 Hp Internationals have 10 gallon sumps & they recommended changing at least 1/2 the oil with each change .
However to do that you drain the sump completely let it stand overnight then put the fresh oil in and top up with the old oil decanted off the top of the bucket so the solids end up in the removed oil .
I can see how that works with a 10 gallon sump.
Not too sure the same applies to a 450ml sump .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Must be a different setup on the Macks than the Mack dump trucks I changed oil on back in 2009. Those had 36-38 qts oil changes. 9 to 9-1/2 gallons. Now of course that might be the difference in US nd imperial gallons too.