New guy, same Briggs surge (bs)...

Cub Wanter

Threads
Take it to a mower shop if you are not going to troubleshoot and fix it. Maybe the Briggs guy can fix it over the phone.

I've found the problem... done everything right to fix it, there's only so many ways you can clean a carburetor... so far I've found 3 ways to mount it.... none of which this pos... I mean, BS is responding...

The Briggs guy wasn't easy to get ahold of, I faxed him my pager number where he then contacted me with a can on a string... I explained my situation and when I got to the word "carburetor" he had a breakdown and started crying... apologizing profusely... he tells me "I can't help you sir, nobody here can"... I tell him it's okay and there's still time to make things right, I start to ask if he knows anyone that can cut me a sweet deal on a kohler, he stutters "O, o, okay, yo, you mean an engine? I, I hear they have working telephones over there" when I hear a knock on his door and it opening, he starts to scream and I lose connection, someone cut the can string.

He essentially didn't help me at all.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Engage the blades, does the surging stop?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engage the blades, does the surging stop?
Think ol' Cub Wanter is a fisherman guys.

We provide exact instructions on how to fix his mower. He replies back with a pizza recipe.

Cub Wanter

Threads
Think ol' Cub Wanter is a fisherman guys.

We provide exact instructions on how to fix his mower. He replies back with a pizza recipe.

Got no patience to fish... I'm done after like 20 minutes of sitting

"clean the carburetor, you're old dirty gas from sitting is clogging the whole thing"

"I've been running 100% in it i'ts whole life, at that it's sat no later than 2 weeks without getting some action, plus this all started with a bad solenoid"

"you have exact instructions"

"I take the bread, I add the sauce, I sprinkle cheese, if you please, I cut the onions, I cut the peppers, this will be good, for leftovers, put it in the oven, for 20 minutes, while I sit back, and drink some guinness."

I so didn't do that.... oh wait

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got no patience to fish... I'm done after like 20 minutes of sitting

"clean the carburetor, you're old dirty gas from sitting is clogging the whole thing"

"I've been running 100% in it i'ts whole life, at that it's sat no later than 2 weeks without getting some action"

"you have exact instructions"

"I take the bread, I add the sauce, I sprinkle cheese, if you please, I cut the onions, I cut the peppers, this will be good, for leftovers, put it in the oven, for 20 minutes, while I sit back, and drink some guinness."

I so didn't do that.... oh wait
Still nothing about fixing your mower engine.
1630762321917.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If choking by hand makes it run better then the engine is not getting enough fuel
You have already eliminated manifold leaks so that basically only leaves a clogged carb
Occasinally very excessive inlet valve lash , a head gasket blown to atmosphere or even a loose intake valve seat can cause surging .
But they are rare and all have other symptoms much bigger than surging.
In all carbs the secondary air passages are are vital as they are where the air supply to the emulsion tube comes from and without a proper flow you won't get enough fuel out the venturi .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What about a sensitive governor?

Richard Milhous

Threads
The Briggs guy wasn't easy to get ahold of, I faxed him my pager number where he then contacted me with a can on a string... I explained my situation and when I got to the word "carburetor" he had a breakdown and started crying... apologizing profusely... he tells me "I can't help you sir, nobody here can"... I tell him it's okay and there's still time to make things right, I start to ask if he knows anyone that can cut me a sweet deal on a kohler, he stutters "O, o, okay, yo, you mean an engine? I, I hear they have working telephones over there" when I hear a knock on his door and it opening, he starts to scream and I lose connection, someone cut the can string.

He essentially didn't help me at all

Ha, you got better help than I did.