New guy, same Briggs surge (bs)...

mitchstein443

Threads
only 2 things will cause a surge like you are saying.. most likely bad fuel mixture.. less likely but possible, loose or damaged crank key where the crank is just off enough of proper alingent to set the timing way to far advanced or retarded..

So let's address the fuel...

it's a briggs... goto ebay buy a 20$ carb, put it on see if it stops surging.. If it does bam you fixed the problem for 20 bucks and a carb swap. if it doesn't... don't use motr oil or wd40.. USE CARB CLEANER to spray around the carb, manifold etc.. if it surges or drops rpms you have a vacum leak, gasket etc.. If you are retarded enough to burn your eyebrows off, don't even try to fix anything just take it to a pro.. I've bee fixing gas engines in cars, trucks, small engines for over 40 years and always used carb claner or brake cleaner to test for leaks, never once lite an engine on fire or brned an eyebrow... jesus the warning you greenies put out there nowadays.. what's next a wrench with knuckle guards?!?

If not and the 20$ carb didn't fix it.. then check the crank key, it may be not severed all the way, making it hard to strat and surge.. replace..

Other thing which should have been checked already but I didn't see mentioned... this is a 12+ year old deal.. so maybe replace the fuel line could be decomposing from thei nside and cloggin up the fuel filter, replace the filter as well if you have not done so yet...

If none of those things fix the problem... check compression...

What I never understood is why anyone would rebuild a carb when you can amazon or ebay one for 20$, I've probably installed over 50 of those cheapies on customers tractors and maybe 2 went bad within a year or came doa..