New B&S 24hp engine

ng75605

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a new B&S engine (24hp OHV Platinum) on a Craftsman riding tractor that takes forever to start. Is this something inherent with B&S engines? Have a 11 year old Kohler 25hp engine on another mower that starts first time everytime. What's up with this B&S engine? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to make sure that the choke is fully closing on start-up. May. Need to be adjusted.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Intek 24 requires a few turn overs with full choke and full throttle lever after sitting for weeks in the garage. Once hot it fires immediately. You can get the "sure fire" type plugs (looks like tungsten center electrode) for most small engines. I found them at walmart. I am still using regular Champions. I also suggest keeping the tractor from moisture soaking as in leaving it outside uncovered. The mag puts out a very weak voltage (compared to car) which is barely visible on a timing light. There is plug booty silicone grease which I use to improve the seal of the rubber on the porcelin plug body.

ng75605

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check to make sure that the choke is fully closing on start-up. May. Need to be adjusted.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try to adjust the cable linkage to make sure it is operating properly.
Appreciate the info Rivets.

ng75605

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you replace the fuel pump?

No. It is brand new so as a last resort I will get Sears repair involved. I just really was wondering if the B&S engines were known to be hard-starters. Have had all kind of mowers but this is the first B&S engine I've had. On my other mower, I was cautioned to go with the Kohler engine over the B&S engine (at an additional cost). I didn't ever regret it. This mower was on a very special sale and I couldn't pass it up and it came with this engine. Thanks for your input.

ng75605

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Intek 24 requires a few turn overs with full choke and full throttle lever after sitting for weeks in the garage. Once hot it fires immediately. You can get the "sure fire" type plugs (looks like tungsten center electrode) for most small engines. I found them at walmart. I am still using regular Champions. I also suggest keeping the tractor from moisture soaking as in leaving it outside uncovered. The mag puts out a very weak voltage (compared to car) which is barely visible on a timing light. There is plug booty silicone grease which I use to improve the seal of the rubber on the porcelin plug body.

I think I will try these plugs if you think they are worth it. I have to keep a battery tender on this new mower just to make sure I have enough cranking power to get it started. Thanks for your info.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is model, type & code?
Is it single cyl or v twin. Over here we get ayp tractors with badged 24hp single cylinder.

ng75605

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is model, type & code?
Is it single cyl or v twin. Over here we get ayp tractors with badged 24hp single cylinder.

It is a 24hp B&S Platinum engine V-twin OHV. Brand new. I have 4.5 hours on it. Bought it last month. Thanks for any info in advance.

possum

Threads
Other than making sure the gas is fresh, the air filter is not clogged with dirt, and the oil not to thick for your current temps the problem belongs to the folks who provide the warranty. I do not like to play around with engines under warranty very much.