New B&S 24hp engine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'll make this as simple asi can. Ethanol is achohol---achohol attracts water---water creates corrosion---corrosion plugs the small passageways in the carb. Achohol causes the viton tips and/or seats to swell, making them not to seat properly. We have found that using the ultrasound cleaner cleans the passageways in the carbs and the brass jets. Setting valve clearance can be done a variety of ways. For the average mechanic, the 1/4" past TDC works well and it is easy to understand. Is it the most accurate way, no. Setting the valve clearance at XXX number of degrees past TDC (this varies with engine size and manufacturer) is the best way, but 99% of the mechanics or average Joe do not have the tools, time or knowledge to do this.
Finally, for the most part a battery with 225 CCA will turn over a small engine very well. The problem is that as this battery will drain down rapidly, unless the engine is kept in optimum operating condition. The average home owner does not do this. Increasing the CCA allows for a wider range of engine conditions, while also allowing the consumer to start their engine in a wider variety of conditions. On this sire we speak to the average person and our answers shouldn't be taken as the only possible and absolute solution. I have to work on someone else's unit and if it comes back, because I only solved the problem in the short run, I will be out of a job fast. Sometimes this means that it is not the cheapest way or easiest way to do things, but that is what we have to do. I want and need the customer to have confidence in me to come back in the future. Hope this answers you concerns.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good answers. thanks. I took time this morning online and will start a thread on ethanol.

chance123

Threads
I'll make this as simple asi can. Ethanol is achohol---achohol attracts water---water creates corrosion---corrosion plugs the small passageways in the carb. Achohol causes the viton tips and/or seats to swell, making them not to seat properly. We have found that using the ultrasound cleaner cleans the passageways in the carbs and the brass jets. Setting valve clearance can be done a variety of ways. For the average mechanic, the 1/4" past TDC works well and it is easy to understand. Is it the most accurate way, no. Setting the valve clearance at XXX number of degrees past TDC (this varies with engine size and manufacturer) is the best way, but 99% of the mechanics or average Joe do not have the tools, time or knowledge to do this.
Finally, for the most part a battery with 225 CCA will turn over a small engine very well. The problem is that as this battery will drain down rapidly, unless the engine is kept in optimum operating condition. The average home owner does not do this. Increasing the CCA allows for a wider range of engine conditions, while also allowing the consumer to start their engine in a wider variety of conditions. On this sire we speak to the average person and our answers shouldn't be taken as the only possible and absolute solution. I have to work on someone else's unit and if it comes back, because I only solved the problem in the short run, I will be out of a job fast. Sometimes this means that it is not the cheapest way or easiest way to do things, but that is what we have to do. I want and need the customer to have confidence in me to come back in the future. Hope this answers you concerns.

+1 "absolutely" EXCELLENT!!!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a feeling the EPA has a hand in the hard starting problem because of shooting for a lean mixture. I have a V-twin Briggs that's been that way since new.

As mentioned, be sure the choke butter fly valves are closing all the way. You can feel resistance on the choke lever when they fully close. Also they can be seen using a mechanics mirror if you are a skilled mechanic. :biggrin:

I have helped mine by closing the spark plug gap to 0.020". Also if it has been idol for an extended period I remove the 4 wing nuts that allow access to the carburetor throat and put about a teaspoon of gas ( measured, don't just dump some ) directly in there for easier starting. The spark plugs seem to be easily fouled.

After all of this, if it sets for even 30 minutes after use it has to be choked to start again. The puzzling part of all this nonsense is that it's a GAS HOG.

After my online adventure on "ethanol" your hard starting and poor mileage can indeed be due to EPA. See new thread

Elias40

Threads
I didn't know you could buy gas without ethanol. I don't believe that it is available in my town but wished it were. Thanks Rivets.
Here in Iowa, out in the boonies, regular unleaded is available, but seems unavailable in communities of 5000+ people.

It also takes more alcohol to produce the same amount of work as gasoline due to the ethanol not having the same energy potential.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here in Iowa, out in the boonies, regular unleaded is available, but seems unavailable in communities of 5000+ people.

It also takes more alcohol to produce the same amount of work as gasoline due to the ethanol not having the same energy potential.

Confirmed mpg penalty by Energy Dept and forum members