need suggestions for dependable ZTR < $4500

Jack17

Threads
You don't need a commercial to do an acre or less of property, it would just be overkill.
Not much different then hunting quail with a machine gun?:wink:

pete326

Threads
Of course! I would love to have Z Master too. But can you honestly justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table...other then 'I feel like buying it because I got the feeling that I need it." There is this guy (on this forum) that is maintaining his 3 acres with an MTD rider that he bought new 15 years ago and has no need for an upgrade, he says,...I can easily relate to that. A commercial grade machine to do 1 acre residential lot...for what reason? To impress the guy next door / keep up with the Joneses?

Jack17 --- I hope you're not hinting that the $1600 CC and JD mentioned in your earlier post will last 15 years. If so, you have unrealistic expectations to go along with a touch of ignorance. I see the purchase being more like buying a car. Some people buy the cheapest model seeking only basic daily transportation yet believing they can make it last forever. Others buy a more expensive model knowing they will have both dependable transportation as well as an enjoyable driving experience. Then there are those who simply can't bring themselves to spend what others are willing to spend. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Joneses. A long time ago, I stopped concerning myself with whatever the Joneses of the world might think. Seriously, why should anyone give a damn about the Joneses? For me, this only has everything to do with buying what I know will be dependable, an enjoyable driving experience and provide excellent performance for many years. You, Jack, are one of the Joneses ... someone toward whom I feel absolutely no obligation whatsoever to "justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table".

Brucebotti

Threads
Pete326,
I don't know much about the others, but I made the decision to go with the Toro MX5060. I am in my third season and absolutely love it. When I was looking, I wanted four things which the Toro had:
- Kawasaki motor
- Fabricated / welded deck
- Serviceable hydro units
- Reputable company / local dealer support

The Toro met all these requirements and was less than $4000. I'm sure you probably can't go wrong with any of your choices.
By the way, I'm 65....have a one acre lot.....no silver spoons here either ....:laughing:

Good Luck,
Bruce

Jack17

Threads
Jack17 --- I hope you're not hinting that the $1600 CC and JD mentioned in your earlier post will last 15 years. If so, you have unrealistic expectations to go along with a touch of ignorance. I see the purchase being more like buying a car. Some people buy the cheapest model seeking only basic daily transportation yet believing they can make it last forever. Others buy a more expensive model knowing they will have both dependable transportation as well as an enjoyable driving experience. Then there are those who simply can't bring themselves to spend what others are willing to spend. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Joneses. A long time ago, I stopped concerning myself with whatever the Joneses of the world might think. Seriously, why should anyone give a damn about the Joneses? For me, this only has everything to do with buying what I know will be dependable, an enjoyable driving experience and provide excellent performance for many years. You, Jack, are one of the Joneses ... someone toward whom I feel absolutely no obligation whatsoever to "justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table".

1987 John Deere mod. 130 cheapest model money could get you back in those days...just got done mowing 2 acres today. Nothing runs like a Deere:thumbsup:

pete326

Threads
1987 John Deere mod. 130 cheapest model money could get you back in those days...just got done mowing 2 acres today. Nothing runs like a Deere:thumbsup:

Good for you, Jack.

PVHIII

Threads
Of course! I would love to have Z Master too. But can you honestly justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table...other then 'I feel like buying it because I got the feeling that I need it." There is this guy (on this forum) that is maintaining his 3 acres with an MTD rider that he bought new 15 years ago and has no need for an upgrade, he says,...I can easily relate to that. A commercial grade machine to do 1 acre residential lot...for what reason? To impress the guy next door / keep up with the Joneses?

I didn't and still don't really need a Fast Trak SD to maintain my lawn...but I WANTED ONE..and I don't have any neighbors to impress... people buy alot of things they don't really need..like cars for instance..you don't NEED a Cadillac to get back and forth to work any dependable car can get you there.. but some people just WANT that Cadillac... to each his own ;-)

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't and still don't really need a Fast Trak SD to maintain my lawn...but I WANTED ONE..and I don't have any neighbors to impress... people buy alot of things they don't really need..like cars for instance..you don't NEED a Cadillac to get back and forth to work any dependable car can get you there.. but some people just WANT that Cadillac... to each his own ;-)

I agree with you on this one. I only had a 1 acre lot when I purchased my commercial ztr mower. I always wanted a ztr mower after using them for years, and decided to get one that would last me 20 years. My dad joked with me that I had more mower than I had lawn. A year later I sold my home and purchased one with over 4 acres to mow. I could have purchased another 42" lawn tractor and been fine with my old lawn but I wouldn't be able to mow the lawn I have now with it, unless I wanted to spend all day mowing on the weekends. It's funny how it all worked out too. I didn't even have a for sale sign up when the house was sold. My wife and I had discussed it, but hadn't made any plans.

Darragh

Forum Newbie
Threads
What about cub cadet zforce so 48
Great all rou do machine