Export thread

need suggestions for dependable ZTR < $4500

P

pete326

I'm interested in buying my first ZTR and could use some suggestions on which ones to consider on a budget of $4500 max ... that's signed, sealed, delivered and ready to cut grass. Our property is slighter more than an acre, pretty much poker-flat with quite a bit of open space. I've done some research and have identified 3 similar machines ... Gravely ZT-XL48, Hustler Raptor SD and Toro MX5060 ... that might be good choices and are available from reputable local dealers. The reviews I've read (which, as a newbie, I view with a bit of skepticism) say each company has a good reputation for building solid residential-level machines. I've visited a few dealers and found all 3 machines to be very close in price with close-to-identical published specifications. For me, this is where the problem arises. If the machines sell for (close to) the same price and have very similar features and specs, how to you draw a distinction and decide what to buy? I'm sure there are other models in this price range, but these seem to get consistently favorable reviews. Dealers handling other brands are either some distance away and/or aren't known to have great customer service. In any case, I'm anxious to see your comments regarding the pros and cons of the Gravely, Hustler and Toro as well as recommendations of other comparable machines. One last thing, since it looks like most machines sell for less when bought online, what kind of experience is reasonable to expect when buying online instead of from a dealer? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

S

shiftsuper175607

I'm interested in buying my first ZTR and could use some suggestions on which ones to consider on a budget of $4500 max ... that's signed, sealed, delivered and ready to cut grass. Our property is slighter more than an acre, pretty much poker-flat with quite a bit of open space. I've done some research and have identified 3 similar machines ... Gravely ZT-XL48, Hustler Raptor SD and Toro MX5060 ... that might be good choices and are available from reputable local dealers. The reviews I've read (which, as a newbie, I view with a bit of skepticism) say each company has a good reputation for building solid residential-level machines. I've visited a few dealers and found all 3 machines to be very close in price with close-to-identical published specifications. For me, this is where the problem arises. If the machines sell for (close to) the same price and have very similar features and specs, how to you draw a distinction and decide what to buy? I'm sure there are other models in this price range, but these seem to get consistently favorable reviews. Dealers handling other brands are either some distance away and/or aren't known to have great customer service. In any case, I'm anxious to see your comments regarding the pros and cons of the Gravely, Hustler and Toro as well as recommendations of other comparable machines. One last thing, since it looks like most machines sell for less when bought online, what kind of experience is reasonable to expect when buying online instead of from a dealer? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

What about deciding based on the engines they have...as far as which are rated the best and the quality of the hydro drives. The big $ parts.
The other parts are easily replaceable.

Ric

Ric

All three would be good mowers but my choice even though I'm a Toro Fan would be the Hustler SD 48. The Gravely is running the Kohler and the others are running the Kawasaki engines. The Toro a low end Kawasaki and the Hustler the Kawasaki FR 691 V. Both the Gravely and Toro are running a 10ga. deck which is fine and all three are running the 2800 drive units which are real good drives. They would be your top end residential units.

The Hustler OTOH is running the 11ga with the 7ga reinforced spindle mounts which is a plus IMO but the big thing that the hustler will have over the others is going to be a better cut.
The Gravely and I believe the Toro both have a blade tip speed of 16.800 fpm and the Hustler is 18.600 fpm so cut quality will be better with the Hustler.

As far as the warranty goes they all have a three year with the Toro having a no hour limitation the Hustler is a three year 300 hr but for a residential unit is really not a big deal with the hours a home owner will put on a unit. For my money The hustler 48 SD is the way I'd go.

J

Jack17

1+ acre to cut, $4,500 budget...were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth? How about some $1,600 Cub Cadet or some other Deere or something?

P

pete326

1+ acre to cut, $4,500 budget...were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth? How about some $1,600 Cub Cadet or some other Deere or something?

Hey Jack(*****), I'm 63 years old. Any silver spoons in my mouth were bought with my money. As for a $1600 CC or JD, well let's just say I don't make it a habit spending money on junk.

B

Bod

With 1 acre you could go down in deck size a bit to stay in budget and look at the Toro Titan line. I agree with staying away from the Kawasaki engine tho.

J

Jack17

Pete,
not to be argumentative but...what part of my replay made you think that I care about your silver spoons or how you spent your dollars? The way I've red your OP is: hmmm...I think I'm gonna go quail hunting tomorrow. I better get my BAR ready. (BAR stands for Browning Automatic Rifle...btw) :wink:

Ric

Ric

With 1 acre you could go down in deck size a bit to stay in budget and look at the Toro Titan line. I agree with staying away from the Kawasaki engine tho.

I wouldn't want to go down a deck size. The 42" or 46" deck would be sufficient for any where between 1 to 2 acres but the 48" would be a good choice and size for an acre of ground and would save you a little time which I assume is one of the reasons he is looking at a ZTR. The last time I looked they don't make the Titan with anything less than the 48"

B

Bod

I wouldn't want to go down a deck size. The 42" or 46" deck would be sufficient for any where between 1 to 2 acres but the 48" would be a good choice and size for an acre of ground and would save you a little time which I assume is one of the reasons he is looking at a ZTR. The last time I looked they don't make the Titan with anything less than the 48"

Oops! You caught me there. Main thing I was getting at was to avoid the Kaw engine.

Ric

Ric

Oops! You caught me there. Main thing I was getting at was to avoid the Kaw engine.

Well you can avoid the Kawasaki engine but imo it's the best on the market residential and commercial. As they say to each his own.

P

pete326

Pete,
not to be argumentative but...what part of my replay made you think that I care about your silver spoons or how you spent your dollars? The way I've red your OP is: hmmm...I think I'm gonna go quail hunting tomorrow. I better get my BAR ready. (BAR stands for Browning Automatic Rifle...btw) :wink:

You original post was not the least bit helpful. You latest post makes absolutely no sense. If you have nothing useful to offer, move on.

P

pete326

Bod --- What problems do you see with the Kawasaki engine? Based on what I've read, I thought it was one of the best available.

S

Shughes717

Any replies That you get from members telling you to stay away from a certain mower brand or engine will be opinion based only, and there are many different opinions on this site about most topics. In this instance I agree with ric. The raptor sd would suit your needs well and should be the last mower you ever have to buy. It would be my top choice of the three you listed. I also think the kawasaki engine is one of the best on the market. I am not a fan of the low end briggs engines, but their commercial line are good engines (vanguard is also one of the top engines on the market imo).

B

Bod

Bod --- What problems do you see with the Kawasaki engine? Based on what I've read, I thought it was one of the best available.
First let me say: As far as smooth, quiet, power, you cant beat Kawasaki. Also let me step back a bit and say: for a homeowner it could be the best choice. The problems I've seen are not product line specific. Just many hard to diagnose unit problems and mostly on the Vtwins which tells me that it is a quality problem on the factory floor. For example I was once instructed by the service rep to "pull the valve covers and use a screw driver and hammer to punch out the plate behind the valve stem ports. Then another that comes to mind was the "running for 1/2 hour and dying" problem which I was told has been fixed but never heard what the diagnoses was. (Not related to the clogged 90 degree elbow on the fuel line on the Toros). Still to this day it is hard to get the Lawn Care guys to by into a Kaw. Then there is the parts cost. IE: some single barrel carbs over $200. Also it may be hard to find a dealer since the terms are so costly. I'm a retired Toro dealer and I wasnt ever a Kawasaki dealer. I got around it due to a deal with another equipment dealer in the next town.

R

RaptorSDer

My situation was much like yours but I'm mowing a little less acreage. I wanted a mower a could jump on and not have to worry about something going wrong. I chose the 48"Raptor SD and so far absolutely love it. I did tons of research but living 10 minutes from a Hustler dealer is what sealed the deal. By the way, I walked in expecting to buy the standard 42" Raptor but the dealer wisely had it sitting in between 2 SD's which made it look like a little kids toy. I just couldn't resist bumping up to the stouter machine. I'm sure you'd enjoy any of the mowers but personally I'm extremely impressed with the SD.

P

pete326

My situation was much like yours but I'm mowing a little less acreage. I wanted a mower a could jump on and not have to worry about something going wrong. I chose the 48"Raptor SD and so far absolutely love it. I did tons of research but living 10 minutes from a Hustler dealer is what sealed the deal. By the way, I walked in expecting to buy the standard 42" Raptor but the dealer wisely had it sitting in between 2 SD's which made it look like a little kids toy. I just couldn't resist bumping up to the stouter machine. I'm sure you'd enjoy any of the mowers but personally I'm extremely impressed with the SD.

Yeah, I'm also leaning toward the SD for the same reasons ... machine is impressive and the dealer, who has a good reputation, is right around the corner. Tough to walk away from that.

NorthBama

NorthBama

Hey Jack(*****), I'm 63 years old. Any silver spoons in my mouth were bought with my money. As for a $1600 CC or JD, well let's just say I don't make it a habit spending money on junk.

I agree I am 65 and I like my Z Master money well spent.

Ric

Ric

I agree I am 65 and I like my Z Master money well spent.

Me and you both, Love my Z Master.

J

Jack17

Me and you both, Love my Z Master.

Of course! I would love to have Z Master too. But can you honestly justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table...other then 'I feel like buying it because I got the feeling that I need it." There is this guy (on this forum) that is maintaining his 3 acres with an MTD rider that he bought new 15 years ago and has no need for an upgrade, he says,...I can easily relate to that. A commercial grade machine to do 1 acre residential lot...for what reason? To impress the guy next door / keep up with the Joneses?

Ric

Ric

Of course! I would love to have Z Master too. But can you honestly justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table...other then 'I feel like buying it because I got the feeling that I need it." There is this guy (on this forum) that is maintaining his 3 acres with an MTD rider that he bought new 15 years ago and has no need for an upgrade, he says,...I can easily relate to that. A commercial grade machine to do 1 acre residential lot...for what reason? To impress the guy next door / keep up with the Joneses?

Nobody is telling you or anyone else to buy a commercial grade mower or the Z Master. I told the OP for my money The hustler 48 SD is the way I'd go. You don't need a commercial to do an acre or less of property, it would just be overkill. Myself and NorthBama just commented we really like our Z Master mowers and it was money well spent.

J

Jack17

You don't need a commercial to do an acre or less of property, it would just be overkill.
Not much different then hunting quail with a machine gun?:wink:

P

pete326

Jack17 --- I hope you're not hinting that the $1600 CC and JD mentioned in your earlier post will last 15 years. If so, you have unrealistic expectations to go along with a touch of ignorance. I see the purchase being more like buying a car. Some people buy the cheapest model seeking only basic daily transportation yet believing they can make it last forever. Others buy a more expensive model knowing they will have both dependable transportation as well as an enjoyable driving experience. Then there are those who simply can't bring themselves to spend what others are willing to spend. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Joneses. A long time ago, I stopped concerning myself with whatever the Joneses of the world might think. Seriously, why should anyone give a damn about the Joneses? For me, this only has everything to do with buying what I know will be dependable, an enjoyable driving experience and provide excellent performance for many years. You, Jack, are one of the Joneses ... someone toward whom I feel absolutely no obligation whatsoever to "justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table".

B

Brucebotti

Pete326,
I don't know much about the others, but I made the decision to go with the Toro MX5060. I am in my third season and absolutely love it. When I was looking, I wanted four things which the Toro had:
- Kawasaki motor
- Fabricated / welded deck
- Serviceable hydro units
- Reputable company / local dealer support

The Toro met all these requirements and was less than $4000. I'm sure you probably can't go wrong with any of your choices.
By the way, I'm 65....have a one acre lot.....no silver spoons here either ....:laughing:

Good Luck,
Bruce

J

Jack17

Jack17 --- I hope you're not hinting that the $1600 CC and JD mentioned in your earlier post will last 15 years. If so, you have unrealistic expectations to go along with a touch of ignorance. I see the purchase being more like buying a car. Some people buy the cheapest model seeking only basic daily transportation yet believing they can make it last forever. Others buy a more expensive model knowing they will have both dependable transportation as well as an enjoyable driving experience. Then there are those who simply can't bring themselves to spend what others are willing to spend. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Joneses. A long time ago, I stopped concerning myself with whatever the Joneses of the world might think. Seriously, why should anyone give a damn about the Joneses? For me, this only has everything to do with buying what I know will be dependable, an enjoyable driving experience and provide excellent performance for many years. You, Jack, are one of the Joneses ... someone toward whom I feel absolutely no obligation whatsoever to "justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table".

1987 John Deere mod. 130 cheapest model money could get you back in those days...just got done mowing 2 acres today. Nothing runs like a Deere:thumbsup:

P

pete326

1987 John Deere mod. 130 cheapest model money could get you back in those days...just got done mowing 2 acres today. Nothing runs like a Deere:thumbsup:

Good for you, Jack.

PVHIII

PVHIII

I didn't and still don't really need a Fast Trak SD to maintain my lawn...but I WANTED ONE..and I don't have any neighbors to impress... people buy alot of things they don't really need..like cars for instance..you don't NEED a Cadillac to get back and forth to work any dependable car can get you there.. but some people just WANT that Cadillac... to each his own ;-)

S

Shughes717

I didn't and still don't really need a Fast Trak SD to maintain my lawn...but I WANTED ONE..and I don't have any neighbors to impress... people buy alot of things they don't really need..like cars for instance..you don't NEED a Cadillac to get back and forth to work any dependable car can get you there.. but some people just WANT that Cadillac... to each his own ;-)

I agree with you on this one. I only had a 1 acre lot when I purchased my commercial ztr mower. I always wanted a ztr mower after using them for years, and decided to get one that would last me 20 years. My dad joked with me that I had more mower than I had lawn. A year later I sold my home and purchased one with over 4 acres to mow. I could have purchased another 42" lawn tractor and been fine with my old lawn but I wouldn't be able to mow the lawn I have now with it, unless I wanted to spend all day mowing on the weekends. It's funny how it all worked out too. I didn't even have a for sale sign up when the house was sold. My wife and I had discussed it, but hadn't made any plans.

D

Darragh

What about cub cadet zforce so 48
Great all rou do machine