need suggestions for dependable ZTR < $4500

pete326

Threads
Pete,
not to be argumentative but...what part of my replay made you think that I care about your silver spoons or how you spent your dollars? The way I've red your OP is: hmmm...I think I'm gonna go quail hunting tomorrow. I better get my BAR ready. (BAR stands for Browning Automatic Rifle...btw) :wink:

You original post was not the least bit helpful. You latest post makes absolutely no sense. If you have nothing useful to offer, move on.

pete326

Threads
Oops! You caught me there. Main thing I was getting at was to avoid the Kaw engine.

Bod --- What problems do you see with the Kawasaki engine? Based on what I've read, I thought it was one of the best available.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any replies That you get from members telling you to stay away from a certain mower brand or engine will be opinion based only, and there are many different opinions on this site about most topics. In this instance I agree with ric. The raptor sd would suit your needs well and should be the last mower you ever have to buy. It would be my top choice of the three you listed. I also think the kawasaki engine is one of the best on the market. I am not a fan of the low end briggs engines, but their commercial line are good engines (vanguard is also one of the top engines on the market imo).

Bod

Threads
Bod --- What problems do you see with the Kawasaki engine? Based on what I've read, I thought it was one of the best available.
First let me say: As far as smooth, quiet, power, you cant beat Kawasaki. Also let me step back a bit and say: for a homeowner it could be the best choice. The problems I've seen are not product line specific. Just many hard to diagnose unit problems and mostly on the Vtwins which tells me that it is a quality problem on the factory floor. For example I was once instructed by the service rep to "pull the valve covers and use a screw driver and hammer to punch out the plate behind the valve stem ports. Then another that comes to mind was the "running for 1/2 hour and dying" problem which I was told has been fixed but never heard what the diagnoses was. (Not related to the clogged 90 degree elbow on the fuel line on the Toros). Still to this day it is hard to get the Lawn Care guys to by into a Kaw. Then there is the parts cost. IE: some single barrel carbs over $200. Also it may be hard to find a dealer since the terms are so costly. I'm a retired Toro dealer and I wasnt ever a Kawasaki dealer. I got around it due to a deal with another equipment dealer in the next town.

RaptorSDer

Threads
My situation was much like yours but I'm mowing a little less acreage. I wanted a mower a could jump on and not have to worry about something going wrong. I chose the 48"Raptor SD and so far absolutely love it. I did tons of research but living 10 minutes from a Hustler dealer is what sealed the deal. By the way, I walked in expecting to buy the standard 42" Raptor but the dealer wisely had it sitting in between 2 SD's which made it look like a little kids toy. I just couldn't resist bumping up to the stouter machine. I'm sure you'd enjoy any of the mowers but personally I'm extremely impressed with the SD.

pete326

Threads
My situation was much like yours but I'm mowing a little less acreage. I wanted a mower a could jump on and not have to worry about something going wrong. I chose the 48"Raptor SD and so far absolutely love it. I did tons of research but living 10 minutes from a Hustler dealer is what sealed the deal. By the way, I walked in expecting to buy the standard 42" Raptor but the dealer wisely had it sitting in between 2 SD's which made it look like a little kids toy. I just couldn't resist bumping up to the stouter machine. I'm sure you'd enjoy any of the mowers but personally I'm extremely impressed with the SD.

Yeah, I'm also leaning toward the SD for the same reasons ... machine is impressive and the dealer, who has a good reputation, is right around the corner. Tough to walk away from that.

NorthBama

Threads
Hey Jack(*****), I'm 63 years old. Any silver spoons in my mouth were bought with my money. As for a $1600 CC or JD, well let's just say I don't make it a habit spending money on junk.

I agree I am 65 and I like my Z Master money well spent.

Jack17

Threads
Me and you both, Love my Z Master.

Of course! I would love to have Z Master too. But can you honestly justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table...other then 'I feel like buying it because I got the feeling that I need it." There is this guy (on this forum) that is maintaining his 3 acres with an MTD rider that he bought new 15 years ago and has no need for an upgrade, he says,...I can easily relate to that. A commercial grade machine to do 1 acre residential lot...for what reason? To impress the guy next door / keep up with the Joneses?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Of course! I would love to have Z Master too. But can you honestly justify a purchase of such machine to tend to 1 acre lot flat as a poker table...other then 'I feel like buying it because I got the feeling that I need it." There is this guy (on this forum) that is maintaining his 3 acres with an MTD rider that he bought new 15 years ago and has no need for an upgrade, he says,...I can easily relate to that. A commercial grade machine to do 1 acre residential lot...for what reason? To impress the guy next door / keep up with the Joneses?

Nobody is telling you or anyone else to buy a commercial grade mower or the Z Master. I told the OP for my money The hustler 48 SD is the way I'd go. You don't need a commercial to do an acre or less of property, it would just be overkill. Myself and NorthBama just commented we really like our Z Master mowers and it was money well spent.