need suggestions for dependable ZTR < $4500

pete326

Threads
I'm interested in buying my first ZTR and could use some suggestions on which ones to consider on a budget of $4500 max ... that's signed, sealed, delivered and ready to cut grass. Our property is slighter more than an acre, pretty much poker-flat with quite a bit of open space. I've done some research and have identified 3 similar machines ... Gravely ZT-XL48, Hustler Raptor SD and Toro MX5060 ... that might be good choices and are available from reputable local dealers. The reviews I've read (which, as a newbie, I view with a bit of skepticism) say each company has a good reputation for building solid residential-level machines. I've visited a few dealers and found all 3 machines to be very close in price with close-to-identical published specifications. For me, this is where the problem arises. If the machines sell for (close to) the same price and have very similar features and specs, how to you draw a distinction and decide what to buy? I'm sure there are other models in this price range, but these seem to get consistently favorable reviews. Dealers handling other brands are either some distance away and/or aren't known to have great customer service. In any case, I'm anxious to see your comments regarding the pros and cons of the Gravely, Hustler and Toro as well as recommendations of other comparable machines. One last thing, since it looks like most machines sell for less when bought online, what kind of experience is reasonable to expect when buying online instead of from a dealer? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm interested in buying my first ZTR and could use some suggestions on which ones to consider on a budget of $4500 max ... that's signed, sealed, delivered and ready to cut grass. Our property is slighter more than an acre, pretty much poker-flat with quite a bit of open space. I've done some research and have identified 3 similar machines ... Gravely ZT-XL48, Hustler Raptor SD and Toro MX5060 ... that might be good choices and are available from reputable local dealers. The reviews I've read (which, as a newbie, I view with a bit of skepticism) say each company has a good reputation for building solid residential-level machines. I've visited a few dealers and found all 3 machines to be very close in price with close-to-identical published specifications. For me, this is where the problem arises. If the machines sell for (close to) the same price and have very similar features and specs, how to you draw a distinction and decide what to buy? I'm sure there are other models in this price range, but these seem to get consistently favorable reviews. Dealers handling other brands are either some distance away and/or aren't known to have great customer service. In any case, I'm anxious to see your comments regarding the pros and cons of the Gravely, Hustler and Toro as well as recommendations of other comparable machines. One last thing, since it looks like most machines sell for less when bought online, what kind of experience is reasonable to expect when buying online instead of from a dealer? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

What about deciding based on the engines they have...as far as which are rated the best and the quality of the hydro drives. The big $ parts.
The other parts are easily replaceable.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

All three would be good mowers but my choice even though I'm a Toro Fan would be the Hustler SD 48. The Gravely is running the Kohler and the others are running the Kawasaki engines. The Toro a low end Kawasaki and the Hustler the Kawasaki FR 691 V. Both the Gravely and Toro are running a 10ga. deck which is fine and all three are running the 2800 drive units which are real good drives. They would be your top end residential units.

The Hustler OTOH is running the 11ga with the 7ga reinforced spindle mounts which is a plus IMO but the big thing that the hustler will have over the others is going to be a better cut.
The Gravely and I believe the Toro both have a blade tip speed of 16.800 fpm and the Hustler is 18.600 fpm so cut quality will be better with the Hustler.

As far as the warranty goes they all have a three year with the Toro having a no hour limitation the Hustler is a three year 300 hr but for a residential unit is really not a big deal with the hours a home owner will put on a unit. For my money The hustler 48 SD is the way I'd go.

Last edited:

Jack17

Threads
1+ acre to cut, $4,500 budget...were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth? How about some $1,600 Cub Cadet or some other Deere or something?

pete326

Threads
1+ acre to cut, $4,500 budget...were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth? How about some $1,600 Cub Cadet or some other Deere or something?

Hey Jack(*****), I'm 63 years old. Any silver spoons in my mouth were bought with my money. As for a $1600 CC or JD, well let's just say I don't make it a habit spending money on junk.

Bod

Threads
With 1 acre you could go down in deck size a bit to stay in budget and look at the Toro Titan line. I agree with staying away from the Kawasaki engine tho.

Jack17

Threads
Pete,
not to be argumentative but...what part of my replay made you think that I care about your silver spoons or how you spent your dollars? The way I've red your OP is: hmmm...I think I'm gonna go quail hunting tomorrow. I better get my BAR ready. (BAR stands for Browning Automatic Rifle...btw) :wink:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
With 1 acre you could go down in deck size a bit to stay in budget and look at the Toro Titan line. I agree with staying away from the Kawasaki engine tho.

I wouldn't want to go down a deck size. The 42" or 46" deck would be sufficient for any where between 1 to 2 acres but the 48" would be a good choice and size for an acre of ground and would save you a little time which I assume is one of the reasons he is looking at a ZTR. The last time I looked they don't make the Titan with anything less than the 48"

Bod

Threads
I wouldn't want to go down a deck size. The 42" or 46" deck would be sufficient for any where between 1 to 2 acres but the 48" would be a good choice and size for an acre of ground and would save you a little time which I assume is one of the reasons he is looking at a ZTR. The last time I looked they don't make the Titan with anything less than the 48"

Oops! You caught me there. Main thing I was getting at was to avoid the Kaw engine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oops! You caught me there. Main thing I was getting at was to avoid the Kaw engine.

Well you can avoid the Kawasaki engine but imo it's the best on the market residential and commercial. As they say to each his own.