Need new tire chains, which are best?

I've been using some old chains on my mower which are too big for the rear tires. They hit the fenders when I drive fast and they probably aren't doing a whole lot of good. What are some inexpensive options for GOOD chains? I think just getting properly fitting chains would help and I guess I could modify my existing chains but if I can see a major increase in traction for a reasonable price then I'm not against buying a new set.
 
Resizing your existing chains would likely be the most inexpensive way to go. If you don't have the tools take them to a service station. If you want new chains check out tirechains.com. They have a good reputation. For best traction get the V-bar style.

Tire Chains by TireChains.com
 
If the set you now have was a good quality chain... resize them you can also add more cross chains.
If your current set is past half way worn through, Buy a good set... (not going to be cheap), But they will last for years... if you take care of them. Do not use on dry pavement , and don't drive fast with chains.
:smile:KennyV
 
I am going to agree with the others and suggest getting a new set. It simply sounds like the safest thing to do, and I tend to ere on the side of caution.
 
Thanks for the feedback. Get this... a tensioner is $11 and a good tool for working with the links is $30. And a set of new chains is $28. I did the math. They had chains all the way up to $75 though. This mower is old so I'll save the investment for when I get a new mower.
 
I found out were my local muni gets there chains made for there graders, and bought some "scraps". the V bar link has great traction and the price was great.
 
I bought a set from the flea market for very little money and resized them to fit. They have been working for years now. When they beark I use the parts left over from resizing them for repairs.
 
Back
Top