Need new tire chains, which are best?

SouthCentral

Threads
I've been using some old chains on my mower which are too big for the rear tires. They hit the fenders when I drive fast and they probably aren't doing a whole lot of good. What are some inexpensive options for GOOD chains? I think just getting properly fitting chains would help and I guess I could modify my existing chains but if I can see a major increase in traction for a reasonable price then I'm not against buying a new set.

rekees

Threads
Resizing your existing chains would likely be the most inexpensive way to go. If you don't have the tools take them to a service station. If you want new chains check out tirechains.com. They have a good reputation. For best traction get the V-bar style.

Tire Chains by TireChains.com

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the set you now have was a good quality chain... resize them you can also add more cross chains.
If your current set is past half way worn through, Buy a good set... (not going to be cheap), But they will last for years... if you take care of them. Do not use on dry pavement , and don't drive fast with chains.
:smile:KennyV

Hershey

Threads
I am going to agree with the others and suggest getting a new set. It simply sounds like the safest thing to do, and I tend to ere on the side of caution.

SouthCentral

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. Get this... a tensioner is $11 and a good tool for working with the links is $30. And a set of new chains is $28. I did the math. They had chains all the way up to $75 though. This mower is old so I'll save the investment for when I get a new mower.

shrek

Threads
I found out were my local muni gets there chains made for there graders, and bought some "scraps". the V bar link has great traction and the price was great.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bought a set from the flea market for very little money and resized them to fit. They have been working for years now. When they beark I use the parts left over from resizing them for repairs.