My New Mower!

earthworm

Threads
well in the defense of the duraforce 2 stroke, they were jetted too small (emission standards) making them bog like crazy in thick grass because they run too lean. The F series lawnboys have an air adjustment on them and they will dust a 4 stroke when adjusted properly. Nothing but a two stroke lawn boy will be touching my lawn. If you ever get a chance to jump on an f series lawn boy do it because you will not want to mow with anything else after using it!

The solution with the reason
Great
I too am a two stroke fan, being lighter, there is no reason for self-propelled, at least on level grounds.
Also, they are less noisy.
Now, I too own a 10685, an excellent unit, but it could be better.

A smooth plastic deck(Honda) to allow for better mulching...Around here, the grass is always wet, this leads to accumulated mud and grass under the deck - quite the problem..
I really do have a lousy lawn, I must admit...

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The solution with the reason
Great
I too am a two stroke fan, being lighter, there is no reason for self-propelled, at least on level grounds.
Also, they are less noisy.
Now, I too own a 10685, an excellent unit, but it could be better.

A smooth plastic deck(Honda) to allow for better mulching...Around here, the grass is always wet, this leads to accumulated mud and grass under the deck - quite the problem..
I really do have a lousy lawn, I must admit...

I don't quite follow your comment about a plastic deck allowing better mulching. I understand that a non-rusting material is highly desirable but Lawn-Boy's mg/al deck takes care of that. Is plastic better for some reason?

Also, exactly what material is the Honda deck made of? I have heard that they do break sometimes but so does a mg/al deck if you hit it hard enough. :eek:

cutty1998

Threads
I don't quite follow your comment about a plastic deck allowing better mulching. I understand that a non-rusting material is highly desirable but Lawn-Boy's mg/al deck takes care of that. Is plastic better for some reason?

Also, exactly what material is the Honda deck made of? I have heard that they do break sometimes but so does a mg/al deck if you hit it hard enough. :eek:

this might be what he is referring to....... NeXite™ Mowing Deck

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the link, cutty. It was interesting but not all that specific about exactly what that "polymer" is. I wonder if it's stronger than mg/al. I suspect that it's cheaper. However, I have no doubt that it's better than steel since it can't rust.

earthworm

Threads

Now I must think a little....lol....lol...
The problem that I have is that my grass is always wet...it seems to rain every day around here and the drying time is l o n g , ever so l o n g .....So, the mud , grass, and moisture stick and clog up the works..

The mowing with the 10685 takes many hours, of which, many are spend cleaning the machine, over and over...I must try some more of that no-stick spray...
A smooth plastic surface would be better, similar to the Honda machine...Or a teflon surface.....nothing sticks, at least for the first week !!!

Everything breaks, or rusts....magnesium is particularly bad...Hard to say what is best....
The LB 10685 is far too "unstreamlined" at its undersides, far too complex with housings, bumps, seams, screws...
We need a total reingineering here..
A 100% dedicated mulcher would be much the better...

Threads
Now I must think a little....lol....lol...
The problem that I have is that my grass is always wet...it seems to rain every day around here and the drying time is l o n g , ever so l o n g .....So, the mud , grass, and moisture stick and clog up the works..

The mowing with the 10685 takes many hours, of which, many are spend cleaning the machine, over and over...I must try some more of that no-stick spray...
A smooth plastic surface would be better, similar to the Honda machine...Or a teflon surface.....nothing sticks, at least for the first week !!!

Everything breaks, or rusts....magnesium is particularly bad...Hard to say what is best....
The LB 10685 is far too "unstreamlined" at its undersides, far too complex with housings, bumps, seams, screws...
We need a total reingineering here..
A 100% dedicated mulcher would be much the better...

Yeah a mower like that would be nice! Don't get me wrong...I do bag in the fall, but in the spring and summer it is 100% 24/7 mulching. It would be nice if they made a commercial mower superior at mulching (someone might say the Honda HRC mowers), but maybe wider than 21 inches. All the commercial mowers (like the Exmark Metro 26) are great baggers, and just OK mulchers. :frown:

Threads
I find that my HRX217HYA does much better than my HRR216TDA in wet or tall grass (or even average-height grass). I think it is a combination of the NeXite deck and the more powerful engine (it has the GCV190 engine). :licking:

earthworm

Threads
i have a F series lawn boy myself and i would let someone have it for what i have in it if they want i hate that thing i would rather use my John Deere 14 SB over it anyway as a matter of fact i would rather use my murray as that lawn boy but thats just my opinion

Punctuation and proper grammar are great things to use in communication.
Without these, we have a difficult read...

earthworm

Threads
A Lawn Boy isn't the mower for someone that wants to do nothing more than pull a rope, and cut grass.
However, if you enjoy working on small engines as a hobby, like getting all kinds of looks as you mow your lawn (and a great cut they produce), and appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of days gone by, you can't find a better product. For the guys here still using the old Lawnboys, how many other guys on your street, or neighborhood still are?
But, I know of NOTHING that does not need regular maintenance...
Of course, there are times when this servicing is overly frequent....
Yeah - pull and mow, and then after three years, pitch it and buy another..
This, IMO, is NOT how things should be done..