My Friend got ripped off by the Dealer.

davis2

Threads
I notice the shops don't really open up the item to accurately diagnose the problem. Some of the best is a Kawasaki ignition came loose and jammed the flywheel. Moved it back and done... if they just turned it by hand and noticed something is hitting something else and it is not inside the motor. Just remove the cover and they would have found the problem and be done in less than 10 minutes.

Stuff like that.

Then again, I got a lot of my toys from shops because of them. Their incompetence fuel my guilty pleasure....
What about the poor SOB who had to buy new equipment due to the incompetence? They are probably pissed!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
We had a shop burn down a few years ago

Had more than one new customer tell me they had equipment there and their equipment wasn't insured, only the building and tools not customer equipment. I don't know the whole story but there are still bad feelings with some folks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

Had more than one new customer tell me they had equipment there and their equipment wasn't insured, only the building and tools not customer equipment. I don't know the whole story but there are still bad feelings with some folks.
Business liability insurance doesn't cover customer items. And tools, inventory, real estate is a separate rider. Don't know of any business liabiltiy that covers customer items left at the dealership.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A guy had a new $20k mower in for service that burned. He was just out $20k

davis2

Threads

Those fires are tough to put out. They also pretty much destroy everything.

CaptFerd

Threads
Welcome to the new generation of YouTube graduates. Yes, skip through a few videos from clown shows, old Couger flaunting her wrinkled cleavage or drunks in ye ole mower saloon and you become a professional at anything you desire.

ChuckBJr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have always said that being a mechanic is something that you have to be born with. To be a true mechanic you have it in your DNA. You will have the underlying mindset of wanting to know how things work, and that is not something that can be taught.
So many 'mechanics' (paid or shade tree) ignore the KISS principle - jump to conclusions without observing and testing adequately. I worked on my own motorcycles for many years and small engines as needed. Probably 95% or more of the problems are the easiest, simplest, cheapest thing to fix but you have to understand each system and how they interact as part of the whole.

gossamer

Threads
One aspect I haven't seen mentioned here is the economics of it. Labor rates are very expensive. A replacement carb is cheap. Why pay someone to take a carb apart, rebuild it, then put it back on when a new carb is $20 and can be replaced in 20 minutes?

That the OP had an experience where the carb was replaced and still had a problem is the result of a cheap China (Taiwan?) carb. Perhaps the shop should have known not to use such a cheap carb, but he also didn't mention whether he took it back to the shop to have it fixed properly.