My Friend got ripped off by the Dealer.

Hollingerw19

Forum Newbie
Threads
Friend has a Troy Bilt walk-behind Mower with a 6.75 Briggs Engine. The only way he could start it was using starting fluid. He took it to a Mower notable shop and they said the Carburetor is bad. They put on a new OEM carburetor. He got it back Home and it wouldn't start any better. He took it back and they said the Engine compression was low so it needs a short-block. They didn't offer any compensation for the previous repair. Before tossing it, he asked me to take a look and I found Auto-choke was holding the butterfly wide open when Engine cold. Removed the Engine shroud and discovered the plastic Vane for the Auto-Choke was warped causing it to hit the underside of the Shroud. I heated it up with a Torch and lowered it a bit. Put the shroud on and it moved freely. Now the Mower starts on the first pull. It seemed simple to me as I fixed it while he waited. I'm assuming the Repair Shop tested the Mower with the Shroud off?
It's possible they done that way to scam people. I had fair share of dealership ripoffs my dad's hustlerturf raptor SD. They charged him $1400 for a new PTO and figured out the engine shakes. I have rebuilt metal and plastic carburetors. I will never run E10 or above fuels for the plastic only E0. E0 to E10 is for the metal carburetors.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's possible they done that way to scam people. I had fair share of dealership ripoffs my dad's hustlerturf raptor SD. They charged him $1400 for a new PTO and figured out the engine shakes. I have rebuilt metal and plastic carburetors. I will never run E10 or above fuels for the plastic only E0. E0 to E10 is for the metal carburetors.
I don't think it was done that way to be a scam. I suspect that it was assumed that the no start was due to a carb or fuel issue, which in a very large portion of no starts would be a true statement. Now basing on that statement the fix would be a new carb due to time and cost considerations. Depending on how the engine was disassembled to install the new carb the issue of the choke not being closed for a cold start may of be overlooked because when certain parts were removed it would of allowed the stuck choke to close, and unless it was noticed that the choke was stuck open would of resulted in a faulty diagnosis, Since the choke would of closed on disassembly I suspect after replacing the carb the mower started on the first pull, but the allowed the choke to open and then get stuck again, which at that time they considered the issue resolved.

Most repair shops don't have the time or don't take the time to just play with a customer product. I have had customers get upset with me because their item takes so long to repair and want it back yesterday.

Here is an example of an issue I have come across multiple times and can only be diagnosed after basically parts cannon it because you have to eliminate every other possible cause first. . Blower runs about 20 minutes and starts bogging down and sounds like it running out of gas and if you hold the trigger will die, but will idle all day long. Or a chainsaw that basically shutoff when the trigger is pulled but will start back up on the first pull every time and will idle until the tank runs dry. Let me know what you think the issue is with these two examples,

RevB

Threads
Yes there is a lot of dealers with less than shade tree mechanics. I have been called a shade tree mechanic myself because I was working under shade tree. But that is different.

I got several dealers in my area that need to just close up shop too. The attempted ripoff was a Kawasaki FX1000V repair I did a couple years ago. The dealer told the customer he need a new $4000 engine. So the customer decided to give me a shot at it after hearing about my workmanship. It turned to just be a blown head gasket; a $300 repair job. The still buys his new equipment from that dealer but will not let them touch it when repairs are needed.
That's like rewarding criminals.....

LawnWizard

Threads
Yes there is a lot of dealers with less than shade tree mechanics. I have been called a shade tree mechanic myself because I was working under shade tree. But that is different.

I got several dealers in my area that need to just close up shop too. The attempted ripoff was a Kawasaki FX1000V repair I did a couple years ago. The dealer told the customer he need a new $4000 engine. So the customer decided to give me a shot at it after hearing about my workmanship. It turned to just be a blown head gasket; a $300 repair job. The still buys his new equipment from that dealer but will not let them touch it when repairs are needed.
I'm certainly not making excuses for the repair shop (especially if they are selling FX1000 for $4K) but, as I'm sure you know, low compression isn't always as simple as a blown head gasket. Their "techs" are getting paid pretty well and anything beyond a very minor repair runs the risk of running up quite a bill. The risk is too high when many shops can make more $$ with oil changes and spark plugs, especially during busy season. For guys like you who are comfortable opening an engine up, and know what to do once in there, it's a great deal for all involved.

will55912

Forum Newbie
Threads
The true mark of a great mechanic is one that you enter the shop and see and think what a mess.....tools lying around everywhere, but he needs a certain tool, he can easily find it in the mess.

rutbuster1

Threads
I am very lucky at my mechanical skills. I was raised up around heavy equipment, racing dirtbikes, cars, and working on small engines. I can diagnose and almost fix anything mechanical and can diagnose most electrical problems. My dad didn't even have to inspire me to learn about the skill. I wanted to learn. Many times I've seen people trash good equipment with the simplest of problems. Many problems I've seen were "Had they only done proper maintenance." kind of things. When I was racing dirtbikes and cars, we worked on our own stuff. We had to. We couldn't afford to race otherwise. Most small engines are simple and if you do the simplest of maintenance work, most will last for years. Now when it comes to today's cars, the engines are the simple part. It's all the electronic crap that tells the engine what to do that's the headache. With all this EPA required junk nowadays, it makes things so much more complicated than it needs to be. And that's to include most current heavy equipment. Most current technicians can't diagnose what's wrong without a scanner and if the scanner doesn't tell them where to look, they're lost. It's sad that today's generation has lost so much basic knowledge and common sense.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a lot of new "stuff" without being able to scan for error codes you will never be able to diagnose and properly troubleshoot it.
Been working on stuff for half a century and made a living carrying a toolbox for over 40 of it. The problem is usually not the scanner but people trying to out think things and won't follow a diagnostic flowchart

red423

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can attest to shady repair people. I just stopped going any at all. found it cheaper to consult the interwebs and DIIY repairs. parts aren't that expensive anymore so a DIY repair is way better for me, I also like a few here have had equipment brought to me before it being junked, some I won some well lets just say challenging. I watch a YT guy James Croden, a little boring at times but he is thorough, I mean thorough, picked up a couple of his tricks as he himself has gotten better equipment. over time and a nicer shop layout.

davis2

Threads
Welcome to the new generation of YouTube graduates. Yes, skip through a few videos from clown shows, old Couger flaunting her wrinkled cleavage or drunks in ye ole mower saloon and you become a professional at anything you desire.
Sometimes those videos help refresh my memory on stuff I can do for myself. Nothing wrong with that.

borisdmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Small engine or car mechanic, there are the truly great ones, those that dare I say have a great deal of common sense, (rare commodity these days), who can think, diagnose and repair. Who want to be paid a fair wage and earn a living as they should and well those, who either just want to rip people off, or who have no idea of what they are doing despite the certification on their wall