My Friend got ripped off by the Dealer.

KC135R

Forum Newbie
Threads
Friend has a Troy Bilt walk-behind Mower with a 6.75 Briggs Engine. The only way he could start it was using starting fluid. He took it to a Mower notable shop and they said the Carburetor is bad. They put on a new OEM carburetor. He got it back Home and it wouldn't start any better. He took it back and they said the Engine compression was low so it needs a short-block. They didn't offer any compensation for the previous repair. Before tossing it, he asked me to take a look and I found Auto-choke was holding the butterfly wide open when Engine cold. Removed the Engine shroud and discovered the plastic Vane for the Auto-Choke was warped causing it to hit the underside of the Shroud. I heated it up with a Torch and lowered it a bit. Put the shroud on and it moved freely. Now the Mower starts on the first pull. It seemed simple to me as I fixed it while he waited. I'm assuming the Repair Shop tested the Mower with the Shroud off?
JD, I'm assuming the shop does not know wtf they are doing. Only taking peoples money. They can bend the auto-choke linkage when putting the shroud on.

Chuckers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stealerships are all the same anymore. Doesn't matter if it's automobiles or outdoor equipment. It's cheaper and more profitable for them just to be parts replacers rather then actual mechanics. You have to avoid the stealership as much as possible.

This does not mean that independent small engine shops are always better. In my area they are also just parts replacers but they are cheaper than the stealershipa and less shady.

I try to fix my own when I can.

SamB

Threads
What normally happens with my customers is they don’t even try, or try very little to repair their equipment. They don’t fire the parts cannon, and neither do I.
I read time after time where "I replaced this and that and also this and, yes, that part and my mower still will not start!
(out of gas) :-D