My Friend got ripped off by the Dealer.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So many 'mechanics' (paid or shade tree) ignore the KISS principle - jump to conclusions without observing and testing adequately. I worked on my own motorcycles for many years and small engines as needed. Probably 95% or more of the problems are the easiest, simplest, cheapest thing to fix but you have to understand each system and how they interact as part of the whole.
The KISS method works most of the time when the failed component is the cause of the failure. KISS method doesn't apply to electrical because a simple solution is normally part of a complex problem. The KISS method of electrical is you have to understand and work the system, and you can't jump into the middle and swim your way out most of the time.

Just had another service center call me the other day. He was working on a Toro Z turn and had lost the ground to the solenoid, hour meter, pto, and fuel solenoid on the Kohler engine. If he jumped the solenoid the engine would crank but not start. Basically he had lost the frame ground. Which seems odd considering the frame ground would grounded through the engine with the ground wire attached to the engine. So while we talked on the phone I pulled up a wiring schematic so I could see were everything went. And started tracing ground circuits, and found that everything in question terminated at a relay. He said it clicks when the key is turned on so appears to be working. Asked if they could be tested and I said yes, but would need both a 12v battery source and a meter to properly check function. He said I have a spare relay I will just plug it in a see what happens. Immediately everything started working. But without a working understanding of electrical systems and the schematic would of been a parts cannon scenario.

freedhardwoods

Forum Newbie
Threads
You know that is called being a smart mechanic, not stupid mechanic. I am under the trees my today. It is 100F and humid, The asphalt is at 140+F right and the shop is close to 110F. Lots cooler under the trees but got put down a tarp in case I drop a screw or nut.
The tarp doesn't help because the screw sees it on the way down, aims for your foot and bounces 10 feet away.
:rolleyes: :mad:

Woody

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had an 84 year old lady call me the other day and said she had killed her motor on her Troy Bilt riding mower, her son had checked it and she needs a replacement mower. I told her I had one she could use until we found her one and what was she going to do with her old one? she said I could have it for parts claimed the motor made a squalling sound and smoke came out of the side of it, I was scratching my head on that one so I picked it up carried it home and the motor cracked right up so I replaced both drive belts and carried it back to her and retrieved my old loaner. I'm thinking I'll be her mechanic for life

mgmine

Threads
You take the guy to small claims court. Be sure to bring pictures and any other proof even the mower just to make your point. It doesn't cost much and you will win if you can prove your case.

Cavell

Threads
I had a 33” troybilt walk behind. Would not start <60f. But, who would mow @<60f? I don’t think it had a choke.

dad7432

Threads
Business liability insurance doesn't cover customer items. And tools, inventory, real estate is a separate rider. Don't know of any business liabiltiy that covers customer items left at the dealership.
Not quite as bad... big dealer/shop bankruptcy. I used to live in Springfield VA and took my mower and snowblower to a place off Backlick Road, where I bought the snowblower (in 2003). December of 2013 I picked up my snowblower and dropped off the mower for repair and winter storage (only room enough in garage for one or other). In late February I called them to say I needed my mower. I called for several days in a row over the next few days. Nothing. So Saturday I drove my truck over there to find about 20 other customers (immigrant lawn service guys mostly) and a sign saying the dealer has been in bankruptcy since November! Since I was the only one who could both read and write well in English I collect names, phone numbers, e-mails and for a list of everyone's missing equipment. I e-mail the trustee. Turns out this person is 100 miles away in Richmond and has never seen anything more than a piece of paper from the court telling her she'd been appointed trustee. This person seems like the public defender of bankruptcy law. This happens the first week of March. None of us saw our equipment until Memorial Day, when we all got a number and time to pick up our stuff. There were hundreds of mowers, trimmers, snowblowers in their storage building and it took days to empty it. And if you didn't have your drop off receipt, you were screwed. No mower for you. The landscaping dudes (spanish speaking to a man) were f-ing pissed. The hilarious part was they decided to sue. My neighbor was really tired of me borrowing his pusher. I was really tired of cutting 3/4 acre of hills with a push mower.

Lesson learned: Never leave equipment in dealer storage. Insist on a drop off receipt, whenever you leave equipment with someone for repair or storage. About half of the independent lawn jockeys didn't.

dad7432

Threads
One aspect I haven't seen mentioned here is the economics of it. Labor rates are very expensive. A replacement carb is cheap. Why pay someone to take a carb apart, rebuild it, then put it back on when a new carb is $20 and can be replaced in 20 minutes?

That the OP had an experience where the carb was replaced and still had a problem is the result of a cheap China (Taiwan?) carb. Perhaps the shop should have known not to use such a cheap carb, but he also didn't mention whether he took it back to the shop to have it fixed properly.
Where are you getting a real $20 carb that's not a Chinese knockoff these days?????

curmudgeon555

Threads
There is such satisfaction in being able to successfully solve a problem. It's a feeling that goes beyond money or reward

closecut

Threads
That seems to be the standard of many dealerships.My sister took a JD garden tractor to the dealer for repair.It would get very weak after running a few minutes,and after it cooled,it was ok for a few minutes.
The dealer changed the air filter,cleaned the plugs,replaced an intake gasket and sent her on her way.
Same thing next time she mowed,no improvement.After several trips to the dealer,she asked me to look at it.
First thing I did was check the plugs.I put my socket on one,and it was only finger tight.Same with the other one.They were tight enough to run till it got hot,then they would fail.You could not engineer a better failure to increase shop visits if you tried.They are preying on people with no mechanical knowledge or experience. I tightened up the plugs,and it has run flawlessly for years now.I never take my car to a dealer except for a recall, I do all of my repairs myself,including timing belt or electrical problems.
I have tires rotated and balanced at a local tire shop that is honest and reliable,and I can watch them work.
I service my A//C and plumbing systems on my own home and vehicles.
I have saved more money over the last 50 years than I have made.
Education is expensive,but ignorance is more expensive.:(