My Friend got ripped off by the Dealer.

edporch

Threads
There's some people whose idea of "troubleshooting" is to just "shotgun" in new parts until the problem goes away, then charge you for all the unnecessary parts along the way.
The trick is how to avoid these types.

SamB

Threads
cheap aftermarket chinese parts have made alot of "part swappers" but I bet none of them could yell How or why or what the specific issue was.
The main trouble with cheap Chinese parts is that the OEM manufacturers are using them. I bought a new garage chest freezer recently. A Frigidaire. Made in China. Refrigerant? Isobutane/propane.

Last edited:

SamB

Threads
There's some people whose idea of "troubleshooting" is to just "shotgun" in new parts until the problem goes away, then charge you for all the unnecessary parts along the way.
The trick is how to avoid these types.
I had a vision that goes something like this....You professionals on here need to fill a bucket full of old parts, carbs, bearings,etc and when someone comes in with a problem mower, throw this aforementioned bucket of (small) parts at the mower. Then, when that doesn't fix the problem, say well, your way didn't work. Now we'll try it my way!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Compress_20240623_175048_8863.jpg
Another starter generator/voltage regulator problem. Third one this month. Maybe I should throw some parts at it.

davis2

Threads
You've gotten her number wrong. It's 867-5309. I forgot the area code.
There is an 867 exchange in the 315 area code... How many others know about the song?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I had a vision that goes something like this....You professionals on here need to fill a bucket full of old parts, carbs, bearings,etc and when someone comes in with a problem mower, throw this aforementioned bucket of (small) parts at the mower. Then, when that doesn't fix the problem, say well, your way didn't work. Now we'll try it my way!
What normally happens with my customers is they don’t even try, or try very little to repair their equipment. They don’t fire the parts cannon, and neither do I.

upupandaway

Threads
Yes there is a lot of dealers with less than shade tree mechanics.

I notice the shops don't really open up the item to accurately diagnose the problem. Some of the best is a Kawasaki ignition came loose and jammed the flywheel. Moved it back and done... if they just turned it by hand and noticed something is hitting something else and it is not inside the motor. Just remove the cover and they would have found the problem and be done in less than 10 minutes.

Stuff like that.

Then again, I got a lot of my toys from shops because of them. Their incompetence fuel my guilty pleasure....