MTD Tractor Stopped While Mowing, Now Won't Start

jdpeterman

Threads
Twenty year old mower that was working fine when mowing couple weeks ago, then just coughed and stopped running. I was
done mowing so thought it might have just run hot and sometimes struggles after an hour of running in warm weather. But
after sitting it usually starts right up and runs fine.

This time, however, after waiting more than a week, it won't turn over. It tries to start, but even when adjusting the choke,
it won't turn over. Any clues to what this could be. I'm not a mower expert at all, but if it's a simple problem. Maybe I
could try.

Really frustrated. Was working fine, then just coughed itself off. And now won't start.

Any help would be appreciated.

JD

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with the model number of the lawnmower and also the model number of the engine so we can see what is giving your fits.

jdpeterman

Threads
Thanks.

Model Number - 13AO663F352
Serial Number - 1E11OB70112

MTD Millennium, 15 HP, 38"

Thanks so much for helping. Think I got the above right.

JD

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try dumping a small amount of gas into the carb after removing the air filter. Also when was the last time the spark plug was replaced. Sometimes spark plugs can do weird things. If it starts and dies then most likely it is a carb problem, or fuel solenoid on the carb not working.

jdpeterman

Threads
Okay. Did not want to do something dumb, so I thought I'd investigate before asking what is probably a dumb question. I removed the air filter, thought I'd clean it while off (was not too dirty), but got confused on where you wanted me to dump the small amount of gas.

Do you want me to dump it into the bottom of the plastic housing holding the air filter? Or do I have to take the entire air filter assembly off? Don't think I've ever done that.

Had to get back to work so won't get the chance to do something more till probably tomorrow. Thanks so much for helping me.

JD

PS - I did think about the spark plug, but thought because of the way it stopped. One cough, then it just stopped. Thought if it was spark plug I would had a sputter, then stop. Something to try next, though. Spark plug is a couple years old.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes the gas goes into the hole under the air filter that attaches to the carb. Basically we are bypassing the carb to see if you are having fuel delivery issues. Clogged carb jets, or fuel solenoid will prevent starting so the added fuel is a quick check to determine if you have a carb problem. If it doesn't start then that leads to checking for spark or other engine issues.

jdpeterman

Threads
Did what you said. Not sure if I did it right. Guess I had been cranking so much, the battery went down, so I had to test it while jumping from car. It did, however, start for thirty seconds or so. I'm guessing that means its not spark plug. Not sure beyond that. Does that mean it's not selanoid either?

Not being anywhere near good at this. You had said before about clogged carb jets. Is that what's next to check. I have cleaned out the fuel lines before and the carb bowl, jets. Unsure if I completely recall how I did that.

Thanks so much for helping me.

JD

Richie F

Threads
No fuel, no start.
You have spark.
Sorry but by your comments you really don't understand mechanical things.
Find a person by you that can help.

jdpeterman

Threads
Ritchie. You are absolutely right. I don't understand mechanical things. Am trying to learn. Was never taught. Was just trying to see if I could fix this without taking it to a shop. Not making much right now with work in world situ.

I cleaned out the carb jets and fuel lines, sprayed with carb fluid. This had worked before. Battery was still down, so jumped with car. Spun but did not start.

I know you said it's not spark oriented, but thought I'd take out spark plug. It looked fine. One last thing, ... should I go out and buy a new spark plug (don't have one of that size) and try that. Or is that just not going to work, as you've noted.

Thanks for your patience. As noted, I know I'm not good at this.

JD

wrldtvlr

Threads
It's kind of a classic approach - when you don't know what's wrong, replace the cheapest parts first and hope for the best. Bit like people who change the transmission fluid when the car stops shifting properly. Unfortunately that usually isn't very successful.

It's not a problem to learn troubleshooting, but you really need to work logically, not randomly. If the plug is worn, replace it, but don't expect it to fix your problem. You know your engine runs when it has fuel, so you don't have an electrical problem. That's helpful. Work back from the carb. Are you seeing fuel flow to the carb? If not, is the fuel filter blocked? Is there fuel in the tank?