MTD Tractor Stopped While Mowing, Now Won't Start

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Looks as though you should be able to remove it with a 1/2" or 13mm wrench.. has two flats on it.
If you have a voltmeter, i would check that you're getting voltage to the solenoid.

jdpeterman

Threads
I removed it before I started work. Don't have a voltmeter. Removed the wires before taking it off. The plunger was stuck. I pounded it back to even with the housing, then put it back on. Haven't tried to start it yet. Was waiting for it to dry. It's a bit wet here, and I have to jump start it with car, so I'll wait till weather dries. Couple quick questions.

Should I try to start it without reattaching the wires? Or is that something I shouldn't do? Was thinking, although I might be completely wrong about this, that if it worked that way, I could just replace the solenoid with a threaded bolt the same size and go without one. Of course, that may not be possible.

If I don't try that, should I just try starting it with wires attached, but the plunger stuck in the open position for now. I didn't try to loosen the plunger, so I'm not sure if that's possible. But if it would stay open, ... maybe that would work.

Thanks so much for helping. Sorry if some of the above is just plain trying to think through.

JD

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Some people do replace the hole with a bolt, just be sure it isn't too long...
if you try to start with the wires unplugged, it will not work because there is no power to the solenoid to retract it from the passage.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
New solenoid part number is
Tecumseh 611221
I've found them on jacks for $40 and parts tree for $65... median price seems to be $50. of course, all it takes is snipping the plunger off even with the threads and ta dah.. but it would be nice to know if there is power going to the solenoid...
611221.jpg

jdpeterman

Threads
Thanks so much. I think I've confused myself a little. Thanks for your patience. If I replace it with a bolt, then I won't have the wires connected to anything. How would that work? Or am I thinking of that wrong.

Right now the plunger is so stuck, I'm not sure it will retract even with power. That's just a pure guess though.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
On most solenoids (mainly the Kohler's i see) you can push the plunger in freely and it springs back out by itself.
It's fine if the wires don't go to anything... usually i just wrap the connectors up in electrical tape, and fold them up out of the way.

jdpeterman

Threads
Got the chance to check it out. It worked. I did what you said, pushed the plunger, which was still stuck, back, flush to the housing, then reattached the solenoid without the wires connected. I had disconnected the wires and wrapped them up, then pushed them out of the way. It started up, and I mowed for an hour. Then stopped, waited an hour or so, then started again. It started right up again and mowed for an hour more. Not sure if it's a permanent solution, but it's working. Thanks!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Thanks so much for your help, and everyone's help, and your patience with someone who doesn't know much. I know that can be frustrating.

All the best. Thanks again.

JD

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only real problem is that you might hear a bang from the muffler when the engine shuts down.
If not, don't worry about it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The only real problem is that you might hear a bang from the muffler when the engine shuts down.
If not, don't worry about it.
Just adds a little excitement :ROFLMAO:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It freaks my dog out!