MTD Tractor Stopped While Mowing, Now Won't Start

jdpeterman

Threads
Thanks. The plug did not look worn and as you and others have said, the engine seems to run when it gets fuel. When I cleaned out the carb bowl and jets, and pulled off the tube, it was getting fuel. Fuel was flowing from the tank, I'm assuming, through the filter, tube, to the carburetor bowl.

What I'm wondering now is whether I have a fuel solenoid attached to the carburetor. There is an electrical connection going from there, left side of carburetor bowl, to the engine. Could that have gone bad? Either way, I'm thinking it has something to do with the carburetor. Am I thinking correctly?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
here's what the solenoids usually look like, located on the bottom of the bowl.
th

Whenever you turn the key to the ON position, not start, but battery on, you should here it 'click' when the plunger retracts.

jdpeterman

Threads
Thanks. I'm thinking I do have a solenoid, but it's located on the left side of the bowl. Different looking than the above, but think it is one. I'm not sure, but should I be able to unscrew it from the bowl. It looks like it's one molded piece, but perhaps that's just due to it not being clean.

I'm not hearing a click or feeling one when I touch it. I thought I'd hear a click with the starter solenoid, if that's appropriate, although maybe I'm not understanding how they're supposed to work. The battery was drained as I was trying to start it though, so maybe that's why neither is clicking. I've had to jump start it to check things.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Just trying to think through things I don't understand.

Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What engine brand and model is it? model numbers are usually stamped into the metal cover above the spark plug area.

jdpeterman

Threads
Tecumseh 15 HP, Eduro XL/C

Model - OHV 155 204508F

Don't know if this would be helpful, but I'm attaching a picture of the carb. Been reading about a number of things to try, but don't want to do something too dumb without someone more expert than me suggesting it. As noted above, no mech experience here.

Attachments

• mowertecumsehv1.jpg
    mowertecumsehv1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 11

jdpeterman

Threads
Thanks for looking at that. I thought it was. When I cleaned it up it was more apparent. Any hints on what to do without replacing the whole carb. I've read that the solenoid is not really even needed, can be tied off, or that if it was removed, and the plunger inside is stuck, that it can be removed, or ground down. Not sure if those things are beyond me. I've seen another available at lower cost, if it must be replaced, but replacement may also be beyond me.

Thanks again. Not sure of my next move. Maybe unscrew it and take a look.

What would happen if you disconnected the wires? Would it just default to the position it's currently in, i.e. not working, if that's the problem I'm actually dealing with. Or is it just something that you should not do?

Appreciate everybody's help.

JD

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, with no power to it, it stops fuel flow.
They aren't needed... I use dykes/sidecutters and snip them off

jdpeterman

Threads
Okay, ... I'm a bit unclear about the second line. Are you saying there's a way to bypass the solenoid by disabling it? Or am I misunderstanding?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That's a way to disable it, you snip the plunger and metal rod off it that actuates when power is on to it.
It may be slightly different on this Tecumseh carb.. I'll have to look at the parts diagram