MTD Interlock switch

ccheatha

Threads
My old 1999 MTD mower's clutch/brake does not allow me to start the mower unless I depress it hard - like fully down. I traced the pedal to the interlock switch (man they could have not put it in a much more difficult place to get to). Anyway, I notice that the button on the switch has to go all the way in before it will work, versus working like when it's pushed in half-way. So I'm planning to replace the switch, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has experienced this and would be able to advise. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nope,
Replace the switch, they wear out.
Be careful buying the replacement as there are several switches that look the same but either will not plug in or will work backwards to what you need.
If you can look it up in a pars book then order that number.
Otherwise take the switch to a small mower repair shop that sells aftemarket parts.
All the aftermarket supplies carry a full range of safety switches that actually work

ccheatha

Threads
Nope,
Replace the switch, they wear out.
Be careful buying the replacement as there are several switches that look the same but either will not plug in or will work backwards to what you need.
If you can look it up in a pars book then order that number.
Otherwise take the switch to a small mower repair shop that sells aftemarket parts.
All the aftermarket supplies carry a full range of safety switches that actually work

Thanks for the reply, Bert. Sounds like you're saying it should work when the button is in halfway. All good. The part# appears to be 725-1657A. I'll order one up. Hey, thanks again for the reply.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you getthe new one fitted & it is working, cut the old one in half and look at what is inside.
They wear out, fill up with dust, corrode or just plain fall apart.
For $ 10 or there abouts, not worth trying to fix unless you are really poverty struck.

ccheatha

Threads
When you getthe new one fitted & it is working, cut the old one in half and look at what is inside.
For $ 10 or there abouts, not worth trying to fix unless you are really poverty struck.

? Good idea. I'll open it up once I get the new one. I'll report back on findings.

ccheatha

Threads

Just wanted to let you know. I've been reading (trying to find similar cases as mine) and I did find one (here: https://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1119526 ). Their case was similar to mine. My part is in the process of being shipped, but I'm afraid that I might be in the same situation as this guy. I'm thinking that the tab on the brake rod is just not depressing the interlock button in far enough. When I apply the brake and lock it, the button on the interlock switch is in only a little over half way. I'd think it would have to be in almost all the way (at least) to make contact, but maybe I'm wrong about that. At any rate, I'll be able to find out in a few days. Just FYI.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Many issues like this can be addressed with a little persuasion. Or a BFH.:laughing::laughing:

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just wanted to let you know. I've been reading (trying to find similar cases as mine) and I did find one (here: https://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1119526 ). Their case was similar to mine. My part is in the process of being shipped, but I'm afraid that I might be in the same situation as this guy. I'm thinking that the tab on the brake rod is just not depressing the interlock button in far enough. When I apply the brake and lock it, the button on the interlock switch is in only a little over half way. I'd think it would have to be in almost all the way (at least) to make contact, but maybe I'm wrong about that. At any rate, I'll be able to find out in a few days. Just FYI.

I saw a youtube video the other day where a guy welded a bolt on the last notch to make the handle tighter...
Seems he was correcting a similar problem best as I can remember.

ccheatha

Threads
Many issues like this can be addressed with a little persuasion. Or a BFH.:laughing::laughing:

LOL - you're probably right! If the new switch doesn't work, the hammer's comin! :smile:

ccheatha

Threads
I saw a youtube video the other day where a guy welded a bolt on the last notch to make the handle tighter...
Seems he was correcting a similar problem best as I can remember.

Yeah, you're talking about where the guy welded without wearing eye protection, right? His was the blade engagement (don't know if that's called the PTO switch). My issue is the brake interlock switch. I'm not sure if one has an affect on the other outside of both needing to be connected to complete the circuit. Someone on here more knowledgeable might be able to answer that. I'm tempted to turn the puppy on it's side to get a better view and such (like maybe the brake rod tab is worn and not pushing the switch in enough), but I've heard stories of people getting oil in the wrong places, etc. Some say to avoid turning it on its side where the plug is located and all. Anyway, we'll see what the new part does when it arrives.