MTD blade brake pads

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like it would be much easier and better to just buy the part from MTD.
Yes it is. I only did a few before getting in with distributor. The one shown is listed at 28.38 . I don't have a need to waste my time ordering, cutting to length an width, beveling, drilling holes with countersinks, riveting, and then installing the assembly but of course I run a shop where I can be repairing other machine instead spending a lot of time fabricating parts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can't say I have come across the ones you are talking about.
The only ones I have dealt with are the 1/4" thick pads that press on a plate on the top of the pulley or the 1/4" thick ones on the tension arm with a slave brake hooked up to it that press on the edge of the pulleys.
Probably too new for my clientelle .

As for messing around fabricating, MTD prices down here are silly plus the dealers only get a free delivery once a month and all others get a $ 75 fee added to them + a special pick fee if it is a single part order .
Too many people trying to make too much money from too small a turn over

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes I have seen those MTDs where you raise the deck to loosen the deck drive belt and to apply the brakes. Also got those side of the pulley brakes on most the Husqvarna/AYP mowers. Those I have considered doing just the brake lining on.

Yes even here some of the distributors can have ridiculous prices too. MTD distributors raised their prices on me but expect me to keep the same prices as I sale items to the customer. Some items the price difference is just pennies. If wasn't for me buying at a volume where I get free shipping I would have raise my prices above the suggested retail prices just to break even. At Husqvarna still has a decent price structure.

Here I got one company that does free shipping at $200 but charge full UPS retail rates below that. Example was one order that $190 where they hit me for $46. It ate up all the profit and then some. The same company is dragging their feet on parts delivery now blaming it on Covid 19. They claim they are so overworked by orders that they can't keep up so I am giving them a six month break on my part; otherwords, I am not ordering from them until they get their act together. I have order 1/10th of what I ordered last year from them as I have reroute a lot of my orders to other vendors that can actually deliver on time. This is actually good as I just save $97 on an after market PTO that they have listed for sale.

I am kind lucky to have two MTD distributors which I have learned to price check both before ordering. Recently I needed a spindle assembly so I just order from the closest one. Big mistake as the other had them for $20 less a piece so when I ordered my stock I ordered them from the other vendor and save $60. I do see how shipping can be a problem as I have sent one item to down under and the shipping was ridiculous but it was one those NLA items that I still had a NOS one on hand. Right now I would not ship via the USPS as they just keep losing my packages. Three of them in the last two months.

Boyde

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like it would be much easier and better to just buy the part from MTD.
Except MTD does not sell the pads separate, have to purchase the two whole brake assemblies. That would make the brake pads at a cost of $150.00 CAD.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is this it?
Fish the problem is the Canadian costs. If the op wants to buy the material I would suggest that he wears a good mask while cutting the brake materials. The PN you actually cost me $24.05 each from my distrubutor so its cost to me is reasonable vs my labor rate..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So this is where some one starts to send PMs and organizes to post some over the border

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh I had a shocker trying to send a defective USC back Canada a a few years ago. I went to ship it back to Canada when US Office wanted over $90 one way to send it. As Bert suggests on sending emails works as I contacted the vendor on the Canadian side and they sent me round trip label for $35. I could brought another unit for what the USPS wanted to send it round trip. It is same when I try to ship anything here even within the US borders. The local USPS tries to eat me alive on charges yet I have vendors shipping for little. Because the local charges I simply gave up shipping anything out.

Then of course there is the nightmare of trying to get anything delivered by USPS too. I currently got a package currently stuck in the Boca Raton, FL post office since June 4. Package received, awaiting acceptance status on the tracking. What worst is I already had three packages lost by the USPS this year. Since I depend on my deliveries I refuse to them unless there is no other option.

I also know a couple members that have their own US post box where they ship part to it and just drive across the border to pick them up but the OP may to far out to do this.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I ran across a pic of the misalignment of the brake pads I mention earlier that MTD would not correct in my files, dated 05/17/2017. The old brake assy left and the new right. The new brake assy was mounted about a 1/4" lower the previous part. As you see part of the brake assembly was broken off. I had to rework the assembly for it to fit properly.
1625482296509.jpeg