MTD blade brake pads

Boyde

Threads
Hi. My blades will not disengage. The blade brake pads are pretty worn. From MTD, can only purchase the whole brake pad assemblies. Only the pads are worn. These are only rivited to the assembly. Has anybody found a source for these pads?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also be aware that some these are riveted in the wrong position for some decks at that what I ran into several years ago. So fustrating having to rework a new part.

Boyde

Threads
Thanks for the reply. You indicated that you managed to get some, although the rivit holes were in the wrong place. Can you tell me where you acquired the pads? I can fix the holes, I need the pads. Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you have a different problem. When you disengage the deck, the blades should stop. The blades should slow down and eventually stop even if you had no brake pads.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thanks for the reply. You indicated that you managed to get some, although the rivit holes were in the wrong place. Can you tell me where you acquired the pads? I can fix the holes, I need the pads. Thanks
You misunderstood my comment as I referring the complete assemblies being setup wrong for the intended decks.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW :-
When I bought the service run I inherited a couple of lengths of tractor external brake band material
I have been cutting lumps off of it for 8 years to repair blade brake pads
Works a treat
Other than that any shop that relines clutch & brake shoes should be able to replace the friction material but because of asbestos laws it will not be cheap
You can get a normal disc brake pad & grind the steel backing off
Lots of alternativesNone of the materials will be exactly right but it is only a blade brake

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes brake lining material is available but it is not cheap a 3/4 thick piece that is 7-1/2 x 7-1/2 is 70 usd at McMasters.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only needs to be 1/4" thick for a spindle brake
Now that I am thinking, you could just grab the cheapest car disc brake pad an cut the whole thing in 1/2 the bolt the entire pad to the mower
You could probably get away with a block of hardwood now I think of it
HArdwood is what used to be used on the dummy rim brakes used on motorcycles till the 30's.
A pair fo pushbike brake blocks would probably work as well and perhaps even a push bike disc brake pad which from memory mount with a single bolt

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert these MTD uses the pulley v groove for braking so you would need thicker material if you going to match the profile.

This is what the OP and I are dealing with. Which according to the image is only 1/2" thick
part_p_985238_560722716.gif

But I prefer starting with the 3/4" stock.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like it would be much easier and better to just buy the part from MTD.