Mower no start

noquacks

Threads
Disconnect the starter motor
If you still get 6V at the output side of the solenoid the solenoid contacts are burned and it needs to be binned
If you see full battery voltage at the output side of the solenoid then most likely the solenoid is good & the starter is bad .
A starter motor that is not getting enough power to turn will squeal

OK, lets go for it- disconnecting the starter now.......

noquacks

Threads
WOW!! That didnt take long!! Starter disconnected, and I get 12V at the far end of the solenoid!!! Also, 12V at the starter main wire! I also put my ear next to the starter and the squeal is coming from there, not the solenoid!!

noquacks

Threads
So, I will remove the starter, and maybe rebuild? Buy new? Think Amazon would sell my starter (Tecumseh)?

noquacks

Threads
I have a Tecumseh OHV130 engine.
Are all tecumseh OHV130 starter motors the same? There are 2 #'s stamped at the bottom of my starter- 36914 and 38026. It has 10 teeth. Cant find any of these code #'s on Amazon.

Last edited:

shadetree#1

Threads
Look at post #31

Before you attempt to take the starter apart to check the brushes and commutator/segments and make sure the pole magnets are still secured watch some you tube videos about such. I've seen a magnet come unglued and stick to the commutator. (starter would spin/drag but still go weakly)

Them Tecumsehs starters are expensive and not easily found at a reasonable price.
With little bit of luck you might just need brushes. Check the upper bushing for any side slack before taking it apart.

noquacks

Threads
Look at post #31

Before you attempt to take the starter apart to check the brushes and commutator/segments and make sure the pole magnets are still secured watch some you tube videos about such. I've seen a magnet come unglued and stick to the commutator. (starter would spin/drag but still go weakly)

Them Tecumsehs starters are expensive and not easily found at a reasonable price.
With little bit of luck you might just need brushes. Check the upper bushing for any side slack before taking it apart.
I get it now, Shade. Will try to take apart to inspect, worst case, I know of a starter repair shop nearby! Been there before years ago. Anyway, I will get back to you guys for an update when I get it fixed!

noquacks

Threads
I get it now, Shade. Will try to take apart to inspect, worst case, I know of a starter repair shop nearby! Been there before years ago. Anyway, I will get back to you guys for an update when I get it
Look at post #31

Yup, removed the commutator, and one magnet of the 4 is completely unglued. Think that was the cause? that cant be good. Can it be reglued? Epoxy, like JB Weld?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never had any luck reglueing them
From memory they are a silicon based adheasive ( Sikaflex) not an epoxy based one as epoxies do not adhear particularly well to steel, despite what is on the JB weld tube .
If you replace it make sure you get a high power 4 pole ( 4 magnet ) starter .
Just about all of the cheap imports on Scamazon / Evilpay are actually low power 2 magnet starters that are made longer so they look like they are bigger & better which they are not

noquacks

Threads
Never had any luck reglueing them
From memory they are a silicon based adheasive ( Sikaflex) not an epoxy based one as epoxies do not adhear particularly well to steel, despite what is on the JB weld tube .
If you replace it make sure you get a high power 4 pole ( 4 magnet ) starter .
Just about all of the cheap imports on Scamazon / Evilpay are actually low power 2 magnet starters that are made longer so they look like they are bigger & better which they are not

Wow, more god info, I never knew. Thanks Bert . So, where you buy a new starter for my model Tecumseh? You guys must have good sources that the average DIY is not familiar with. I posted my model # starter above, if that would be useful. Post 54. After all this work, so many posts, so many days of helpful fellow members' support, we gotta get this mower running again, right?? Someone had to have my starter somewhere. I will try to avoid amazon on your advice. besides, cant find one that matches my #. A new mower costs quite a bit these days.........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very few large starter motor Tecumseh engines in Oz
For what I can not get from one of my wholesalers I go to an auto electrician who I have found has a good supplier although being an older gent he regularly fixes them.
So one of the USA members will need to come to the batters plate for you .