Model YTH 18542 Mandrel Assembly

platefire

Threads
I've had this riding mower since 2019 and after this much use I'm anticipating replacing them even
though at this point they seem to be doing ok. From past experiences I never get more than five years
out of a Mandrel assembly. So on my last sears mower I replaced those mandrels with ones that had
grease fittings which worked real well. But---now I see from doing internet searches, all the mandrel
assemblies available for my mower are grease-less?

Could somebody please explain how these new mandrels work without grease? and is it a waste to
look for an assembly with grease fittings these days? Thanks Bob

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The mandrels use sealed bearings. And the truth is your greasable mandrels also had sealed bearings, and the grease fitting is a feel good attempt for people that want to grease their bearing even though for the most part the grease never enters the bearing.

platefire

Threads
Thanks! Guess there is no use force feeding grease to a sealed bearing
when he don't want it:>)

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks! Guess there is no use force feeding grease to a sealed bearing
when he don't want it:>)
Some people on internet claim the grease still gets into bearings despite being sealed. I know in some cases it takes up to 150 pumps on these spindles before grease comes out to let you know it is full. Others claim at a minimum it helps keep moisture out. It has bothered me for a long time, and wish I could get a definitive answer.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What happens when you try to force grease into the sealed bearing is a lot of the time the inner seals are pushed into the bearing and the outer seal can actually get pushed out. The bearings has to be change to ZZ bearings from the the 2RS bearings as the ZZ will allow grease to enter and exit the bearings while still retaining most of the grease.

Also both the greaseable and non-grease spindle are the same retail price and cost.
1715939787687.png

I also see no reason to change the spindle housing when just the bearing are needing replacing; unless, you try removing the spindles to change out the bearing which leads to broken mounting screws.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep I use ZZ in place of RS and grease.

tgzzzz

Threads
Couple of thoughts: Somewhere in Timken literature, the term used was "shield." This makes more sense than "seal" when grease/water/dirt can get around whatever is covering the bearing retainer.

I read Bert's post #7, just above, as the ZZ actually is a sealed bearing, as in nothing gets in or out ... ergo sealed.

However, we all just read Star Tech, post #6: "The bearings has to be change to ZZ bearings from the the 2RS bearings as the ZZ will allow grease to enter and exit the bearings while still retaining most of the grease." I read that as not "sealed."

123Bearing Co. calls the ZZs: "... 2 sheet metal deflectors, for dust-tightness. ..."

Are there no actually grease and water tight bearings available? ZZs cost more but is the difference meaningful?

platefire

Threads
It appears that this subject is really subjective. I got started on these off brand Mandrels with grease fittings when my old Sears 2000 42" cut when the originals went out. The replacements had a vertical grease fitting in the top of
the shaft and was vertical that made them almost impossible to access with a grease gun, so I had to buy
some 90 degree L fittings and they worked fine. I really don't know it the replacement mandrels had sealed or grease-able bearings? All I know is the Mandrels worked fine for the rest of the life of the mower until the deck
completely disintegrated after several welded patches.

So you all are causing me to think about it a lot more. I guess I always thought the bearing were all grease-able and never could understand why then didn't install grease fittings--thinking they wanted them to wear out faster so you would have to replace them quicker:>) I have to admit, plugging them with grease did give a warm and fuzzy thinking I was being wise. I've really been surprised that these in the Husqvarna has held up this long because
I have a lot of tree-roots above ground that causes me to lift and lower the deck constantly and sometimes I'm
not fast enough and really nail them. So for no grease in 5 years and still ticking isn't bad. So I'm going to see how
long they hold out. Thanks for the information, so now I know I have a choice and can refer back to this info you've
provided when it comes time. :sneaky:(y)

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
No grease fitting for a sealed bearing doesn't concern me , but I am concerned if at least 1 of the 2 bearings is not a push ( with my finger ) fit .