Buying Advice Maybe buying a new Gravely "pro turn 48"

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I made the splurge and got the Gravely Pro-Turn 52. This all started last year when I was trying to decide between the Exmark Quest and Gravely XL 48. Somehow, I ended up making several upgrades to the Pro-Turn. Funny how that works. Mine will be delivered next Friday. Just in time for mowing season to actually start here.

Wow.......I just noticed in my last reply that I "thought" that I was congratulating user Rustyboy on pulling the trigger on his 48" Pro-Turn, but I was actually replying to your last post:0)

From time to time I get a little heat from other forum users for having "tunnel vision" recommendations for Gravely's but both of you guys are fixing to find out why!!! I have a clear conscience recommending the Gravely and don't really consider myself biased just because I own one(I also recommend Cub Cadet Z-Force, Toro Titans & Z-Masters, Husqvarnas, Dixons and Dixie Choppers which I consider all very good machines). Gravely, and their parent company Ariens have both had impeccable reputations for quality equipment and I think you both are going to find that your Pro-Turns exceed your expectations. Enjoy your new yard toys, take good care of them and expect many years of reliable service.

Welcome to the growing Gravely family on this forum and please post some pictures when you get them home!!!! I hope that the information I provided helped you in making a very difficult high dollar investment decision(there are a LOT of good ZTR's on the market), because I like the feeling I get when I know another person is going to be as pleased with their ZTR purchase as I am!!!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
P.S.
The more I look at my replies....the more confused I get:0(

When I look at the reply above this one it looks to me like user Rustyboy bought the Pro=Turn 52!!!!

It appears that they made some changes to the forum software since last Fall when I was last active on the forum that makes it difficult to see exactly whose quote you responded to. I know for a fact I responded to user Justwookin's post where he announced his purchase of the Pro-Turn 52, but when you look at my reply....user Rustyboy is in the "quote's blue area" making it appear as though I responded to him.

Or is it just me???????? What do others think about how the "Reply To Quote" looks in my last posts???? If I get an amen that it is confusing, I will contact one of the forum administrators like users Ric or Lawn Mower Fanatic and ask them to look into it!!! Thanks!!

Threads
P.S.
The more I look at my replies....the more confused I get:0(

When I look at the reply above this one it looks to me like user Rustyboy bought the Pro=Turn 52!!!!

It appears that they made some changes to the forum software since last Fall when I was last active on the forum that makes it difficult to see exactly whose quote you responded to. I know for a fact I responded to user Justwookin's post where he announced his purchase of the Pro-Turn 52, but when you look at my reply....user Rustyboy is in the "quote's blue area" making it appear as though I responded to him.

Or is it just me???????? What do others think about how the "Reply To Quote" looks in my last posts???? If I get an amen that it is confusing, I will contact one of the forum administrators like users Ric or Lawn Mower Fanatic and ask them to look into it!!! Thanks!!

I agree, it does look confusing. But that's because back in post #31 the user forgot to put in a bracket to end the quote, so after that things got a little messed up. But it's no big deal. The forum software didn't change. :smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree, it does look confusing. But that's because back in post #31 the user forgot to put in a bracket to end the quote, so after that things got a little messed up. But it's no big deal. The forum software didn't change. :smile:

Hey lmf, good to hear from ya!!! I see you've still got your hand on the pulse of the forum:0)

Thanks....I kinda figured it was "thread-specific", cause I've replied to some other threads and it didn't do what it was doing on this one. I haven't had much time since last Fall to be on the forum. With retiring in October and then my wife retiring end of January it's been kinda hectic getting all the retirement financial planning ducks in a row. Hope all is well with you. Things are great here in middle TN. Aside from a lot of traveling plans and a LOT of fishing with the wife(I was truly blessed with a wife that loves to fish more than I do......she MADE me buy a boat:0) I'll try to become active in the forum again and continue to give feedback on my 2012 Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ 152. Got the Gravely mulch kit installed(luvin it) and then the Gravely Hex Striper kit end of the season last year. I'll be posting some results and critiquing whether the striper kit was worth the investment. Again, thanks for the sanity check on this thread's quotes!!

RustyBoy

Threads

Hey guys,
Rusty Boy here and I did buy the entry level 48" Pro-Turn. Very happy with it. Since this is my first rider, wasn't sure what speed I should be using. I assumed that once the engine was running, the blades were turning at max speed, regardless of the engine throttle speed selected. I thought this because I wrongly thought that the engine speed adjustment was only for the MPH speed and not blade speed. I mowed my lawn at the lowest throttle engine speed and everything cut fine. Now, I was told that I should be cutting at a higher engine speed to increase blade speed. Question: If this is the case, then should I always be using max engine speed to get max blade speed when I mow??? Wouldn't this max engine speed increase engine wear versus using a lower speed??? Maybe adjust engine speed to somewhere in between, like mid point in the throttle???

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys,
Rusty Boy here and I did buy the entry level 48" Pro-Turn. Very happy with it. Since this is my first rider, wasn't sure what speed I should be using. I assumed that once the engine was running, the blades were turning at max speed, regardless of the engine throttle speed selected. I thought this because I wrongly thought that the engine speed adjustment was only for the MPH speed and not blade speed. I mowed my lawn at the lowest throttle engine speed and everything cut fine. Now, I was told that I should be cutting at a higher engine speed to increase blade speed. Question: If this is the case, then should I always be using max engine speed to get max blade speed when I mow??? Wouldn't this max engine speed increase engine wear versus using a lower speed??? Maybe adjust engine speed to somewhere in between, like mid point in the throttle???

Rustyboy,

You should ALWAYS mow with the engine at full throttle(even though it seemed to do alright at less). The maximum engine rpm is factory set to attain the proper blade tip speed for optimum results. Your Gravely or Kawasaki manuals should have instructions similar to mine like:
1)If engine is cold set Choke to full. If engine is warm from running, the Choke will not be necessary.
2)Set throttle to approx. half and start engine. Turn off Choke, if used, after engine starts.
3)Allow engine to run at half-throttle for 3-5 mins. to allow engine oil to get fully circulated before applying a load to engine.
4)Set engine at approx. 3/4 throttle and then engage blade PTO.
5)Move throttle to full speed before beginning to mow.
6)To disengage blades, reduce engine throttle to approx. 3/4 throttle and then disengage PTO(this helps prevent too much strain when engaging/disengaging blades).
7)Before stopping engine set throttle at lowest speed for approx. 2 mins.(this prevents backfires, etc.).

The forward/reverse movement speeds that you attain with the ZTR are relative to how much you move the control arms forward or backward.....they are NOT controlled by the engine speed. And actually, just the opposite....you are more likely to cause premature wear and damage to the engine by mowing the grass with it not at full throttle. Have you posted pics of your new Gravely???? We wanna see it!!! Enjoy!!!!!

RustyBoy

Threads
Ok, I get the message - follow the owner's manual and don't assume as I did. Actually I did read the manual before using the mower but wrongly assumed about the position of the throttle, thinking I was doing some good with the lowest throttle position. The dealer mentioned to start engine at half throttle, and also engage the PTO switch at half throttle to lessen the stress when engaging the blades. There must be a reason for Gravely to recommend 3/4 throttle for starting and engaging the PTO switch so that is exactly what I'll be doing.

As I'm typing, I'm reading the Kawasaki manual and they say to start at half throttle position. What's confusing is that the manual further states that after starting, to move the throttle lever to halfway between fast and slow - isn't that the same as half throttle????? So should I follow Kawasaki or Gravely's manual?????

I'll get a picture tomorrow if it doesn't rain as I plan on mowing.

RustyBoy

Threads
Ok, here is the picture. Waiting for the grass to dry from the morning dew before mowing.

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 19

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, here is the picture. Waiting for the grass to dry from the morning dew before mowing.

That's a beauty(the Gravely)!!! And a VERY nice looking lawn as well. That Pro-Turn's gonna make your yard look like a green carpet. On the throttle, your dealer gave you good advice. It is appropriate to start at half to three fourths throttle(I too get confused because the owner's manual and engine manual sometime state different things). And for engaging/disengaging the blades the same is true that half to three fourths is an appropriate range. On the manual conflicts, my opinion has always been to follow the instructions in the engine manufacturer's manual if it has something different than the owner manual from the ZTR manufacturer for anything related to the "engine operation/maintenance". Everything else on the ZTR(like the trannies, deck, etc.), the owner's manual should be followed. Don't be too hard on yourself. You're doing just fine as a first-time ZTR/rider owner!!! We all have a lot to learn about these ZTR machines when we get one(this is my first ZTR...I did have two lawn tractors previously). That's why I like this forum......I've picked up a lot of good information here from a lot of other users that share their experience and knowledge. Feel free to ask any other questions that come up, share your ownership experience with us and keep us posted on how your journey progresses on that shiny new Gravely:0)