Massive, massive, paint analysis, no expense spared.

choatecav

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Massive, massive, paint analysis, no expense spared.
Rustoleum, hands down.

Ranchito

Threads
The family, Wife, Me and two cats, had to go without pizza one night just to fund this large-scale research project. Now, you be the judge. On one hand we have eXmark paint part number 1-850337 Lazar Red, 12 oz can for $33.88 plus tax. On the other hand we have a can of Rust-Oleum in Regal Red, 15 Oz can for $ 10.99 plus tax. For the drill down investigators, the Original paint was $2.82 cents an oz; the Rust-Oleum was $.73 an oz. However, let's assume that cost is no object. We are all independently wealthy here on this forum (except for the wife, me and two cats) so the only thing that really matters is how does it look. Photos attached, you judge. To save you some time these two samples have been laid on the cutting deck, which is still in original condition and paint color, (as it should be since it's only been used once and was washed after that use).

Sorry about picture orientation. The first three are rotated clockwise 90 degrees, so look at them as if you are standing on the left side of those. If it says left side that would be top and right side would be bottom. The fourth is correctly oriented. If we had a bigger budget I would have fixed this rotation thing.
You can afford pizza? You must be wealthy. Tried the same on my Mahindra tractor, but used Sunrise Red which was a perfect match on the paint that had not yet faded. A quart can is used for spraying with mineral spirits for a reducer. This seems to work best in my hot sub-tropical climate and is a cheap alternative to more expensive reducers. I'm thinking that my paint supplier can whip up a quart of base coat if I get the urge to do a 2000K repaint in the future. Tractor Supply has a yellow that is a perfect match for IH Cub Cadet yellow, and the Rustoleum semigloss black is a good match for the black frame pieces. I expect that some will say "it's only a tractor, or mower" but I have plenty of free time and like to make my old equipment last.

red423

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rather than pizza or paint, could have got a bottle of Bourbon. After 4-5 shots, no one would care what the color was
You hit that right on the head.

Roll

Threads
Rather than pizza or paint, could have got a bottle of Bourbon. After 4-5 shots, no one would care what the color was
Oh for the old days... Cindy and I out drinking, dancing, flirting, with all our friends. Boy those were fun days. Then it became too much drinking and there were the kids. I decided for me, I could not continue. Didn't want the kids to remember me as drunk (a lot of the time). So I gave it up at 40 years old. That was 33 years ago. Hard thing to do but I always have been stubborn. Interestingly, my career took off shortly after. Funny how that happens. Now I doubt any of our 4 children remember I tucked them into bed at night smelling like a brewery. And our 11 grandchildren will never know. Thanks Marine for bringing back some really fun times. Thanks for your service and also to Dan and Jim, two of my wife's brothers who died in the last year. Both Vietnam vets, Jim a sailor in the brown water navy (river boat in Vietnam was dangerous work) and the other, Dan, a Marine stationed in Saigon and one who helped people board the helicopters when the embassy was evacuated in 1975. And finally, our youngest son who is an Afghanistan vet. He came home without physical wounds but not without damage. He is doing fine now, after battling the demons in his head for 8 years.

Roll

Threads
You can afford pizza? You must be wealthy. Tried the same on my Mahindra tractor, but used Sunrise Red which was a perfect match on the paint that had not yet faded. A quart can is used for spraying with mineral spirits for a reducer. This seems to work best in my hot sub-tropical climate and is a cheap alternative to more expensive reducers. I'm thinking that my paint supplier can whip up a quart of base coat if I get the urge to do a 2000K repaint in the future. Tractor Supply has a yellow that is a perfect match for IH Cub Cadet yellow, and the Rustoleum semigloss black is a good match for the black frame pieces. I expect that some will say "it's only a tractor, or mower" but I have plenty of free time and like to make my old equipment last.
Nope. No wealth here LOL. If only... ;-) I like to keep my equipment running too. Nothing more interesting and fun than working on the old 1973 Kubota in the garage. I never lived on a farm but I have learned that tractors just don't wear out. Built like a tank and parts available, you just keep fixing them until you die and then someone else takes over the job of keeping the tractor in running order. ;-)

grumpyunk

Threads
If you have them local, Tractor Supply(menards?) sells 'tractor paint' in gallon size cans. Perhaps in quarts too, but either way the cost per oz is relatively low compared to body shop paint and the 'rattle can' paint.
Check IH red to see how close it is...
tom

Gord Baker

Threads
do you want some info?? should have bought the pizza and just did some checking. Ace hdwe sells a Regal Red in shaker cans that matches. If I say if you had even looked across almost all lawn equip including toro, MTD, even my three chippers and edgers they are all roughly the same color. Guess what that is. has a royal sounding name, hmmm could it be???? Maybe the same regal red is a hit in asian countries where they make this stuff by the RR car at a time? wow, all I can say is wow. Even Tractor supple sells John Deere Green, so is there going to be another pizza less night as you test again??? no, I am not being sarcastic.
Price the John Deere Green rattle can lately? Not the Space Shuttle!

TobyU

Threads
The family, Wife, Me and two cats, had to go without pizza one night just to fund this large-scale research project. Now, you be the judge. On one hand we have eXmark paint part number 1-850337 Lazar Red, 12 oz can for $33.88 plus tax. On the other hand we have a can of Rust-Oleum in Regal Red, 15 Oz can for $ 10.99 plus tax. For the drill down investigators, the Original paint was $2.82 cents an oz; the Rust-Oleum was $.73 an oz. However, let's assume that cost is no object. We are all independently wealthy here on this forum (except for the wife, me and two cats) so the only thing that really matters is how does it look. Photos attached, you judge. To save you some time these two samples have been laid on the cutting deck, which is still in original condition and paint color, (as it should be since it's only been used once and was washed after that use).

Sorry about picture orientation. The first three are rotated clockwise 90 degrees, so look at them as if you are standing on the left side of those. If it says left side that would be top and right side would be bottom. The fourth is correctly oriented. If we had a bigger budget I would have fixed this rotation thing.
The main problem I see is that the Rust-Oleum is 10.99 per can.
Completely unacceptable!!!
Their prices started soaring a number of months back and I will probably never buy their paint again.
Remember for the past couple of decades their prices had remained good and they had kind of taken over the spray paint business and they had those bonus size in black and white which were even a better deal and weren't priced any higher.
Then, all of a sudden because of covid, and because they just could they cranked the prices out the roof.
If you do search around though I just recently found some for 6.88 but of course that price could have changed in the past week.
Most places it's at least 8.49 or more and I don't think I'll be using much spray paint in the future at least not that brand.
These companies can think all they want and their results will surely vary from my intent because people are far too easy going with price increases but when they price something above a certain threshold or a percentage increase in a short period of time they lose with me! I will simply not buy their product or do without.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think one of main problems out there is now costs are out of control. I am seeing prices that are more double on some parts than just two years ago. Really make it hard to just keeping repairing things reasonably.

A lot of greed is involved too.

Mattmotors

Threads
I have my fathers 1977 Ariens snowblower. The paint has held out rather well for its age. Minimal rust. I went to Tractor and got a can of Kubota orange. I lathered up the scoop, impeller and chute with the paint and a brush. Took a little while to dry, But it dried hard. No snow will stick to it. Was not critical to match the original Airens orange but it looks pretty good. I shake my head when I see newer snowblowers that are total rust buckets. I guess you can see where MTD has done cost savings. I'm sure other manufactures have cheapened out on their choice of paint.