Massive, massive, paint analysis, no expense spared.

Roll

Threads
  • / Massive, massive, paint analysis, no expense spared.
The family, Wife, Me and two cats, had to go without pizza one night just to fund this large-scale research project. Now, you be the judge. On one hand we have eXmark paint part number 1-850337 Lazar Red, 12 oz can for $33.88 plus tax. On the other hand we have a can of Rust-Oleum in Regal Red, 15 Oz can for $ 10.99 plus tax. For the drill down investigators, the Original paint was $2.82 cents an oz; the Rust-Oleum was $.73 an oz. However, let's assume that cost is no object. We are all independently wealthy here on this forum (except for the wife, me and two cats) so the only thing that really matters is how does it look. Photos attached, you judge. To save you some time these two samples have been laid on the cutting deck, which is still in original condition and paint color, (as it should be since it's only been used once and was washed after that use).

Sorry about picture orientation. The first three are rotated clockwise 90 degrees, so look at them as if you are standing on the left side of those. If it says left side that would be top and right side would be bottom. The fourth is correctly oriented. If we had a bigger budget I would have fixed this rotation thing.

Attachments

• OE paint.jpg
    OE paint.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Rust left OE right 1.jpg
    Rust left OE right 1.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Rust oleum.jpg
    Rust oleum.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Rust on L OE on R.jpg
    Rust on L OE on R.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 110

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like it !! Nice job ..

Roll

Threads
Seriously, I agree. I think the OE paint is a little too orangish. Neither is perfect but the Regal Red is close enough to make anyone look hard to determine if it's been touched up. As a bonus, the Rust-Oleum is much cheaper.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plus there will not be a prefect match as the original paint as aged so without feathering it will still be noticeable to the trained eye.

Roll

Threads
Plus there will not be a prefect match as the original paint as aged so without feathering it will still be noticeable to the trained eye.
Not aged much, the mower was built in 2022 or late 2021 and it's only been used to mow one time.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the red better..

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why are you questioning this, it's only a lawn mower. I would say take it to a body shop and have a professional paint it, sand it, at the least three times, then buff it. Will look better than new. I have found out with years of use on my old Wheel horse that the Rust-Oleum will last better then oem paint. The Wheelhorse only gets use with a snowblower in salty snow.

red423

Forum Newbie
Threads
do you want some info?? should have bought the pizza and just did some checking. Ace hdwe sells a Regal Red in shaker cans that matches. If I say if you had even looked across almost all lawn equip including toro, MTD, even my three chippers and edgers they are all roughly the same color. Guess what that is. has a royal sounding name, hmmm could it be???? Maybe the same regal red is a hit in asian countries where they make this stuff by the RR car at a time? wow, all I can say is wow. Even Tractor supple sells John Deere Green, so is there going to be another pizza less night as you test again??? no, I am not being sarcastic.