Magneto ground wire

navydad2022

Threads
Yes
the ground wire is open circuit to run & closed circuit to stop
So you have to trace the wire back to find the faulty switch or short to ground
I find it easiest to clamp one lead of a test lamp to the battery + then probe to find a ground which of course illuminates the test lamp
What am looking for this riding mower stuff l'm learning as l go .For light not to come on or not.sorry

navydad2022

Threads
My son bought me this awhile back while being deployed and got hurt, so this mower means a lot to me, just hurts me that l can't figure it out .Thank for your advice

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Open circuit = no light
Closed circuit = light
You should be able to get a wiring diagram from the website .

Freddie21

Threads
Disconnect the mag wire, then jump a wire from the battery pos to the starter either at the starter or its connection on the solenoid. If it spins then, with the engine off, jump the battery pos to the small connection on the solenoid. May be a orange wire. If this works then there's a problem upstream with a safety or ign switch. If it doesn't kick the solenoid, the remove it and clean both the block and solenoid to get it a good ground.

What may be grounding the mag could also be stopping the solenoid from being energized. A safety or ign switch or pinched wire. If the starter has been replaced, remove it and check for any wires running behind it that may be pinched (common on Briggs).

dinkster

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have seen some Mag. have a diode in the wiring if it goes bad you will have this problem. I am referring to the wire that you are disconnecting.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That kill wire is grounding out, on something......... If you disconnect it, engine will drain the fuel tank right?

If you can't find it, replace it all.

navydad2022

Threads
Disconnect the mag wire, then jump a wire from the battery pos to the starter either at the starter or its connection on the solenoid. If it spins then, with the engine off, jump the battery pos to the small connection on the solenoid. May be a orange wire. If this works then there's a problem upstream with a safety or ign switch. If it doesn't kick the solenoid, the remove it and clean both the block and solenoid to get it a good ground.

What may be grounding the mag could also be stopping the solenoid from being energized. A safety or ign switch or pinched wire. If the starter has been replaced, remove it and check for any wires running behind it that may be pinched (common on Briggs).
Thank you,🤞

navydad2022

Threads
Yes
the ground wire is open circuit to run & closed circuit to stop
So you have to trace the wire back to find the faulty switch or short to ground
I find it easiest to clamp one lead of a test lamp to the battery + then probe to find a ground which of course illuminates the test lamp
I got a test lamp,if l probe the ground wire connections should it light up to suspect a faulty ground.one end to post on battery and probe the ground connections.

navydad2022

Threads
I disconnected the magneto ground wire and my mower started,l have a snapper riding mower and was trying to figure out what the problem is.once l connect wire back and it won't start.
Sorry for not getting back with you all,l had a sister pass away and my mind wasn't on the Snapper 😢