Made stupid mistake! What would my solution be to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satman858

Threads
  • / Made stupid mistake! What would my solution be to do now?
Actually I probably KNOW more about engine oils than 75% of the forum members all added tgether
20W 50 is a 20 weight oil at room temperature which thins down to the equivalent of a strait 50 wt oil at operating temperature which is around 100C depending upon which set of standards you are using
Thus at room temperature the 30 is thicker and at operating temperature the 30 is thinner.

Now if you had a quality mower with an Eatons transmission which uses hydro oil your silly mistake would be a problem that requires one if not 2 or 3 oil changes as hydraulic oils & engine oils do not mix and may form an emulsion which is not good.
You gat a perfectly sound answer then came back demanding more
So you got more
As your seem to begging for some sort of punishment then the self inflicted punishment of some orders of monks to cleanse their souls would appear to be appropriate
Oh and engine oils go up to SAE 90.
Harley oil is SAE 75W 90 for the older bikes
BP still make ther monogrades 10 centipoise incriments from SAE 10 up to SAE 90 usually labled "Coarse XY" . They used to have a coarse 100 & coarse 120 but I have not seen that for 15 ish years
I use Coarse 50 & Coarse 90 it in some of my veteran total loss engines
Hence the supposedly humourous 20.05W 49.05 allowing for the dilution factor .

And I do not pretend to be holier than the Pope.
If I was a pervert then I would have suggested you make a video of you doing it .
First of the Pope is not holy at all. He as all Pope's that claim to be a Vica of Christ only serves him to be as the Bible says an anti-christ. Don't get into a Bible debate with me that you can never win.

By the way, check this chart out below as Sae30HD is even thicker than all these on the list.

Attachments

• oil thickness chart.jpg
    oil thickness chart.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 19

satman858

Threads
Correct. Multiple viscosity oil are design to act as lighter oil at cold temps and like thicker oils are higher temps. All oils thin as they are heated. Multi viscosity just make the oil flow more freely at lower temps. A single grade just get thicker at lower temp and thinner at higher temp.

And I recently brought some SAE140 by mistake when I was needing SAE85-140 multi viscosity gear oil. I had to exchange it for the correct blend.
Star Tech,
I was hoping I would pull you out and have you chime in, by suckering in some of these knucklehead know-it-all trolls that like degrading a person when they think that know more than people. I have been a member of this forum for almost 10 years, so I know much more than they think I do. The only reason I asked this question was because I was possibly thinking that I just might go ahead and change the cheap 20 buck Ariens Hydro filter and re-purge the Hydraulic system since I already have a 5 gallon jug of Mobil15W50 synthetic oil. You know from other threads that I have done this process a number of times in having Hydraulic hoses blow out over the years. Thank you my friend, as I am going right now and change out the filter and oil for safety sake. Here in south Louisiana we have 100 degree temperatures with 90+ humidity every summer. It was Hell hot and 87 degrees just the other day. LOL

Here below from a year agoo is just one thread in which you were a helped me with your no nonsense feedback.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of the Pope is not holy at all. He as all Pope's that claim to be a Vica of Christ only serves him to be as the Bible says an anti-christ. Don't get into a Bible debate with me that you can never win.

By the way, check this chart out below as Sae30HD is even thicker than all these on the list.
I have no idea where you got that chart from but oil is a liquid
Being a liquid is has NO SPECIFIC DENSITY because all liquids expand with increasing temperatures
the viscosity index is nothing more than the amount of time it takes for a specified volume of oil to drain through a specified size funnel . or the volume of oil that passes through the funnel in a fixed period of time depending upon which set of standards you are working with .
Nominally this is done at 20 or 25 degress C ( again depending upon which standard you are using )
So 30 is 30 at room temperature
30 W ( anything ) is also 30 at room temperature
How fast they pass through the funnel is not directly proportional to the thichness it is a function of the viscious friction of the liquid and the adheasive / cohesives forces of the molecules plus the surface tension
The numbers have no real direct comparrison to the function of the oil in srvice they are used to compare one oil to another oil and to gie the machine operator a rough ide which mifgr work in their application.
This is why there is such a big overlap between different grades
Cute pretty chart but without the measuring parrameters is totally useless .
And all of the oils listed are multigrades so if SAE30 is on the chart you have failed to post that section.
And with this I shall pop you onto the IGNORE list as it is obvious you are a hero worshiper and the only out come you would accept was to have your hero ( Startech ) answer your questions. And if you read his reply objectively you will see it is exactlythe same as what you were already told .
Good luck

CaptFerd

Threads
Manufactures use multi weight oils to accommodate the various climates of the world the sell theirs machines. They will also brand that oil, put dye in it and sell it for a ridiculous price and threaten your warranty if not used. My personal mower requires the same as yours. Ive been running SAE 30 in the tranny and it performs better than the recommended 20 / 50 oil. The manufacturers arent always right or honest. Their in the business of profit. If you drain it and waste whats in it then you are stupid like you say. SloMo was right do as he says.

mdupre07

Threads
I work for a Gravely dealer and we recommend 15w50 full synthetic motor oil in the hydros. No blends. Here in the deep south, climate has a lot to do with the weights. If you look in a typical owners manual, it may say different, as the manual was written for where it was manufactured - up north. Hope this helps.

dutch1134

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

Feel free to call me stupid because I know better. But when I took out my Gravely Promaster 44Z for the season I did a Engine oil and filter change. I mistakenly started put the SAEHD30 motor oil in to the Hydraulic intake and not the oil intake before I realized what a stupid mistake I was making. I only put about 4 oz but any oil that thick should not be good. My Hydraulic takes 20w/50w synthetic motor oil, but the SAE30HD is a much thicker oil. I know from reading the manual that not all of the fluid comes completely out of the system when bleeding, but I ordered a New Hydraulic oil filter and plan on bleeding the system and refilling it with the 20w/50w synthetic motor oil, but am not sure if that is the answer as to what all I need to do.

Any and all help is deeply appreciated.
I would imagine that is a somewhat common mistake. Personally, I believe your plan of action would probably be acceptable. I once put hydraulic oil in my hydro reservoir. I finally read the manual much later after destroying the seals. NOW, THAT was stupid.

satman858

Threads
I have no idea where you got that chart from but oil is a liquid
Being a liquid is has NO SPECIFIC DENSITY because all liquids expand with increasing temperatures
the viscosity index is nothing more than the amount of time it takes for a specified volume of oil to drain through a specified size funnel . or the volume of oil that passes through the funnel in a fixed period of time depending upon which set of standards you are working with .
Nominally this is done at 20 or 25 degress C ( again depending upon which standard you are using )
So 30 is 30 at room temperature
30 W ( anything ) is also 30 at room temperature
How fast they pass through the funnel is not directly proportional to the thichness it is a function of the viscious friction of the liquid and the adheasive / cohesives forces of the molecules plus the surface tension
The numbers have no real direct comparrison to the function of the oil in srvice they are used to compare one oil to another oil and to gie the machine operator a rough ide which mifgr work in their application.
This is why there is such a big overlap between different grades
Cute pretty chart but without the measuring parrameters is totally useless .
And all of the oils listed are multigrades so if SAE30 is on the chart you have failed to post that section.
And with this I shall pop you onto the IGNORE list as it is obvious you are a hero worshiper and the only out come you would accept was to have your hero ( Startech ) answer your questions. And if you read his reply objectively you will see it is exactlythe same as what you were already told .
Good luck
The problem with your replies is your know-it-all self righteous attitude and the way you explain yourself. You have some serious issues, dude! I am glad I am now on your ignore list. lol

satman858

Threads
I replaced the Hydro filter, refilled it with the Mobile 1 15w50 full synthetic motor oil I had left from my 5 quart container, and purge the system by way of the bypass valves. I cut my 2 acres of land here at home, and everything turned out great.

Thanks for all the helpful replies to my post. Moderators feel free to close the thread if you like.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Satman, your reply to Bert tells me that you just made a third mistake. You came here looking for help after you made a stupid mistake. When you don’t like the replies you received you start bad mouthing the techs who are not only try to help you, but any others who may also have done the same thing. The experienced techs on this site have probably forgotten more than you will know on how to repair small engine equipment. You are the one with serious issues and Bert deserves an apology from someone who keeps on making mistakes and doesn’t know when they are wrong. You can now add me to your ignore list and pray that you don’t make any more mistakes.

satman858

Threads
Satman, your reply to Bert tells me that you just made a third mistake. You came here looking for help after you made a stupid mistake. When you don’t like the replies you received you start bad mouthing the techs who are not only try to help you, but any others who may also have done the same thing. The experienced techs on this site have probably forgotten more than you will know on how to repair small engine equipment. You are the one with serious issues and Bert deserves an apology from someone who keeps on making mistakes and doesn’t know when they are wrong. You can now add me to your ignore list and pray that you don’t make any more mistakes.
Rivets,
I am glad you put me on your ignore list, as from this reply you have an equally unkind attitude toward people and deserve no respect. It is people like you that give forums made to help people bad names. Any mouthing I did was truly deserved for disrespecting me first. I am the one needing an apology from Bert as well as you for leaving replies like you just did. I am glad I won't be hearing back from you since I am now on your ignore list. By the way, in less than 2 months it will be 10 years since I became a member of this Lawnmower forum, so I think I well might know more about Lawnmower than you think I do.

By they way, my 17 year old 2006 Gravely Promaster 44Z is not still running good, because I don't know anything about lawnmowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.