LTX1000 Transaxle seems a bit too noisy?

LTX1000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a LT1000 17 HP that ran good for 8 years, but hit a branch that locked up the blades. From that point on it wouldn't start. The crank shaft bent and through the timing off and the governor was shot. The repair shop who was checking it out told me, it would cost more to repair than it was worth. The shop repair owner had 2002 Craftsman LTX1000 18 HP in fairly good shape, but it has been sitting up for about 2 years. He said you can have it if you don't mind pulling the engine and installing it in your mower. They were too busy to work on it and the lead time would be 9 weeks. With a little minor repairs I got it up and running. I didn't swap the motors, I just worked on completing the repairs on the LTX1000 because it was in better shape than my LT1000.

Now for the question: The Transaxle sounds a bit noisier than to the LT1000 that has already went to the scrap yard. It works great, but has a grinding sound that I thought would go away with use.
Any advice would help, Change oil?, etc. I don't want to run it until it fails when I can do something to save it.

December 15 update: I removed the Hydro Gear Transaxle and changed the oil. The oil was dark gray with a little black slime. I replace the oil with 20w 50 as stated in the manual. I found one of the two idlers pulleys was froze up. I replaced both of them. The belt still had a lot of life in it.

Now to the bad part, Today was my test day without the mower attached. I checked everything and thought it was ready to go. With fingers crossed I started the engine and released the clutch without putting it in gear. The drive belt was working along with the idler pulleys and the drive pulley on the Transaxle. I depress the clutch and put it in gear. When I released the clutch nothing happened. I checked the neutral rod making sure it was in. I checked the linkage of the of the speed lever and it was connected to the transaxle and moving as it should. Remember, it was working but noisy before I removed it. In hindsight I should have replaced the idler pulleys and then tried it before pulling the transaxle. Now I need more help in solving this problem. When I replace the oil I made sure there was no trapped air. Did I miss a step in reinstalling the unit? Is it in the linkage that I could have screw? Is there a safety switch?
As far as I know, the previous owner bypassed them. I'm stumped. Help!!!!!

Attachments

• 20221127_155848a.jpg
    20221127_155848a.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221127_161448a.jpg
    20221127_161448a.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post Model # from under seat, starts with 917. thanks, Mark

LTX1000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here it is........ 917.272420
Thanks Mark,

Attachments

• LTX1000-1.jpg
    LTX1000-1.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 0

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is the noise when you just release the brake/clutch or is it only when moving.

If moving troubleshooting.
1670306991779.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So it looks like you have a Hydro-Gear 314-0510 transmission
IF it suddenly got noisy then you have a pulley bearing or belt problem
If it was always loud & just got louder then chances are the transmission is past it's use by date
Your mower dates from 2001 to 2005 so even if it is a late model, it is near 20 years old
The 314 was not a particularly robust unit and is good for 1000 to 1500 hours
So if the brake is not dragging then the trans is sending a message of good-bye
The cheap & nasty test is to park on a hill turn the engine off and give the mower a push down the hill.
If it resists being pushed and stops the instant you stop pushing then the tranny is good
If it takes off like a frightened bunny rabbit then the unit is shot
If it slowly continues to roll down the hill then an oil ( and filter ) change to a heavier grade of oil may add a few more seasons

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Manufactured July 30, 2001

OldDiyer

Threads
Would-A Could-A Should-A saved the other unit till the new to you unit was all setup but I'm sure you are not alone. If it is a bad transaxle, is it possible to get the other unit back or at least remove the axle from it? Maybe it's just like Bert said and may be brake or pully noise.

LTX1000

Forum Newbie
Threads
So it looks like you have a Hydro-Gear 314-0510 transmission
IF it suddenly got noisy then you have a pulley bearing or belt problem
If it was always loud & just got louder then chances are the transmission is past it's use by date
Your mower dates from 2001 to 2005 so even if it is a late model, it is near 20 years old
The 314 was not a particularly robust unit and is good for 1000 to 1500 hours
So if the brake is not dragging then the trans is sending a message of good-bye
The cheap & nasty test is to park on a hill turn the engine off and give the mower a push down the hill.
If it resists being pushed and stops the instant you stop pushing then the tranny is good
If it takes off like a frightened bunny rabbit then the unit is shot
If it slowly continues to roll down the hill then an oil ( and filter ) change to a heavier grade of oil may add a few more seasons
I don't know the history of the mower, e.g. hours. When I got the engine running, I put it in gear the first time with my fingers crossed not knowing what to expect being it was sitting up for two years out in the weather. It moved forward, noisy, but no slip or drag. I moved forward and back in low several times increasing the distance a little each time. I then went through all the gears driving around the yard. The noise stayed at the same level no matter what speed or in forward or reverse. I kept the RPMs Constance at 3600. I didn't think about the idler pulley, clutch or PTO because the noise seemed to be coming from the rear. I jacked in the rear end up and rotated the wheels listening for a bearing noise. No noise there. Before I drop the transmission, I think I will check the idler pulley.
Oh! what drives the cooling fan? Should it be free wheeling in either direction when the transmission is not engaged? It feels like the center of the fan hub may be stripped out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Whoa for a minute the model number posted says Hydrostatic transaxle but you are indicating Gear type transaxle. So which is it?