LGT, 2654, Kohler, Electrical Issues, PTO Switch, Fuse melting,

biggertv

Threads
  • / LGT, 2654, Kohler, Electrical Issues, PTO Switch, Fuse melting,
Clutch is getting Worn, more distance between Plates equals more Current when engaged. Very similar to A/C clutch on a vehicle. Replace or Adjust. Could be Dirt or Debris in clutch. Blow it out with compressed air. Some Electric clutches have shims(washers) you can remove to compensate for wear. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Mower bandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replace the pto clutch and that should fix all your problems

Cool-Ace

Threads
First I want to say Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. After going thru and making many repairs to melted wiring most likely started by previous owner who slipped in a 35 amp fuse to make a quick sell. I replace the fuse holder put in the required 20 amp fuse, replaced the PTO switch and 2 wires coming from it as well part of 2 wires going the the hour meter not sure why they had it wired thru the clutch, the fuse and the switch but all fixed and wired in a fuse holder to the clutch. Fired it up started fine switched on mowed maybe 2 to 4 foot when I hear it stop blades. So inconclusion it took out the 7.5 fuse but saved everything else. So confirmed the clutch is bad. Biggertv said I could adjust the clutch but I have a feeing it has been done and just wore out so going to order one. Again Thank you for your help. :)

Marlebone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I seem to have the same problem, clutch replaced and fuse amp increased from 20 to 26. Mower ran about 10 hours and then quit. We can get this fixed. Ideas?

Cool-Ace

Threads
I seem to have the same problem, clutch replaced and fuse amp increased from 20 to 26. Mower ran about 10 hours and then quit. We can get this fixed. Ideas?
After I spent about 100$ for new PTO cut wire as it had wrong pigtail and put it on it again blew the fuse. My problem may or may not have been the PTO so I kept my old one as both tested the same ohms. The real problem was who ever put in the 30 amp fuse has cause the wires to get to hot and melted together letting wires to cross each other burning out even more wires. I fixed and spliced about 6 or 7 wires in all but that has fixed my issue. I am still looking for old mower with same wire harness to replace all the wiring. See it even cause it to keep blowing out the PTO Switch and just glad it neve caught on fire. there is a reason why not to got up bigger on fuses. I am now running I think a 10 amp or maybe 7.5 what the book calls for. Hope you don't get this problem burn up you wires. Make sure to clean the wires and double check to be sure they are not stuck/melted together.

:cool:-Ace

Marlebone

Forum Newbie
Threads
my Ferris is a IS 3000zx bought in 2006 with 1550 hours. I run it about 100 hrs a season, So, your comments about some old mower parts intrigues me. We are having no luck at all with new parts trying to fit an old machine. And, I caught a whiff of something hot just before the PTO shut down. Local repairman to pick it up for more repair, but we cannot seem to get this right.

Cool-Ace

Threads
my Ferris is a IS 3000zx bought in 2006 with 1550 hours. I run it about 100 hrs a season, So, your comments about some old mower parts intrigues me. We are having no luck at all with new parts trying to fit an old machine. And, I caught a whiff of something hot just before the PTO shut down. Local repairman to pick it up for more repair, but we cannot seem to get this right.
This sounds like you have a Zero turn. IDK anything about them. I stick with the AYP line they are easy to works on as they all pretty much the same once you remove the hood. ;) Maybe your repair man will find the issue. I used to run mostly the 42 inch but moving to this place in 08 with 3 acres at 80% grass I needed to keep 2 or 3 going all the time. Mosly due to breaking the deck spindles. Big flaw with them 3 bolt type not strong enough cast aluminum. so got a few 48s and 54 going plus I use a front scape blade on one and got a scoop in front of another great for moving some much around for the misses! :)

Marlebone

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes, zero turn..up until this year, it has been a trooper, comfortable, gets the job done ..I am just hoping someone who reads this might have an idea, it is expensive and it keeps having the same problem, makes me crazy.

Cool-Ace

Threads
yes, zero turn..up until this year, it has been a trooper, comfortable, gets the job done ..I am just hoping someone who reads this might have an idea, it is expensive and it keeps having the same problem, makes me crazy.
Have you read all the responses I have got in this post? like 3 pages of them and these guys helped me find my problem with checking and looking over every little wire. Had I not pulled out my battery I may never had seen the melted wires. You may want to pull the PTO clutch and see if it will keep running with it off or at least unplug it from power.