Lawn pricing

metz12

Threads
I have a small lawncare business that i just started this past summer. but i feel like the price i charge is wrong. if i can do the job by myself and its not to intense then i cahrge 10bucks an hour but if i have to bring somebody else in to help then i usually charge 20bucks an hour. can anybody help me out on what you guys charge? I usually mow lawns and clear leaves but sometimes i cut trees and split them for firewood. thanks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a small lawncare business that i just started this past summer. but i feel like the price i charge is wrong. if i can do the job by myself and its not to intense then i cahrge 10bucks an hour but if i have to bring somebody else in to help then i usually charge 20bucks an hour. can anybody help me out on what you guys charge? I usually mow lawns and clear leaves but sometimes i cut trees and split them for firewood. thanks.

There are numerous ways to charge for lawn-care. You can charge by the square foot, by the hour by the cut and so no. The first thing to look at would be your competitors and find out some of the pricing in your area. Just FYI if you are charging $10 an hour your way to cheap, the national average rate by the hour is between $30 and $50 a man hour but that can vary on the business and location. I personally charge by the cut and charge extra for any side work they want like bed cleaning, hedge trimming etc.

The things you need to calculate are your expenses like License fees, fuel costs for your equipment and vehicles, liability insurance, labor costs, unemployment insurance for employees (if you have them), travel time and mileage, office overhead, equipment maintenance, interest paid on any loans, (if any ) and repairs, all need to be budgeted into your estimate for a lawn service price.

Last edited:
Threads
I agree with everything that Ric said, but how long does it take you to mow a lawn?? If it only takes you an hour to mow the lawn then you only make $10?! That is definitely too low.

metz12

Threads
Thanks guys that really helps. I tell everybody that I work for that they pay for the gas (for transport and for my equipment). I got the idea from one of the first people I worked for and it has worked ever since! but you helped me out alot. thanks again.

Threads
Thanks guys that really helps. I tell everybody that I work for that they pay for the gas (for transport and for my equipment). I got the idea from one of the first people I worked for and it has worked ever since! but you helped me out alot. thanks again.

Just curious, how long does it take you to do an average-sized lawn?

metz12

Threads
I push mow alot of lawns. i would say around 2 hours. give or take. I do this one guys with a rider and i run it pretty much wide open and it takes me 1hour and a half. its like regulation soccer field size. i get 15 for that because i have to bring my own mower.

Threads
I push mow alot of lawns. i would say around 2 hours. give or take. I do this one guys with a rider and i run it pretty much wide open and it takes me 1hour and a half. its like regulation soccer field size. i get 15 for that because i have to bring my own mower.

OK. Yeah I would say to raise your prices a bit. I'm glad you said it takes you two hours and not like 30 minutes because that way you are getting $20 and not $5 for your rate of $10/hr. But you could still get more per lawn.

CZLawnCare

Threads
Diffinately raise your prices, i do 4 lawns an hour in my area and charge 20-25 per lawn.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
CZLawnCare said:
Diffinately raise your prices, i do 4 lawns an hour in my area and charge 20-25 per lawn.

Must be town houses.
I charge $35 a man hour or women hour as my wife works with me. Our easiest yard takes a hour. Could take 15 mins if we was a mow and go company.

Your getting $10 a hour so your working for free
Is that all you think your worth?
You can get a job at a fast food place and make $10 a hour that's more than you make now.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

metz12

Threads
Thanks guys. I guess I was undercharging.