Lawn Mower Jacks

Born2Mow

Threads
In my mind, lifting is not the issue. Having a setup that insures the jack will not pop-out while you're working under the equipment is the most important thing.

Last week I saw weld-on equipment jacks at Tractor Supply. I stopped because they looked exactly like the jack that came with my Exmark. These even had the short piece of tubing that you would weld on to the equipment, thus allowing you to jack more safely because the jack was firmly secured to the weld-on tube.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/reese-towpower-7079500-weld-on-jack-5-000-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Looks really tempting for $32 !! And they had a larger size in stock too.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

Works great
Pshhhhh. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 80 bucks! worth every penny until it crushes you.
1614728625776.png

100 td

Threads
My 800mm lift floor jack does the job for what I need but at $80 it would sure make things easy for some folks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I just use a floor jack, and i have some extra big jackstands, jack in the middle and a stand under each front axle/steering arm.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pshhhhh. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 80 bucks! worth every penny until it crushes you.
View attachment 55586
I have that HF lift and retired it. It won't lift big mowers plus it is not very sturdy. I spent good money for the lift i use now and it is worth every cent to me. It will lift 750 lbs. and is very sturdy and stable. I bet my life on it every time i get under a mower on it many times a week.

Lawn Addict
Threads
During mow season, I just use my floorjack & jackstands.. But during winter storage, I made 4 wheel dollys for it, that I put my z on. I can pull it out to do whatever on & later just push it back in it's place.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have that HF lift and retired it. It won't lift big mowers plus it is not very sturdy. I spent good money for the lift i use now and it is worth every cent to me. It will lift 750 lbs. and is very sturdy and stable. I bet my life on it every time i get under a mower on it many times a week.
That's why I went with the bigger jack myself. The problem with the larger HF jack was the H saddle they welded on so I removed it. No problems raising the front ends of the 72" Hustler Super Z or the JD Z950M that work on. When comes more serious work I do use jack stands on the asphalt driveway. Currently having to get new 6 ton stands as HF recalled all of mine. Now I only got a couple pair of 3 ton stands.

I think my next lift style like the HF unit would need spring loaded wheels so the jack can be slide under things.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's why I went with the bigger jack myself. The problem with the larger HF jack was the H saddle they welded on so I removed it. No problems raising the front ends of the 72" Hustler Super Z or the JD Z950M that work on. When comes more serious work I do use jack stands on the asphalt driveway. Currently having to get new 6 ton stands as HF recalled all of mine. Now I only got a couple pair of 3 ton stands.

I think my next lift style like the HF unit would need spring loaded wheels so the jack can be slide under things.
Years ago i was working on a small tractor and almost knocked it off jack stands while under it. I have a couple pair of stands but would rather use the lift if i am under something. I didn't have the rear brakes locked on the tractor so stupid on me. The lift helps with stupid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some thoughts on mower stands
I now use a 2 ton straddle yard crane to work on mowers.
Prior to that I used an engine crane
Why buy a single use product when you can make a multi use product do the job .
If you look around you can still get engine cranes with U shaped legs rather than the cheaper V shape, or if you can weld the V type can be converted to a U type so the legs go outside the mower & not under it.
Add a spreadder bar & you can lift the whole mower 4 wheels off the ground in a single lift.
If you jack up the front to service the blades it is prudent to remove spark plugs and give the engine a spin when it is back on the ground as fuel or oil can hydrolock the engine when lifted head down.

As for jack stands the best ones you can use are builders props.
We call them Accro Props down here as Accro was the original makers
Steel ones are good for 10 tons & alloy ones about 4 tons, a lot more robust than any car / truck stand I have ever seen

fieldhand1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I back up on car ramps and use a 6000lb. strap. And the cats like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_204952931_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230327_204952931_HDR.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 10