Lawn Boy Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

msinabottle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pics are do-able... Not tonight in the rain, but very do-able.

The early '80's Lawn Boy's had a plastic 'shut off' valve, like a motorcycle's, with a big rubber gasket held against the valve arm by a spring-steel clip. Mine quite recently has started leaking right through the bottom of the valve when the valve is in the "off' position--I kept wondering why the tank was empty. The rubber gasket is a thick neoprene disk with four holes in it, two engage pins on the valve arm, the other two allow gas to flow down from the gas tank into the fuel line through a cut-out in the valve arm. I think in the 30 years I've had the beast the valve seat has worn a bit, so that even the new gasket I bought and put aside for the eventuality is too thin to keep the fuel from leaking. One thought is to make a neoprene 'shiv' to make up the missing thickness, another is to seal the old hole--I've had lovely luck with 'Seal All' --and tap in a new valve which could be serviced or replaced.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I will unleash the Nikon at first opportunity.

Best!

msinabottle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Survivors from the '80's

All right, you asked for pictures... I had a horrid time uploading them, that is NOT the friendliest interface... There are more views in my album. Here's the in-use, leaking 5247:
msinabottle-albums-msinabottle-s-1980-s-lawn-boys-picture6353-lawnboys86.jpg

Right here's where it's leaking, right down from the valve, not through the air filter or the junction with the fuel line:
msinabottle-albums-msinabottle-s-1980-s-lawn-boys-picture6355-lawnboys88.jpg

And here's the Utility Mower, as far as I know unstarted--the mud on the wheels I think goes back to Dad wheeling it into the shed:
msinabottle-albums-msinabottle-s-1980-s-lawn-boys-picture6340-lawnboys78.jpg

Here's the engine:
msinabottle-albums-msinabottle-s-1980-s-lawn-boys-picture6339-lawnboys77.jpg

Any suggestions about how to stop the gas leak through the fuel valve stem--I replaced the gasket--would be very welcome.

Best!

rms61moparman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have a Lawn Boy yet.
That is the reason I'm here as I reasearch everything to death before I buy.
Just looking for the best models and or the models with inherent problems that I should avoid.

Mike

Fireman 123

Threads
rms61moparman said:
I don't have a Lawn Boy yet.
That is the reason I'm here as I reasearch everything to death before I buy.
Just looking for the best models and or the models with inherent problems that I should avoid.

Mike

Not sure if you're in the new, or used market. I know nothing about the newer Lawnboy mowers. My suggestion would be a Gold Series, self propelled with the F series 2 cycle engine, and an aluminum deck. These were produced in the mid-90's. It would be an added bonus to me to find one with the metal Walbro carb, vs the plastic LB carb. I say that because that's what I primarily mow with and love it.

dragan322

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2-cycle S19ZPM that I bought new around 1992. Still running after all these years. Hoping to get another 20 out of it. dragan322, Indiana, PA

thehemikid

Threads
Hello all,...
...I bought a LB 10227 (didn't know that at the time)... idk, maybe 2-3 months ago & attached it to my 721D Grasshopper for mowing a steep bank that's not very deep but long. I didn't feel like fighting a push mower on a bank ever 8 or so days. I figured the LB would be better sense the oil was mixed & I didn't have to worry about the crank-case oil deal on the steep slope but hoped the carb/fuel bowl would work at that angle. I figured if it had fuel problems at a 28* angle I'd try an rotate the carb if possible by some fabrication (thinking at the time). I needed one with the gas fill cap on the left side cause that would be up hill while mowing. First one I found had that & started fine, so I bought it for $35.
...Mowed with it about 3 times, (carb works fine), then the coil quit firing. Read around on this forum for a while & found out about baking the coil. Didn't like the Idea of the coil in my food oven so I just found an old hair dryer from my 70's hair days :biggrin:, pulled the cover on the mower & put it right on the coil. 168* was as hot as it would get & left it there for 20 min., & it fired right up. I've had to heat it again so I searched around here again & ....Thanks to ...

...Gene123 for the "Parts source recommendation" thread, & RobertBrown for the Amazon idea post, for a replacement coil. I came in yesterday, I fired er up today. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Proto 1.jpg
    Proto 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 46

bdbinga

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to the forum and have a new to me1986 Lawn Boy model 8035 that I got from a friend. It sat in his garage unused for over 15 years. He wanted to make sure it ran before he brought it to me so he tried to start it. The ,power wouldn't start so he put gas in it with very little oil and got it started. He ran the mower for about 10 minutes. He said a few sparks came out of the bottom so he turned it off and brought it to me. The mower starts very easy now but when idling the engine pops and it doesn't seem to have the power of my old Lawn Boy while cutting. It leaves a trail of cut grass out of the right side that doesn't go into the bag and seems to bog down in taller grass. I'm hoping someone on the forum has a suggestions on what might be wrong and if it is worth fixing.

Fireman 123

Threads
Were the "sparks" he saw possibly due to the motor being out of time, and actually backfiring (you said it pops)? This can cause your issues. I'd pull the flywheel and see if the key has been sheared. Keep us updated, and we'll do our best to help you.

robinb66

Threads
Sorry for the delay my names Robin Barnard been working on mowers since I was 13 years old now 45 went high svchool took box-office tech classes while.attending Monett high school go cubs graduated in 84 from monett High school and voc-tech small engines class with directors honor roll in small engines repair went junior.and.senior year.

TJM_70

Threads
I'm new...proud owner of a d-series 19" and an f-series 21".

2 stroke FOREVER!